Two on friday with the 50 Beowulf

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Two on friday with the 50 Beowulf

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got a pair on my friends property Friday at 10 AM . I was using his AR-15 in 50 Beowulf with a 200 grain non lead bullet . I forget what he called it , it was a factory load that's non expandible but frangible I suppose is the way to say it .

Shot one at 50 yards and the other at 60 yards . The bullets worked okay other then the fact they both ran 40-60 yards after the shot .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Two on friday with the 50 Beowulf

Post by EdinCT »

Good shooting! So will the AR replace walnut and blued steel?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

EdinCT wrote:Good shooting! So will the AR replace walnut and blued steel?
Not hardly !

Although I may get back into the idea of getting a Stag Arms Model 7 in 6.8 SPC .

I may also try this 50 caliber thing with the bullets I loaded for it . The Hornady rubber tipped I think 325 grainers .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a brass catcher bag on that thing . I didn't realize until after the shooting was done the second round stove piped . Although I think me moving and taking a rest may have been the cause of that . Next time may have to loose a piece or two of the expensive brass !
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

You just pilin em up there 6pt
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:I had a brass catcher bag on that thing . I didn't realize until after the shooting was done the second round stove piped . Although I think me moving and taking a rest may have been the cause of that . Next time may have to loose a piece or two of the expensive brass !
Two thoughts
  • a) just mark the spot and come back later with a metal detector - shouldn't be much other metal there to slow you down.

b) I made a nice 'brass catcher' for a Mini-14 by using a couple little metal clamps on a spare wooden handguard to hold a piece of 3/16" metal dowel rod I could insert in them, bent so it would hold a piece of 12"x8" suede leather about six inches to the right of the ejection port. No 'jams' since it didn't confine the brass, but they didn't fly far - just hit it and tended to drop straight down after that.
The only thing is my suede was a very light grey color, and for hunting I might advise a darker tone, or you could use heavy camo canvas or whatever.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I had a brass catcher bag on that thing . I didn't realize until after the shooting was done the second round stove piped . Although I think me moving and taking a rest may have been the cause of that . Next time may have to loose a piece or two of the expensive brass !
Two thoughts
  • a) just mark the spot and come back later with a metal detector - shouldn't be much other metal there to slow you down.

b) I made a nice 'brass catcher' for a Mini-14 by using a couple little metal clamps on a spare wooden handguard to hold a piece of 3/16" metal dowel rod I could insert in them, bent so it would hold a piece of 12"x8" suede leather about six inches to the right of the ejection port. No 'jams' since it didn't confine the brass, but they didn't fly far - just hit it and tended to drop straight down after that.
The only thing is my suede was a very light grey color, and for hunting I might advise a darker tone, or you could use heavy camo canvas or whatever.
I don't think the color would effect anything . When I shot these two I was about 35-36 feet up the tree .
My friend that owns this thing also has an AR-10 308 he has set up with a suppressor and a Thermal scope . If that thing is usable in daylight I might try it at his house this week . I don't load for his AR-10 he just shoots factory Hornady 150 grain something or other I think .
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Non-expanding 50 Beowulf on those little things? I'm thinking I know why they were able to run after getting shot.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Panzercat wrote:Non-expanding 50 Beowulf on those little things? I'm thinking I know why they were able to run after getting shot.
Nope if you had seen the trauma inside when I cracked them open it would have blown your idea outta the water . The bullets don't expand but they supposedly kinda break apart to a degree at contact . The fact that I was about 35 feet off the ground however enabled me to see where they fell after the shots !
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

The Speer 300 gold dot works amazing on deer out of the 50B. Never had one take a step after being smacked
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Panzercat wrote:Non-expanding 50 Beowulf on those little things? I'm thinking I know why they were able to run after getting shot.
Maybe so, but had they been wearing ballistic vests, there would still be venison for the table, no?
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Good job there. I just finished a 6.8spc build. First gun I have really messed with in a long time. Really like it and may hunt this year with it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Probably a pretty big blood-hole in two places, though, and pneumothorax pretty quickly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rube Burrows wrote:Good job there. I just finished a 6.8spc build. First gun I have really messed with in a long time. Really like it and may hunt this year with it.
I have my eye on a NIB Remington R25 in 7mm-08 fully camo !

Then all I would need to do is pick up a couple hundred pieces of once fired 308 brass and resize to 7mm-08 and when I fired hunting let the brass go !
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Nice thread, just a bit sad all of your fine 444's remained in the safe.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Canuck Bob wrote:Nice thread, just a bit sad all of your fine 444's remained in the safe.
Killed a few with the 444's and cast bullets already this season and still have a month to go .

My plan is to go out in the AM where I killed the ones with the Beowulf last week , and I'll cart along the Beowulf and my 26 Nosler again . Except this time the Beowulf will be shooting my handloads with Hornady 325 grain rubber tipped bullets !