How About A Custom SA Revolver ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: How About A Custom SA Revolver ?

Post by Malamute »

I think in general people here are pretty encouraging and supportive of peoples projects. Polite if nothing else. I think the difference in this case is the OP asked for opinions about it, and it wasnt any particular members project, but an anonymous person on another forum.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

That little pistol looks like it's begging to be taken on long trail walks with plinking involved. The grips kinda bug me though. I'd sure like to have it.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

CowboyTutt wrote:I haven't read the whole thread on the Ruger forum but I think: A) the grips are probably mesquite or burled mesquite B) the plum color must have been deliberate C) the front cylinder/barrel gap looks good and tight, can't tell about the rear and D) the Bisley hammer might not be a bad idea using the traditional "plow" grip frame.

I don't know if everyone knows this but FA deliberately doesn't use a "Bisley-style" hammer on their "Bisley-like" grip frame because on a heavily recoiling revolver it can bite your hand. I have experienced this phenomenon on my own Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt with +P loads on occasion. You have to hold that frame very tight.

However with the plow grip frame, it could really ease cocking but not come back to bite the hand. Maybe. At any rate, might not be an issue in 357 Mag or 9mm.

Nice to hear someone mention Jim Stroh's name. His gunsmithing was first class all the way (he did two for me.)

Regards,

-Tutt

Jim T., the USFA gun looks so extremely authentic when compared to the original one. They sure do nice work!

I'm in the process of accumulating the frames and other parts to have a pair of .44 Special Ruger Vaquero's built. One of the "custom" features that will be included on both guns is the "Bisley" type hammer. The grip frame and grips are a couple of the details I haven't decided on yet, they won't have Bisley grips tho. My gunsmith does excellent work, the fit and finish will not be called into question....they will just look different.

A few years ago I had a like new Uberti '76 modified. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 76#p575452 Some people like the modified rifle, some ask why I cut up a $1,300 gun. I did it because it was mine and that's what I wanted. I love the way the rifle look, handles, and shoots, what anyone else thinks about it is their business and no real concern of mine.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

He could have avoided all the unwarranted criticism if he had cut a shallow groove where the ring is.

It seems to be a case of ego vs. function.