Screw it. I'm going hunting.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Screw it. I'm going hunting.

Post by Old Ironsights »

I may have to go alone.

I may not have a honey hole.

I may have to take a low clearance family station wagon off-road into a BLM area that I have thus far only been able to "scout" from satellite and a Forestry trail.

But I will take a headlong jump into the depths below Dante's 9th Circle before I give this up...

But this is modern hunting... Yay.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Screw it. I'm going hunting.

Post by Blaine »

Sounds like a good time. I wish all the time that somebody made a Honda Trail 90-ish scoot again.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Go for it
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

BlaineG wrote:Sounds like a good time. I wish all the time that somebody made a Honda Trail 90-ish scoot again.
Ain't it the truth? When I was a kid I scoffed at those who rode 'way back into the wild and woolly. Walking was the way to go -- piece of cake! At age 62.5, a small, light conveyance like the Trail 90 would be much appreciated.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

What you need is a side by side or at least a quad. This Polaris XP 900 is the biggest hobby in my life. Between it and the quad I had we have put on roughly 8,000 miles of far back trails. In fair weather we average about a couple rides a week as high as 50 miles from the nearest pavement here in SW Utah.
We live within a hour of Zion, Bryce Canyon and Cedar Breaks National parks. Out of town, (Cedar City), it`s mostly BLM and trails every direction. Get with it!

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

BlaineG wrote:Sounds like a good time. I wish all the time that somebody made a Honda Trail 90-ish scoot again.
The Rokon may be heaver but also more stable. http://www.rokon.com/bikes/scout
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Hell, I cant and wont walk either but these machines will take you anywhere. I hope I don't break down though)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Booger Bill wrote:Image

Hell, I cant and wont walk either but these machines will take you anywhere. I hope I don't break down though)
I hope the bout of flash floods passed you by last week....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

That Rokon does look interesting. I suspect it, will give you a workout to use. With my RZR it has power steering and drives about easy as a car plus you can haul a lot. I do have experience as I rode MC`s forever, still fly, and had the quad and now RZR. I also am 74 fat and out of shape big time. I can ride the RZR all day, the quad worked me. Another thing, that roof is a blessing in the hot sun here and occasional thunder storm. Everything in life is a tradeoff.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

That Polygamist area is about 40 miles from us where the flood hit. I heard the weather warning on my truck radio. Earlier I was contemplating doing a ride in that general area but didn't go.
12 of the fatality's were one family! That desert scene above isn't 20 miles from the flood.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My Dad used to haul his Vespa, sans side car, out into the woods, made a pretty decent trail ride for getting away from the campsite.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have a station wagon (her car) and a 650 street bike ("mine"). A quad would cost me more than I can theoretically afford for the used pickup O need for my winter commute.

As for Bike Hunting... If I had the bread I'd be running a RE Bullet C5 with sidecar...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I wouldn't have any trouble at all trying to justify the price of a new Honda Trail 90... if one could be had.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Walking is good for the heart and lungs, legs and just about ever other part of a person. Even a person's soul... but it comes at a price. (What doesn't). My rule of thumb is to go 5 miles farther into the back country than any other hunter will go, I'' see and collect more game than he. And sometimes, a ride goes a long way to accomplish that!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Not quite a trail bike, but I've been eyeballing a Honda Ruckus to get a little farther down some Forest Service back roads...

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/ruckus.aspx
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Hate to bring this up but it sounds like many of us here are old and getting out of shape. For over the last week I have been fighting the gout and that will anchor you. I have been using a walking stick and still have sore feet to where if feels like the ground is slapping me with every step. Still I promised the wife we would take a ride on the RZR today as she wants to see if the trees are starting to turn in the high country. Now days there is a machine for every need and circumstance but it takes money.
Those little scooters/dirt bikes wont get it for me, my wife likes to go along. Besides that I know we also take along over a hundred pounds of gear and goodies.
A little over a year ago we were over 35 miles from our truck and trailer. A deer jumped in front of me, I stood on the brakes. The doe`s fawn following her I hit. The fawn was bleating and wasn't going to make it. I shot the fawn. My wife was hysterical. It was starting to get late, we already had rode way over 50 miles. Now I had a flat tire. By standing on the brake I had somehow tore off the valve stem on a tire. The tire had a tube that the previous owner had put on and I didn't know it. Somehow by locking up the tire twisted over the tube. There was no fixing it even though I had plugs and a compressor. Fortunately we were rescued by a family going to their weekend cabin in their 4 WD truck
It`s smart to ride with another person. Most often we don't. It`s smart to not ride farther than you think you can walk out. We never do. A couple years ago I was riding with another couple. We were riding two up quads. He hit a rock just wrong and knocked out his oil drain plug. I had a strap and towed them back about a dozen miles to our rigs.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rock Steady, I had a Ruckus for several years. Fun ride. Top speed about 45 mph. Just be advised the combination of modest power and unaggressive tires make it unsuitable for off-road/trail use. Just not enough traction and poop.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I had one of those in college......I agree, I wish I had it now.

does anyone make anything roughly similar??
cable
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

hfcable wrote:

Look up the Yamaha TW200, I am thinking of these as my next scoot. Sure wish they made the Trail90/110's again, but with a 12 volt system instead of the 6volt they were. it's getting hard to find decent lights in 6V any more. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote:
hfcable wrote:

Look up the Yamaha TW200, I am thinking of these as my next scoot. Sure wish they made the Trail90/110's again, but with a 12 volt system instead of the 6volt they were. it's getting hard to find decent lights in 6V any more. Todd/3leg
I was all ready to get one of those, but be advised the seat height is 31-32 inches. Not for short legged dudes like me. A long time ago, you could get a dual purpose that could be easily flat-footed, but nowadays, every company wants to make their dual purpose a pseudo- MotoXer... :roll: :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:
hfcable wrote:

I was all ready to get one of those, but be advised the seat height is 31-32 inches. Not for short legged dudes like me. A long time ago, you could get a dual purpose that could be easily flat-footed, but nowadays, every company wants to make their dual purpose a pseudo- MotoXer... :roll: :roll:
=====================

it really looks good but it is not really light weight.....weighs 278 they say....would like something much lighter though similar.

I picked this up last year from a friend.....probably the last brand new one in the world [ well, it does have about 1 mile on it, literally !!! ]

the Yamaha Big Wheel 350.....but it is even heavier, though the quad type tires give great floatation. it weighs about 325 I think I still haven't used this one at all, it is just in the garage at the cabin.

think I will sell it to a friend who wants it and keep looking. I do have several quads, but would like to have the option of something really light and small and easy to handle and transport.
cable
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

hfcable wrote:

Yep -- Honda . Well -- they make a modern interpretation -- its now a 125cc, but with electric start -- but you'll note that the same decades old laid down engine configuration is still intact ---- i would imagine if i bought one today and took care of it, it would still be going in 30 years

They come with slick tires similar to what the kid jumping is on, but i'm sure a set of knobbies could be wrangled into the deal fairly easy

its called the "Grom"

--- i'm wanting one for campground cruising - ive also been doing a lot of ski resort mountain bike riding lately, -- one of these would be perfect for running around the little mountain towns when i'm not riding my bike :)

--- been slow at work though, so tough to make the numbers work on any new "toys" unless they are tax write offs though :cry:

----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Still no way for me to put one of those bikes on/in a small station wagon... :?

BUT

Didn't have my camera with me, and the phone I had with me for safety has no camera either.

Still:

About 100-110 lbs wet. :?: No way to check. About 2 yrs old I think.

154 yds, Savage 99C 150gr .308. Dead less than 6ft from POI.

Hams, loins and backstrap. Make some good meat sticks for Deer season.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Perfect
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very Good!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Way back when bumpers were solid things attached to the frame, you could get bumper carriers for light bikes. I wonder if anyone is making something similar that could be used in a receiver hitch?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Griff wrote:Very Good!
Plus one! Also, great pictures Bill...is that your trusty Smith pre model 10 on your hip?
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Sure is! Once in awhile I carry the old Heavy Duty below it. The heavy duty was .38 special. I found a model 21 barrel for it in .44 special. (Same gun except caliber). I had a gun smith friend swap barrels and rechamber the cylinder. Nothing else. I believe some day I might get that one reblued. Had that done in the late 1980`s. The .44 special is in 5". Both shoot better than me.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Malamute wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Way back when bumpers were solid things attached to the frame, you could get bumper carriers for light bikes. I wonder if anyone is making something similar that could be used in a receiver hitch?
plenty --- lots of options out there starting at Harbor Freight and the like ---- I've seen 350-400 lb bikes successfully carried around
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote:Image

BUT

Original thread speaking of getting in the backwoods? Seems like a very moderate direction change --not much - just an evolution of the original idea

---- plenty of ways to put a bike on the back of a station wagon if it has a hitch

-----looks like you scored-congrats
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

How about one of these?

Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I've never regretted a day that I blew off from work to take the gun out for a walk in the woods. Enjoy :!: