Whuppin' up on those "Dot" powders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Whuppin' up on those "Dot" powders

Post by earlmck »

I use Green Dot and Red Dot powders in many of my plinkin' loads, primarily because I have great gobs of Green Dot and a modest amount of Red Dot left over from the old days when I loaded for shotgun. One of the less-than-endearing characteristics of the "Dots" is that they don't meter nearly as nicely as ball powders or small-kernel powders or just about any other powder except the big sticks. But my Redding BR-30 throws them fairly decent and my little Herter's pistol measure throws them a bit better yet, so I have been happy to throw all my loads from one powder measure or another.

Enter a new era in my life -- I have a newly replaced shoulder and the doctor's orders are to do almost nothing with this shoulder for a 6-week period, at which time I hopefully get new marching orders and can start rehabbing the danged thing. So I can't do any shooting (except I guess left-handed pistol shooting, but that just barely counts, the pitiful way I do it.) And reloading with the old A-2 press is a slow and awkward deal left-handed.

But left-handed I can do fairly well with the Hornady progressive press I bought about 5 years ago (or maybe more -- anyway it was when they were offering 1000 bullets free if you bought their press which made the press seem pretty cheap at the time.) But the progressive always seemed to take lots of time to set up and the autoloading powder measure didn't seem to throw a very consistent charge, and it had got out of time and I just let sit unused for the past couple of years. This 6-week do-nothing sentence motivated me to spend time getting more proficient with the progressive, which meant I had to get the book out and figure out how to get it back in time (very simple once you know how) and get much faster at changing setups (just takes practice).

So I went to town and loaded up a nice batch of .357's with my 180 grain LBT bullets and H108 (a surplus powder a scosh faster than H110 that I got one of those "real good deals" on a few years ago). And the ball powders like this H108 throw beautifully from the Hornady measures, especially the pistol one. Then I thought I'd load some 38's using Green Dot. Yikes! it throws something like +/- .3 or .4 grains, which I am not happy with. Plus occasionally it throws a charge a ways outside of even that wide range. So here I am with a meter that doesn't handle in a satisfactory way a large contingent of my favorite loads.

And then a couple of weeks ago I got the trusty Midway flyer and they have a sale on Hornady stuff, including that cute little electronic powder scale that automatically weighs out your powder charge for you. Yep, I got one and it does indeed handle the danged "Dots" very nicely.

Here's the setup:
Autoscale1.jpg
The scale set to 5.5 grains of Red Dot for a super light 454 load (such as a fellow with new shoulder hardware might prefer).
Autoscaleintocartridge.jpg
Lyman Carbide sizing die in station 1, a Lee powder-thru expanding die in station 2 where I am adding the measured charge of Red Dot, and then the seating die in station 5, leaving empty stations 3 and 4 where I can look down and see that I got the powder in the case.
Autoscaleproduction.jpg
A view of the setup. I was worried that the vibration from the loading press would badly upset the electronic scale process but it didn't seem to be much of a factor.

The scale takes a while to measure out its charge, so it would kinda' drive you nuts if you used it to charge a tray full of cases, the way you operate with a meter. But in the progressive process it works out just about right: by the time you do the primer seat step, then place a new case in slot 1 and a bullet in the case in slot 4 and then run the handle down, the scale has just about finished up measuring out the next charge. Works just fine for my leisurely pace. I didn't do any time trials but my sense is that I can go a bit faster one-handed with the progressive/powder scale than I would be able to go two-handed with the single-stage/powder measure. And when you only have the one hand -- well hey!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Whuppin' up on those "Dot" powders

Post by milton »

GREAT setup !!!! :D Not one of the "dots" but a powder that I really like is 800-x but it runs through my measure like corn flakes.Your system should handle it very nicely!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Looks good Earl. Glad to see you're not just "vegging" but are using your time wisely. I'm still using a beam scale and an ancient Herters powder measure which I modified by making my own charge barrel with fine thread adjustment and a lock nut. Oh, I have a couple of Dillon measures for the 550 and a Lyman 55 for black powder complete with drop tube but I am envious of your electronic scale/measure.
Heal well and God's Blessing on you.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love Red Dot and run it in my Redding measure . I find the Redding ,BR w/pistol scale installed, does a good ,if not perfect,job of metering. Good enough for the girls I shoot with. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lookin' good Earl, my electronic scale ain't bothered by the vibrations of the press, but the tumbler runnin' at the other end of the bench sure does! I use a lot of RedDot, and find that it even meters well thru my Dillon measure on the progressive, if I keep my charges on the moderate side.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Glad for your success... I love my electronic powder dispenser... I discovered that same timing thing as you with my electronic powder dispenser and progressive press... However I discovered a down side of the dispenser, with ball powder I got some splashing of it out of the pan ... No problem, the rifle I tried ball in likes 4198...

Good luck & Mend well
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Ben_Rumson wrote: However I discovered a down side of the dispenser, with ball powder I got some splashing of it out of the pan ... No problem, the rifle I tried ball in likes 4198...

Good luck & Mend well
That won't ever be a problem for me, Ben. Any ball powder throws just fine from the measure on the press, so I will always go that route with balls or the little sticks like the Reloader powders. It is somewhat faster when you can use the case-activated powder drop feature.

As long as the scale handles the dots and the big sticks, then that is what I need it for. And I just tried the scale with 4759 which is one that doesn't meter super great and it did fine (after I made adjustments to the trickle speed). Now to set up and load some 260 Remington cast loads with said 4759. I'm trying to get ready with easy-kickin' loads in all my rifles for when the shoulder will let me shoot again!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've used both Red Dot and Green Dot in pistol loads for years, at full or reduced charges. I use it also for reduced rifle charges in old hyphenated calibers, and it works very well!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As I've mentioned, I'm not a big reloader, and don't put together "match quality" rounds. I use a set of Lee Dippers, and find it convenient. If I get into reloading in a big way, one of those electric gadgets will be on the list for sure....FWIW, I can dip a charge about as good as my Lee Perfect Powder Measure will throw a charge. I weigh every few dips to make sure.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Neither Lee Adjustable Charge bars nor Autodisks nor my RCBS Uniflow powder measure can handle that Red Dot (or Trail Boss, for that matter) with the utmost reliability, so I have a large amount on hand, rarely used. I use the Lee scoops and/or a scale, which takes more time than I care to spend for moderate amounts of handgun fodder.

Thanks for the review of the Hornady device. Some time in the future I might go that way, since I'd like to put Red Dot into play. But fustest I have to set aside some cash this next year for that slick bayonet chronograph.

Get well soon!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've used my Belding and Mull and my Lyman 55 powder measure with all the Dot powders, and had good consistent loads.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote:I've used my Belding and Mull and my Lyman 55 powder measure with all the Dot powders, and had good consistent loads.
Yes, and my Redding handles them OK and my Harrell's handles them OK (say plus or minus two-tenths) and my Herter's pistol measure handles them a little better yet. But the Hornady measure operated automatically in my progressive process (at least the way I operate things) doesn't do well with the dots.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry