Vintage Win 32-40, $400

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Vintage Win 32-40, $400

Post by Gryphon Black »

I was at the Cabela's today, and saw a mod 92 or 94 in 32-40.
The wood was rough, the serial number indicates 1908 production.
The metal was looking used, but not abused. I got them to shine a light in the bore, and it looked okay. The rifling was well defined, all the way down, but might be a little rusty. I thought it looked like it could be reconditioned easily. Barrel was 20" with full length magazine.
There was a tang peep sight with a flip-up gradient scale on the barrel about where the buckhorn would be. Looked original to me, But I'm really no judge. Steel wrapover buttplate. The action looked and felt fully serviceable,, though old, and the blueing is almost totally gone. This was somebody's knockaround general service rifle, from the wear and use it shows.
Is this thing rare and worth well more than the $400, or what?
I won't be buying it, but if somebody else wants it, I thought I should post it.
Be glad to get more details on it, if anybody wants.
It's at the new Cabela's in Lacey WA, my backyard. There is another one that looks a lot like it on the same rack, and it's stamped 32 W.S.-

Gryphon
bang.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

It has to be a 94, action is not long enough for 92.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

In that caliber, it has to be a model 1894. I'm assuming it is a carbine from your description of barrel length and the ladder sight. Cabela's does not underprice their Winchesters, so I doubt that it is worth more than that. On the other hand, it is very hard to find a good shooter from that era for less than $400. If you like the gun, buy it. The 32-40 is a hard cartridge to find for sale in the stores. You'll likely have to reload for it.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If a 1894 in .32-40 and in serviceable condition, easily worth that. Even tho' momma told me NO MORE guns, I'd have bought it. You sure there wasn't a "1" in front of that 400? :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

I'm sure there wasn't a "1" in front of it. I asked if it was right.
The main reason, I think, that it was priced that way is the wood. The fore end had about seven notches carved in it on the left side, each about an inch long. Maybe somebody's deer count? The butt stock had a hole like a lanyard hole drilled through it, about 5/8 of an inch wide. The finish was almost totally gone, as if the wood had been sanded with 300 grit sandpaper.
The action felt fine, not rough at all, and not sloppy either. All the stuff I could see from the open breech looked original, so I think it was kept clean, and not shot a zillion times. Just wasn't babied on the outside.
If I was inclined toward this rifle, I'd try to scrub the bore clean with a little brasso or buffing compound, nothing rough, and put a finish on the wood, and call it a venerable old warhorse, and take it to the range a lot.
As I say, there's no way I can buy this thing, but I thought it was worth mentioning. 32-40 I never seen before, figgerd mebbe somebody out there would be dying to have this darling.
bang.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Where can I send the money? Get back in there and offer 'em $250! Mind ya, you can hold onto it, shoot it or whatever, I'll be thru your way eventually & pick it up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Was just back in today, looking at rifle cases, and I couldn't find it on the rack. I think maybe it got put on hold or something. The .32 Win Spec was still there. That one is priced at $600. Looked like the same setup, only the wood is in better shape. Mighta been brothers in the same gun cabinet.
bang.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh well, got my eye on an 1851 Colt the wife sez I can't have either. Something 'bout "projects" and "completed"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Griff wrote:Oh well, got my eye on an 1851 Colt the wife sez I can't have either.
:lol: :lol: Has that stopped you in the past Griff?