Seriously! Another project???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Seriously! Another project???

Post by Mainehunter »

I need another gun project like I need a whole in my head! :roll: About a month a go I posted here that I did some work for my neighbor and wanted to repay me by giving his Winchester model 70 in 225 Win. I thought about it and talked to him a few more times but couldn't make up my mind. Well time passed and I completely forgot about the whole ordeal.

Came home earlier today from a service call and I was just about to walk into the house when my neighbor pulls up. He wanted to pay up what was owed to me and hands me a few C notes enough to cover the job. Then he asked me if I was interested in a gun project and I said that depends, what do you have? He hands me a Savage 219B in 30-30 and said "keep it, it's yours!" We shook hands and he took off.

Other then missing the front sight and butt plate it's in really good shape. The lock up is tight, bore is pristine, trigger pull is pretty good and the firing pin seems to be intact. Up until now I never seen or handled one. I couldn't believe how light it is and it feels well balanced in my hands when I carry it. I like it! :)

Mainehunter :wink:
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Seriously! Another project???

Post by Lassiter »

Sounds like a heck of a deal!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like it too. Nice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Looks very nice. That should be a quick project. Nice gun! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had several Savage 219's, over the years - they're great little rifles.

If you intend scoping it, and want to use what appears rimfire-type grooves atop the barrel, D/T a single hole there (above the chamber) for mounting an Allen-head machine screw in the appropriate position for one of the scopes to bear against under recoil (or it'll lose zero when/if the scope slides).

You can mount shotgun & other rifle barrels (.22 Hornet is the most popular) - but not all Savage 219/220 barrels are not necessarily interchangeable.

If/when you think you might want a 2nd or 3rd barrel, please feel free to PM me before you buy, so I can edukumate you on them.

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Don't seem to need a whole lot
It's a good lookin rifle
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That would look great next to my Savage 94 16 gauge..... :mrgreen:
Please let us know how she shoots. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Thanks for the replies fellas! :) Last night I picked up from Numrich a butt plate and a spare firing pin. The front sights are all out of stock but checked with Midway and they have several ramps from Marble's and Williams to choose from.

Pete44ru.... Any suggestions on the scope base to use? one piece or two? What looks like a 3/8 dove tail slot similar to what 22's use. How about this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139713 ... uctFinding

I'll give you a shout when the times comes when I'm looking for another barrel.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've used Millet rings on a different gun, and their best feature is that they are (rough) windage adjustable, depending upon how & from which side the lower clamp screws are tightened.

Here's a set on a M-219:

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Pete44ru... Those Miller rings you got on. Are those low or medium profile? I've also looked at some mounts that convert the dove tail to weaver mounts but don't know how well they'll work. I've slugged the barrel and was surprised how tight it was the first 4" inches ahead of the chamber after that the led slug nearly fell out by itself.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Those are low rings - but it might be best to first find out if the scope you want to mount will/won't hit the barrel in low rings.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

my first center fire rifle was the 219 in 30/30 ....sold it in college and regretted it ......i now have one with again and have a 20 ga barrel fitted to it as well as a 410 barrel and a 25/20 barrel as well. a pretty neat little survival kit.
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A .25-20 Savage 219 defines rarity - an extreme value !

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Pete44ru wrote:.

A .25-20 Savage 219 defines rarity - an extreme value !

yes, i have the whole 25/20 rifle but the barrel does interchange. pretty rare and they made some in 32/20 , and 22 hornet as well... maybe a few other rare calibers too.
cable
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Maybe someday I would like to find another barrel and re-sleeve into a 25-35.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Mainehunter wrote:Maybe someday I would like to find another barrel and re-sleeve into a 25-35.

that would be nice !
cable
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

It looks nice. Like the H&R rifles wanted to be, but didn't quite make it.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

As for reloads, can I use the same data if I was going to load up for a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94? It seems there's been several discussions from various board forums regarding the receiver strengths.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Mainehunter wrote:As for reloads, can I use the same data if I was going to load up for a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94? It seems there's been several discussions from various board forums regarding the receiver strengths.

that's what I have done. but I haven't pushed it. but you CAN of course use 'pointy' bullets with no worries, and may be able to use a little longer overall length than might feed in the lever action. also I think the barrel is 26", a bit longer than most 30/30s..... so overall you may exceed the usual performance levels.
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ditto - And they were issued with only 26" barrels (anything shorter's been cut, no matter what the story may be).

FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Oh wow,

Very nice! I picked up a 220 in 16 gauge last year and really like it. I think those guns are nicer than people think single shots are supposed to be.