MO Deer Hunt recap!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

MO Deer Hunt recap!

Post by rbertalotto »

Well, we are back home after 2865 miles of driving! I should have been a long distance trucker as I love driving over the road.

We had an amazing week. Six folks hunting and all got "meat" deer on the first or second day.

Then it was on to Buck hunting. The game cameras set up around the property showed some amazing bucks roaming around. Not a day went by when I didn't see good bucks. But hunting "Old School" this year with a 1906 Winchester 94 and iron sights or a TC Contender pistol, the big ones were always too far away to take a good clean killing shot. I'd hate wo wound a nice buck and not be able to find it. This reservation did not hold on the meat deer as I shot my doe at 117 yards, off hand, with the Winchester. One shot...dropped in her tracks.

We shot two does and a near record buck in the exact same spot, from the same tree stand in a two day period! They all died within 6 feet of each other. I saw 13 deer in that exact same spot over the course of the week.

We never saw deer before 9AM......All deer were shot between 11am and 1:30pm.....Strange deer patterns this year.

My buddy Steve shot this 173 3/8 monster in a field at 275 lasered yards

A couple days later I was at one end of a powerline and my buddy Paul is usually at the other end. A huge buck walked out right in front of his "unoccupied" stand. About 350 yards from me. Way to long for an iron sighted rifle in my estimation. I watched it feed for 15 minutes.

I left my stand and found Paul and told him to get back into his stand and "STAY THERE!"....not 10 minutes passed when the buck showed up again not 100 yards from Paul.....BOOM! ..done! Scored 163 1/2

On the last day of the hunt, Beverly, Steve's lady friend, shot a nice buck for her first deer. Nice work. She's hooked!

The fourth record buck was shot by another buddy with a bow the day before rifle season. He hasn't sent me pictures yet. But it is a monster and scored 175+!

What a great week! Everyone went home happy and safe. What more can you ask for!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: MO Deer Hunt recap!

Post by Old Savage »

Who is the pretty girl?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

That's Bev....
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Well them are some awesome bucks & Mo. looks better all the time!!

ollogger
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WOW.....I have seen 2 bucks so far, and the antler score combined would not beat the brow tines and the half the G2s of any of those...

congrats to all
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Great adventure! It will be hard top this year.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

And here is the 4th buck that was taken with a bow

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. What a week for you and friends. Best of times
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rjohns94 wrote:Congrats. What a week for you and friends. Best of times
+1. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Where in Missouri were you hunting? Those were nice looking bucks.

I live in the Ozarks hill country which is all range or timber land with almost no agriculture and the deer around here are much smaller with proportionally smaller racks.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

BAGTIC, I have a lot of family around the Salem area they take some pretty nice deer every year.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

We are hunting in the Stover area, Morgan county. I'm blessed that I have access to nearly 2000 acres that is totally managed for deer and turkey by three friends that have moved out there within the past ten years.

We cut roads throughout the area and walking is not allowed in most of the area. All access is with ATV or golf cart. Tree stands are the preferred method. There are a few hundred acres set aside for spot and stalk if that is your liking.

Unlike Maine or New Hampshire hunting where you pattern a deer and/or actually track it through snow for miles until it makes a mistake, Mo hunting is more figuring out how the deer are transiting from feed to bedding and setting up a tree stand to intersect. Or long range "bean field" / "power line" shooting.

MO is MUCH more "Gentlemanly" that what I'm used to up here in New England. In NE you are up at 3am and on a trail or in a stand by 5:30. Freezing your noogies off!

In MO we rise at 6-6:30, eat a nice breakfast, savor a cup of coffee or two. Wander out of camp at 7:30....ride a few hundred yards, climb into a tree stand and wait. If you did your homework, and the wind is right, and you know how to shoot....You'll bring home a doe and a buck. Just about guaranteed. If you are REALLY lucky and you happen to hit the rut where the big bucks are not nocturnal, you'll have a week like we just had.....
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com