Time to start loading for the Marlin 336ER, 356 Win....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Time to start loading for the Marlin 336ER, 356 Win....

Post by Dan 444 »

Hi all,

I've been deer hunting whitetails here in the Northern Adirondack Mountains for the past 50 years. Have taken a lot of deer during that time; however, have not taken the 336ER (356 Winchester) hunting. There's no particular reason that I haven't taken the ER, just had others that were convenient (load development done) to take (30-30, 32WS, 35Rem, 375, 45-70) including my favorite, Marlin 444.

In any case, I came across a NIB 336ER on Gunbroker about 10 years ago and snatched it up. It's still NIB and I now want to start load development. Usage will probably be 90% target and 10% deer/bear hunting. Been doing some reading on some of the other forums. Looks like I'll probably end up with two loads. Maybe a 180g or Ranch Dog 190g cast for target and 220g cast or jacketed for hunting.

I'm exploring the options and just wanted to get y'all's thoughts.....

Thanks,
Dan
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Time to start loading for the Marlin 336ER, 356 Win....

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW , when I had my overload of Marlin's I had a pair of 336ER's . One was setup for jacketed bullets and the other for home cast .

I killed a deer with the jacketed bullet gun using factory ammo from the same time period as the rifle . And with the other rifle I used the RD 359-180GC pushed with XMP5744 . The 359-180 was RD's first stab at a 35 cal bullet and while it worked very well in the 356 WIN for some reason it never shot so hot in the 35 REM . Anyway the 180 grain rendition knocked the fire out of the deer I shot with it . Can't say I expended a lot of time loading jacketed bullets for the cartridge but I did fool with the Speer 180 and 220 grain FN bullets a bit with better then average results .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 180 gr speer FN with H4198 work well in the 356. I did some loads with the 200 RN but never hunted with them. The first few deer I shot were with factory Winchester 200 gr FP. I think those worked the best on knocking deer down, but that could of been shot placement. Never did do cast bullets in the 356 . I even have the RD mould, just never got around to it. I seemed to have gotten better kills with the 356 than I did with the 444. I am not biased , I like all leverguns ! :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

220gr Speer HCFN over 47.2gr of Win 748

1" at 100yds from my 336ER

Same trajectory as the Win factory 200gr, but with the energy of the factory 250gr.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I haven't tried a lot of different loads in mine, it's apparently pretty easy to please. I shoot the Speer 180 at a tad over 2600 fps, and the Speer 220 at something around 2400 fps if memory serves. H4198 is also my best powder for the lighter bullet, but I can't recall what my load was with the 220 without digging out my notes. Both of those loads will shoot under 1.5". I also have the Ranch Dog mold, but have not played with it a whole lot yet.
NRA Life Member
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

My Winchester 356 in a 94 is just about the best overall rifle I have, and I have many. Have killed black bear with it
and I suspect it will take just about anything North America has to offer. I load mine with Speer 220 gr. Hot-cor, and I have used several powders with great success. It isn't picky about loads. I killed a black bear at 150 yrds, one shot down and out.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

daisygordoninc wrote:My Winchester 356 in a 94 is just about the best overall rifle I have, and I have many. Have killed black bear with it
and I suspect it will take just about anything North America has to offer. I load mine with Speer 220 gr. Hot-cor, and I have used several powders with great success. It isn't picky about loads. I killed a black bear at 150 yrds, one shot down and out.
8)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Idiot gun writers killed the .356 when it first came out, comparing it to be "slightly more powerful than the 35 Rem". What it truly is, is the equivalent of the great .348WCF, when both are shot out of 20" barrels, Enough for all North American Game, but, in a lightweight, fast handling model 94!. Writers of the day were consumed with the latest super magnum and the moonscope that could be mounting on it to shoot elk at 700 yards. True hunters appreciate the cartridge and gun for what it is. A 250 yard featherweight capable for downing all North American game.