earlmck and JohndeFresno

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

earlmck and JohndeFresno

Post by milton »

Gentlemen, I have been able to put some money together and would like to buy the latest QuickLOAD software.Is now a good time or should I wait for possible changes or large updates that might be down the road?
I wish to thank you both again for previous help in this regard.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: earlmck and JohndeFresno

Post by Griff »

+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I don't have any inside info, milton. I haven't received any notices of updates but when I checked the Necco site it looks like they are selling version 3.9 now and my version is 3.6. A couple of years ago I updated from (I think) 3.4 to the 3.6 (assuming they would have added a batch of new powders, such as the Alliant Pro series). Nope, they hadn't added any powders at all that are commonly available in the U.S. I see they advertise "250 powders". Looks like vs. 3.6 has 246 powders, so maybe they have added 4 powders. Or maybe I miscounted?

So if you get vs. 3.9 I would really like to know if they have added powders of interest, such as Hodgdon's LVR and Alliant's Pro series such as Varmint, 4000, 3000... :D

The addition of new powders would be the only update that would stir my interest. I certainly wasted $20 on that so-called update I did a couple of years ago. Version 3.6 doesn't do anything I am interested in that version 3.4 didn't do. Which is does rather nicely, though.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

My version is 3.8, but I have added updates once or twice.

I can only note what Earl has said, although their site states:
"The latest CD offers more powders (218 total), cartridges (1200+) and bullets (2500+)." But my version 38.03 shows 266 entries, if you count the Bofors powder "approximations," whatever that is.

Here is a link to download what I have on my version of QuickLoad, for what it is worth:
https://app.box.com/s/atrpyu34l0gdc8zozyim

Since I have never loaded nor even seen Bofors powder, I have not looked into the whys and wherefores for that annotation on these powders.

At any rate, I would think that now is as good a time as any to purchases the latest version; otherwise, you are missing out now from the benefits of this very useful tool. Great Christmas gift from the family, if you want to drop some very broad hints.

With this ballistic software, I was able to quickly develop my favorite regular .44 Magnum handgun plinking and target load at standard handgun ranges:

A 240 gr. Magnus SWC Bevel Based Moly bullet (#701M, .430 cal., Brinnel 18-20)
9.0 gr. of Alliant Unique
CCI 300 Lg Pistol primers
Chronographed average of 1,078 fps in my 6.5 inch Taurus
(Chrono Low 1041.64; Hi 1114.63)
Chronographed at 1171 fps for a Ruger 10.5 in. Super Blackhawk; 100 fps faster.

QuickLoad predicted 1124 fps for 6.5 in.; 1224 for 10.5 in. This is an extremely accurate practice load! My handheld bench shots produced rounds touching at 15 yards. If my eyes were younger I would document tight groups at far greater distances.

Folks who discount this software versus personal experimentation fail to realize the great amount of time that it saves. For instance, you can weigh the amount of water held in your particular brass and put that data into QuickLoad for a very close approximation of how much space is available with various powders and loads, providing that you also measure the length of your bullets precisely.

That information, in turn, provides instant readouts of any of your projected loads for amount of space filled or amount of compression, and of course resultant pressure and velocity changes. When you opt for a comparison table of various powders within a burning range, you can instantly see which powders look best for, say, reasonable pressure at a more than 50% fill at a given velocity.

You will be hard put to find all of the pressure figures in any given load anywhere else. For instance, Hornady, Speer, Accurate, Barnes and other handloading books do not give individual pressure readings; they just advise you that the pressures are within tested safe ranges. And there is much, more more that this software offers, e.g. exterior ballistics for sighting in, recoil estimation based upon load and weight of firearm, and more.

And... you are very welcome. Members of this site have helped me over and over, so I'm glad to return the favor when I can.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you both very much!! I am going to try and order the software in a week or so and I will let you know how things work out!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

milton wrote:Thank you both very much!! I am going to try and order the software in a week or so and I will let you know how things work out!
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It looks like it cost less than buying a new copy of Microsoft Word, or something like that, so it should be worth the money.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "