1860 Henry Spring Loaded Magazine Follower

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

1860 Henry Spring Loaded Magazine Follower

Post by rbertalotto »

It has been discussed many times on this forum and other about the possibility of the spring loaded magazine follower being released accidentally and the follower slamming into the cartridges in the magazine, setting them off with bullets against primers. There are reported cases of this happening at loading tables and during a stage when the magazine follower gets hung up on a prop and suddenly released with impending doom following.

The second issue with the 1860 Henry when used in Cowboy Action Shooting is the possibility of the magazine follower hitting the shooters hand and impeding the loading of the last three or four rounds depending on where the off hand is holding the barrel.

CAS folks will cut a piece of 3/8" dowel about 4.5" long and insert it after the ten rounds are loaded, thereby creating room for the off hand and allowing unimpeded loading of the final three or four rounds.

I decided to "Kill Two Birds With One Stone" and build an extended magazine follower that limits the possibility of #1 and serves the same purpose as #2

I've detailed the fabrication on my web site for those with access to a lathe that might want to make one or have a machinist friend who owes them a favor whip one up.

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Now some folks (not on this forum, but on others) will start to take this thread in another direction by claiming it isn't needed. "They have loaded thousands of rounds in an 1860 Henry with no issues". "We are being overly cautious". "If you can't load a Henry properly you shouldn't own one". Etc.Etc.Etc.

I suggest we let the owners of the 1860 Henry decide for themselves if this is a modification they might like to pursue.

Thanks!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 1860 Henry Spring Loaded Magazine Follower

Post by Griff »

Image nicely done.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1860 Henry Spring Loaded Magazine Follower

Post by Pete44ru »

Works for me, Roy - Nice solution ! :D