Laser Beam Pistol Rounds!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Laser Beam Pistol Rounds!

Post by Panzercat »

Anybody else like them? I've always had a soft spot in my heart for laser beam rounds, especially in .45acp. Every time I see these things in action against ballistic gelatin, they're nasty. The other reason I like the stuff if you get low recoil out of it because of the lower mass you're throwing around. Likewise, the wide cross section of the bullet combined with their high velocity seems like a winning combination as long as you're not shooting zombie bears or something. The problem is wide spread acceptance, which makes brands like Liberty's 78gr 1900fps meteor hard to find. So cut to today and my visit to Cabelas with little Reagan and what do I find?

Ruger ARX 118gr 1300fps. Oddly enough, it looks like some of the newer .458 SOCOM ammunition. Skip to about 1:44 for the .45acp portion of the ballistic gel test, but the energy transfer is just brutal. So I threw in for two boxes and willl be tossing them down range accordingly. And because threads with pics are awesome--

I suspect they'll be little monsters against whatever I inflict them upon :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Laser Beam Pistol Rounds!

Post by TedH »

Been seeing them advertised, but never shot them. Looks like a similar idea as the Glaser Saftey Slug. I have shot those into ballistic gel, and assuming an average sized human assailant, with no tough outer clothing, they would be devestating up to about 8" penetration.
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bearing Arms blog seems to like them.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Never heard of 'em, until now. I want bullets like in the movies... pick a 250lb male up off his feet and knock 'im back 20 feet! I haven't found 'em yet... and don't think this is them either. Give me a nice 200JHP of the "flying ashtray" design and 890fps! I'm responsible for the rest.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Griff wrote:Never heard of 'em, until now. I want bullets like in the movies... pick a 250lb male up off his feet and knock 'im back 20 feet! I haven't found 'em yet... and don't think this is them either. Give me a nice 200JHP of the "flying ashtray" design and 890fps! I'm responsible for the rest.
Well, I don't think this is them either, so we're in agreement there :p
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Never heard of 'em, until now. I want bullets like in the movies... pick a 250lb male up off his feet and knock 'im back 20 feet! I haven't found 'em yet... and don't think this is them either. Give me a nice 200JHP of the "flying ashtray" design and 890fps! I'm responsible for the rest.
:roll: I've seen it on TV....yer doin' it wrong.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Griff wrote:Never heard of 'em, until now.

There was a thread, here, about the new technology, this last May: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... mo#p729159

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

More video. I'm thinkin' I might like these a whole bunches.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I wonder if they perform differently in left hand versus right hand twist barrels?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Hope they perform better than the glasers that were mentioned.

Time will tell if they live up to the ad hype. The discussion Ive seen elsewhere so far hasnt been very positive.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

What he said. But that is an interesting looking round. I hadn't heard of them until now.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I's doable, just not with strictly owner c energy transfer.

Figure out how to hit em with a bullet that involuntary stimulates a mass muscular spazam in the legs and you could throw a body quite a ways....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I would first go out and shoot a bunch of critters starting with cats and dogs. That always freaks people out so don't advertise it beforehand. If it won't work against a german shepherd size dog very well it ain't gonna work on something larger and meaner very well.

The problem with these kinds of things is while it can look good in jello it often does not translate into the real world. If you wouldn't use it against a 150 pound deer why would you trust it against a 150 pound human?

I did that kind of testing years ago with some supposedly super manstopper rounds. You couldn't stop a 75 pound dog with them. The company that produced them was very kind about my testing and critique. They took me off their mailing list and never again answered a request for ammo to test. :)