1901 Colt Bisley value?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

1901 Colt Bisley value?

Post by jfwlb »

I have a question for everyone, and especially Grizz(I think, he seems to have changed his profile pic and I'm not sure if he is the SAA expert here or not anymore).

I have a line on a 1901 Colt Bisley in .45 Long Colt(blued). It is in good condition but has a turn line and a slight crack in the right side grip panel.

I have tried looking online at gunbroker and ArmsAmerica but the prices seem to fluctuate wildly.

I am hoping someone can give me a realistic price for this so I know whether or not to pick it up.

Thanks,

John
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 1901 Colt Bisley value?

Post by gamekeeper »

Sixgun could could give you a pretty accurate figure too.... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Yep, paging Six! Forget about insurance matters, you are needed here.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

We need pictures man. The price will swing from $600 to $6000 depending on condition. As many good crisp photos as you care to put up will really help in determining what it's worth.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Sixgun! That's his name! For the life of me I couldn't remember that. I was trying to find a post in one of the threads by him, because I remember what his profile photo is, but couldn't come up with his screen name.

I do have one picture and I'm waiting on others. I'll try to post the pic:

John
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pretty nice old Bisley but that blue frame is a sure tip-off that it's been re-blued since the frame almost certainly came case colored. Bisley prices have risen quite a bit in the last few years especially for guns that have not been messed with. If the bore and chambers are sorta shiney and the action is tight and correct it should make a good shooter. Depending on location it should be worth in the 1200 to 2000 dollar range. Just my WAG.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

So I would add two items which you can ignore if you just like it and want it to shoot.
I'm a anal old time antique collector been doing that for a long time and always consider the financial angle if it doesn't match the above condition. (I've completely paid for all my kids college costs this way)
1) It has ZERO collector value, will never increase in value and, a no finish would be worth more.
2) It's post 1898 and even if it was of collector grade it would still be worth 5x less valuable then one made several years earlier.

It would be a cool shooter, but that's all it is, pay accordingly.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

For the sake of comparison, I will show the first generation Colts that I own. The top picture has 2, they are the first and last guns in that picture. The second is all first generation guns, all post 1900 that I fire smokeless loads through.

Condition is the most important component in the value. Caliber and barrel length figure in as well. The Bisley in the second picture is a scarce variation in that it is a 38-40 with the 7 1/2 inch barrel. The grips are complete and fit the gun. It isn't pristine, but in very good condition. Caliber, barrel length and condition would put this gun worth somewhere around $3500.00-$4000.00.

Bisley's were developed for target shooting, thus the longer barrel is more desirable. 45 Colt would be more desirable than a 32-20 but perhaps not as much as 44-40 and 38-40.

Short barrel, and blued finish puts this gun in a shooter category. If it locks up correct and all notches are where they should be in the hammer you might have a $1400.00 gun. I would not pay that myself, but realistically it would be worth that.

Another thing to keep in mind is that no matter what you pay for it, you will have to deal with it's current condition when you want to trade it or sell it. I never buy any gun that I don't first consider what it will take to sell it. For every excuse that you overlook to buy it, you will have to convince someone else of those same conditions.

If you just have to have a Bisley and you can get this one and be happy with it, that is a decision you need to make. Myself, I wouldn't pay $1000.00 for it...

jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks a Lot! everybody for your replies. Each of you posted new information to me and pointed out things I hadn't considered.

I was interested in the Bisley as an investment, not a shooter. I am going to take everyone's' advise and pass on it. I thought it looked much better than it should, and even asked the seller if it was refinished. This was his response: "Honestly I would not know how to tell.
The local gun shop said NO he said this is one fine example of a all original colt that has seen very little use and has been taken care of for 100 years. All the parts look like the finish "almost new".

If anybody is interested in this Bisley, I would be more than happy to put you in touch with seller.

Shrapnel: Great pieces! Thanks for the visual reference!

John