Kit To Reload .22 Rimfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Kit To Reload .22 Rimfire

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Kit To Reload .22 Rimfire

Post by gamekeeper »

Maybe everyone should have one..............just in case :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

On the surface it looks to be a pretty neat idea for an old fanny burp like me as long as time isn't at a premium. I only watched the first video and they loaded with Pyrodex. I'm not sure how many of my .22's I'd want to shoot Pyrodex in. This might lead to a new generation of .22's with shot out bores.

It certainly is something to think about.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Bought a caliber .223 Contender barrel when the first .22 Rimfire shortage went through. I can shoot my caliber .22 cast boolits from 500 - 2200 fps cheaper or equal to the rimfire costs. Just takes a little time casting and reloading which I enjoy doing. Plus I never lack ammo or have to "go hunting" ammo. I guess I also loose the "blasting away" aspect but I can always get out the real caliber .223 "Mouse Gun" for those fun moments. Just another option being independent of the "economic trends" engineered by a corrupt political outfit.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Once upon a time, I also had a .223 "Tender, that I bought an Owens (?) chamber insert for, which took a .22RF - eazy/peazy for the 'Tender's switchable firing pin.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I would try one just to say I did it. I memmer years ago (early-mid '60s?) seeing a 22 reloading kit in a gun magazine, but .22 ammo beings so inexpensive, it soon disappeared. I see this kit come up every once in a while on reloading forums, but I don't think it's very cost effective when one considers the reloading of centerfire .22 ammo and the kit is pretty labor intensive. I can't remember the exact cost of the kit, but remember it was too much for me... :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

We used to do similar, only using CBC brand berdan primers to get our priming compound. FFFg powder works a treat. Firecracker powder tends to burn too fast and if you use a Stinger case or the old crimped tip birdshot cases then you're likely to blow the head off, leaving a sticky extraction problem. Don't ask me how I know... :wink: Black powder (he calls Pyrodex "black powder" in the video - it ain't the same!) is fairly easy to clean out with hot water. Every easy priming compound I've seen is corrosive and so there's not much real advantage to using smokeless since you've got to clean it up well after using reloads.

One advantage he's got in his kit over what we used to do is the cast bullet. We'd just press a 3T shot over a case full of powder and call it good. Having a real bullet instead, hopefully one that fits the bore, would be a real advantage for distance and accuracy. Don't forget to lube those bullets prior to shooting - especially if you're using black powder.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was wondering about lube Paul. I didn't see anything about that either. Maybe in the later videos?

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That might be a good thing to have on hand in case of "emergency", but I'd have to be pretty hard up to go through all that to load a 22LR. And that would be after my stock on hand was long gone.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:That might be a good thing to have on hand in case of "emergency", but I'd have to be pretty hard up to go through all that to load a 22LR. And that would be after my stock on hand was long gone.
I suspect I'll have enough of something for as long as I'll need it. A shorty 20 gauge flintlock might be handy, though.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I believe I will just stick with fancy store bought 22 shells. I've been setting aside a brick here and there and now have a lifetime supply. My average cost over 30 years works out to be 1.8 cents per.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:That might be a good thing to have on hand in case of "emergency", but I'd have to be pretty hard up to go through all that to load a 22LR. And that would be after my stock on hand was long gone.
I suspect I'll have enough of something for as long as I'll need it. A shorty 20 gauge flintlock might be handy, though.
Thats one of the most sensible things I have heard in ages :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nath wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
:shock: :shock: Careful, you could get a bad reputation by agreeing with me.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

maybe a good air rifle or pistol would be in order
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I broke down and bought a PCP 22 air rifle.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What is the cost, and can you use smokless powder?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:What is the cost, and can you use smokless powder?
Looks like 75 bucks, and Pyrodex only..... Also looks like a PITA.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BlaineG wrote:
Nath wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
:shock: :shock: Careful, you could get a bad reputation by agreeing with me.... :lol:
Our reputations go before us yes.
Alas, I am no ones judge. :)
Marvin S wrote:I broke down and bought a PCP 22 air rifle.
I just sold one and got a springer, could not live with all that pumping!
Besides, the air is all around me!

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you watch the videos they claim there are instructions on how to use smokeless powder in the instruction book.

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

you could use about any powder you wanted to experiment with. The problem is, any readily available priming compound is likely to be corrosive. So you're going to have to do a thorough cleaning no matter what propellant you choose. They do claim to to include smokeless powder info as well.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I thought that was the point of a PCP (pre charged pneumatic) , that it's charged off a scuba tank, to something like 3000psi. You shoot till it needs charging again, not a pump rifle. The advantages of the PCP is it's available in larger calibers, all the way to some I have seen in .40cal. A .25 seems the most common, but a .22 would suffice.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

handirifle wrote:

I thought that was the point of a PCP (pre charged pneumatic) , that it's charged off a scuba tank, to something like 3000psi. You shoot till it needs charging again, not a pump rifle. The advantages of the PCP is it's available in larger calibers, all the way to some I have seen in .40cal. A .25 seems the most common, but a .22 would suffice.
Yes, many ways to charge the PCP gun. Buddy tanks, SCBA tanks, hand pumps, shoe box compressors, High pressure nitrogen bottles are some of them. The initial investment can be high but after shooting PCP rifles I sold my RWS springer.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
I was thinking that maybe it would reload 22 magnum cases. that would be a little better return on time.

'course, now that 556 is THE 22, maybe we just need some squib loads that will recycle an ar and call it good enough. or a 556 handirifle. lots of ways to launch tiny bullets. any squib loads that cycle ar?

Grizz
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
I was thinking that maybe it would reload 22 magnum cases. that would be a little better return on time.

'course, now that 556 is THE 22, maybe we just need some squib loads that will recycle an ar and call it good enough. or a 556 handirifle. lots of ways to launch tiny bullets. any squib loads that cycle ar?

Grizz
NAA makes a dandy cap and ball .22 revolver called 1860 EARL 4" BARREL CAP&BALL....Looks like extra cyls are 40 bucks....There's a LongRifle cap and ball, and a Magnum cap and ball.... Their boolits are expensive, so you'd have to get and size your own....

I have a Ruger Old Army C&B that hasn't been shot yet. I should probably lay in a supply of extra nipples, and caps....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You have to love the free market. Where there is a need (demand), someone will come up with a way to serve it. Others will build a better mousetrap to the first. :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Grizz
NAA makes a dandy cap and ball .22 revolver called 1860 EARL 4" BARREL CAP&BALL....Looks like extra cyls are 40 bucks....There's a LongRifle cap and ball, and a Magnum cap and ball.... Their boolits are expensive, so you'd have to get and size your own....

I have a Ruger Old Army C&B that hasn't been shot yet. I should probably lay in a supply of extra nipples, and caps....
I've never shot a percussion revolver. You need to find a spot where you can fire off all the guns you haven't shot yet. I'd like to see them.

How did the mc ride to the bbq go? Didn't see any taster reports.

Grizz
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz.....

Not a MC ride..... I expect to be going to Ohio more often to see Mom in assisted living, and I :( traded :( the Jeep for a Civic....20 versus 38 mpg....Enough difference to cover the motel bills....Not a vaca so I'm not taking the Van/RV......
One of these days, I'm going to decide what I want to keep and what gets sent down the road.....I'm hoping the gol blasted ding-dang I-594 gets tossed before I lose 40 or 50 bucks on each sale for a NICS check :evil: :evil: :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll bet a 'cat-sneeze' load might cycle an AR if the bolt lugs were removed...i.e.you swapped in a different carrier group with no locking lugs and not relying on 'gas' to run it. A lightweight carrier with only the buffer/spring for instance...?

If you kept it simple; only replacing the bolt/carrier unit, it would be a fast conversion. The BIG deal would be making a way you'd NEVER fire a full-house 223 load in it without the real carrier.... :?

Perhaps a 'floating chamber' like the AR 22LR adapters...? Make it for 22 Hornet or K-Hornet and reusable cases...????? 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:Grizz.....

Not a MC ride..... I expect to be going to Ohio more often to see Mom in assisted living, and I :( traded :( the Jeep for a Civic....20 versus 38 mpg....Enough difference to cover the motel bills....Not a vaca so I'm not taking the Van/RV......
One of these days, I'm going to decide what I want to keep and what gets sent down the road.....I'm hoping the gol blasted ding-dang I-594 gets tossed before I lose 40 or 50 bucks on each sale for a NICS check :evil: :evil: :evil:
OK thanks for the update.

JUST XFR THE GUNS WHEN YOU ARE OUT OF STATE !

they have no jurisdiction past the state borders. we can do it in Alaska, and Texas, ftf. and a pox on wa-state unconstitutionalism. "here ya go son, it's your gun now." "here ya go granddaughter", etc. all outside the jurisdiction of the tyrant class. naner naner naner :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote:I'll bet a 'cat-sneeze' load might cycle an AR if the bolt lugs were removed...i.e.you swapped in a different carrier group with no locking lugs and not relying on 'gas' to run it. A lightweight carrier with only the buffer/spring for instance...?

If you kept it simple; only replacing the bolt/carrier unit, it would be a fast conversion. The BIG deal would be making a way you'd NEVER fire a full-house 223 load in it without the real carrier.... :?

Perhaps a 'floating chamber' like the AR 22LR adapters...? Make it for 22 Hornet or K-Hornet and reusable cases...????? 8)
Interesting idea. But would you really want to rely on the spring to lock the breech? and, if you had that much spring, could you cycle it all the way?

I was thinking you would alter the buffer and spring weights.

Or maybe even use the charging handle to cycle, essentially a sequential single shot.
Or maybe this is the place for a piston gun with variable gas?

Hoping someone has this all set up and running. Wouldn't even need earplugs. should have all the accuracy and potential of 22mag or better, eh?

Grizz