Almost a disaster! (pictures added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Almost a disaster! (pictures added)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

After a couple solid months of business travel (22 nights in hotels, four trade shows, and a bunch of other stuff), I finally got a week in the home office to catch up somewhat. I'm also trying to recover from a nasty sinus infection and bronchitis (I've really, really REALLY had my fill of "global warming" this winter), so the week at home did me good on multiple fronts.

Friday for lunch I didn't have time to run out to the range, but was itching to do a little shooting, so decided to take advantage of the target box in my basement. Most of the folks in my neighborhood work during the day, and few have a home office that I am aware of. There are some stay-at-home Mom's, and some retirees, but my immediate neighbors work, so I figure I can shoot .22's - quiet ones - without ending up with a visit from the boys in blue.

I picked up a Mossberg Model 43 a couple years ago off GunBroker. This is part of my attempt to have a .22 in every major action type (this one filling the "tube-fed bolt action" niche). I grabbed a box of Aguila "Super Colibri's", set up the target, and took my first shot.

No worries on sound being heard outside, but even this one sounded light. I put the gun on safe, and checked the box across the basement. No hole in the target or cardboard surrounding it. Huh-oh. :shock:

Went back, emptied the gun, then took out a .22 cleaning rod. Sure enough, the bullet never exited the barrel.

That could have been a disaster! I doubt the Super Colibri, only powered by a Eley primer, would have had enough power to damage the gun or hurt me - but I'm glad I didn't find out!

So, I switched to CCI's ".22 Quiet". Very pleased. These are not as quiet as the Colibri rounds (nothing is, including my pellet guns), but plenty quiet to use comfortably indoors without hearing protection (I wanted to gage how loud they were) and I doubt the noise carried beyond my house very far. These are also very accurate, and work great in suppressed .22's.

Better, they are also strong enough to cycle a semi-automatic action (I tried them with an antique Remington 550 I have). Worked perfectly. The Super Colibri will not cycle in a semi-automatic.

So, a fun little lunch-time range session at home - and disaster averted!

I do have pictures, but photobucket is not cooperating this morning! :x I'll add them when it does! :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Almost a disaster!

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I tried both the Colibri's and Super Colibre's. was not impressed with them in the least. But thought The Super's were meant for rifles, and they had more propellant for the longer barrel. I know the regular Colibre package said for pistols only. CB shorts or C'Bees are the only ones I will use anymore. The 550 is a great rifle, I had one that was a hoot to shoot with shorts. But was young married and broke and the kid needed diapers, so it went down the road.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid,
Go get some JB bore paste and polish up the bore of that rifle. A couple hundred swipes back and forth and that bore will shine...and offer less resistance. I hear even toothpaste works OK.-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I hear even toothpaste works OK
With a little Arm & Hammer powder to help out. 8) A great polish :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Super Colibri also are not necessarily 'ok' for suppressors, because they are long and with most rifling pitches, tend to yaw at the slow velocities attained. You don't really need a suppressor with them, but anyhow, both the 22 caliber suppressors I have (Trek, and Operative) say not to use them in the instructions.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My Marlin M39 with it's long barrel is the quietest thing I have when I use standard velocity shorts in it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good thing you caught it! Might not have been disastrous... but stackin' up lead in the bore under pressure isn't the proper way to slug your bore!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

There must be a real story behind that revolver Griff. Details?? (don't want to hijack though.)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:Good thing you caught it! Might not have been disastrous... but stackin' up lead in the bore under pressure isn't the proper way to slug your bore!
OMG! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay, I got photobucket to upload some pictures. Again, I am no KirkD!

The first picture is the bullet after I pushed it out of the barrel with a cleaning rod. No effort at all needed, thought it did feel gritty. I think I will take Sixgun's advice and give it a really good cleaning.

This is the round with the box it came from. I put a sticker on all ammunition boxes noting the month and year of purchase, then try to use the oldest first. These were not that old!

Here's a close-up of the bullet and case - a bit fuzzy - sorry!

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Correction to my original post. This is actually a "Western Field Model 14M 491A", which is the store-brand of the Mossberg 46B, not 43. I must be getting senile!

Anyway, as I stated, it is a tublar-magazine bolt action that shoots .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle. I purchased it off GunBroker, and given it's age, it was C&R eligible! :D I added the scope mount and put a BSA "Sweet 22" on top of it. In addition to OCD (see other post) and senility (see above), my eyesight is going! :o

Well, here she is:

Here's a picture of the action, along with the box of CCI "22 Quiet" that I used after the failed attempt with the Aguila Super Solibri's.

I really like this ammo. As Doc noted, I don't use the Aguila's with a suppressor (and no need to). If you use the CCI 22 Quiet's, the darn thing just about whispers! 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The Remington 550-1 is another of my "every action type of .22's". I wanted a tublar-magazine semi-automatic. Could have gone with the ubiquitous Marlin Model 60. However, I discussed this one in the corner at a gun store, and it just called out to me (especially for $75!). It shoots .22 Shorts, Longs and Long Rifle's as well. :D

Here's a close-up of gun. I did end up having a little repair work done to get it operational ($50), then purchased a new ejection port cover from Numrich Gun Parts. Other than that, she was ready to go. She worked perfectly with the CCI's! :D

So, thirty-one shots later (1 Colibri, 25 CCI's in the Western Field/Mossberg, and 5 in the Remington), I sighted in the scope, enjoyed my lunch, and was back to work! :D

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Almost a disaster! (pictures added)

Post by Old Ironsights »

When using Super Colibri in a rifle....

Always (always always) check the bore between shots.

I haven't had many stick, but I have had a few. Drop a rod down the muzzle and all will be told.

The "quieter than a pellet gun" benefit of the Super Colibri's outweighs the "gotta check the bore each time" hassle...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Good catch and awareness. A good example to all of us.

Those 22 Quiets are on my must try list now for sure.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sure glad I read this post. I have an antique .22 rifle and didn't even know it. My dad bought a brand new Remington 550-1 for me in the spring of 1953. It has a Weaver 4x scope on it the only rifle I have with a scope, the only .22 rifle I own.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Your 550 was able to cycle the light loads because of the Carbine Williams designed, floating chamber.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Correction to my original post. This is actually a "Western Field Model 14M 491A", which is the store-brand of the Mossberg 46B, not 43. I must be getting senile!

Anyway, as I stated, it is a tublar-magazine bolt action that shoots .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle. I purchased it off GunBroker, and given it's age, it was C&R eligible! :D I added the scope mount and put a BSA "Sweet 22" on top of it. In addition to OCD (see other post) and senility (see above), my eyesight is going! :o

Well, here she is:

Here's a picture of the action, along with the box of CCI "22 Quiet" that I used after the failed attempt with the Aguila Super Solibri's.

I really like this ammo. As Doc noted, I don't use the Aguila's with a suppressor (and no need to). If you use the CCI 22 Quiet's, the darn thing just about whispers! 8)

That looks just like my Wards Western Field 48a ! Must be a cousin. I'm looking for (and haven't found) a cross reference chart. I'm fairly sure this rifle (48A) was a store brand Mossberg.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Nice old Remington 550. YK, make sure and keep the nut, receiver plug, on the end of the receiver tight or strange and wonderful things can happen. Ask me how I know....first full auto I ever shot. :D

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Good thing you caught it! Might not have been disastrous... but stackin' up lead in the bore under pressure isn't the proper way to slug your bore!
Dear Lord, whoever it was reloaded and kept going! :o

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid,
Yes, I will agree.......those CCI Quiets are nice. Last year good ole Jack Kort gave me a box to try out and in my limited experimentation, they were as accurate as standard velocity loads out to my gongs out back here...142 yards.

I never did price them......what do they go for?-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I've got one of those Rem 550's that I've owned for over 60 years. It was my second-ever .22 and I killed a heap of jackrabbits with it in the Mohave desert long ago. I probably haven't shot it in over 40 years, though I still keep it cleaned and oiled.

I sure had a blast with that gun--back when long rifle ammo went for about $0.70/box. Though it took about 35 coke bottles returned for the deposit to make $0.70 ---or mowing someone's lawn.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

765x53 wrote:Your 550 was able to cycle the light loads because of the Carbine Williams designed, floating chamber.
OK - dumb question - what's a "floating chamber"...????
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The floating chamber recoils separately from the barrel.
It is driven back by gas pressure in addition to normal blow-back.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Same thing happened to me friend. With Russian shorts in a Remington 527.
I was shooting it from the hip fast and did shoot another round into the back of it!
It ringed the barrel a little!
Funny thing is, the 527 shot better after!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

765x53 wrote:The floating chamber recoils separately from the barrel.
I thought I'd heard of everything...!

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bullard4075 wrote:That looks just like my Wards Western Field 48a ! Must be a cousin. I'm looking for (and haven't found) a cross reference chart. I'm fairly sure this rifle (48A) was a store brand Mossberg.
It is a store-brand Mossberg. Here's a cross-reference list:

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/ ... rence.html

Frustratingly, it does not show my model!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

firefuzz wrote:Nice old Remington 550. YK, make sure and keep the nut, receiver plug, on the end of the receiver tight or strange and wonderful things can happen. Ask me how I know....first full auto I ever shot. :D

Rob
Hmmm... that sounds like it could have been interesting! :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
765x53 wrote:The floating chamber recoils separately from the barrel.
I thought I'd heard of everything...!
That is what enables it to fire Short's, Long's and Long Rifle's in a semi-auto. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nath wrote:Same thing happened to me friend. With Russian shorts in a Remington 527.
I was shooting it from the hip fast and did shoot another round into the back of it!
It ringed the barrel a little!
Funny thing is, the 527 shot better after!

N.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Glad you weren't heard my friend!

Nice that it made it shoot better. I don't think I'll try though!!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:Kid,
Yes, I will agree.......those CCI Quiets are nice. Last year good ole Jack Kort gave me a box to try out and in my limited experimentation, they were as accurate as standard velocity loads out to my gongs out back here...142 yards.

I purchased two bricks of them from MidwayUSA a couple months ago for $29.99 each. :D :D :D
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Geez, I shoot a ton of Super Colibris and never had a single squib... knock on wood! Could be because I run a bore snake through the barrel before I put it away. Usually, I shoot them outa my 39 Century Ltd, which is sighted in using Super Colibris. I've gotten so used to the nearly silent operation, a Quiet 22 seems like a loud Crack! (but they remain my second favorite) so I have to be more careful when the neighbors might hear.

OTOH, I've been frustrated with squirrels being hit, falling outa the tree, then running away! Only head shots and the rare heart/lung shots through the armpit kill them DRT. Might switch to a full mag tube of Quiet 22 and see if it makes a difference.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Kid,

I purchased two bricks of them from MidwayUSA a couple months ago for $29.99 each. :D :D :D
Correction - looked it up, and they were on sale for $26.99 each! :D :D :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

MacEntyre wrote:Geez, I shoot a ton of Super Colibris and never had a single squib... knock on wood! Could be because I run a bore snake through the barrel before I put it away. Usually, I shoot them outa my 39 Century Ltd, which is sighted in using Super Colibris. I've gotten so used to the nearly silent operation, a Quiet 22 seems like a loud Crack! (but they remain my second favorite) so I have to be more careful when the neighbors might hear.

OTOH, I've been frustrated with squirrels being hit, falling outa the tree, then running away! Only head shots and the rare heart/lung shots through the armpit kill them DRT. Might switch to a full mag tube of Quiet 22 and see if it makes a difference.
I am going to take one of my .22's and set it up for Super Colibris. Will keep the bore squeaky clean. I've found that the shot to shot consistency has a little to be desired. Have you found these consistent?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:...I've found that the shot to shot consistency has a little to be desired. Have you found these consistent?
Every bit as consistent as my Crosman 1377 pellet pistol... only with longer range out of the same length barrel...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Super Colibris... Have you found these consistent?
Yes. I've been able to aim for the head on sitting squirrels and drop them dead on the ground up to 50 feet away. I can make longer hits, up to 100 feet or more, with a couple of inches of holdover, but they run away. But close range, the Super Colibris are consistent. You'll find out how consistent they are when you sight in your rifle. I zeroed mine at 50 feet.

This may seem like a short distance, but I am going for kills, not hits.

When I get one that seems underpowered, making a sound kinda like Pffft!, it's time to get the bore snake.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

MacEntyre wrote:When I get one that seems underpowered, making a sound kinda like Pffft!, it's time to get the bore snake.
Indeed!

Thanks for the feedback guys!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Glad you found out about the stuck round.
One thing everyone needs to remember if doing some shootin' in confined spaces is to have adequate ventilation so you don't breath in all the smoke/fumes.
Last edited by GonnePhishin on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Indeed!
Just a few minutes ago, I went downstairs and could see a raccoon nosing around the glass back door. Grabbed my 39 Century Ltd fulla Super Colibris, snuck around through the other door and shot him from 30 feet away... he ran along the fence, up and over, taking three more shots to the body, then finally he fell over and lay there, when I shot him running about 40 feet away, through the welded wire fence. Two more behind the ear finished him off so I could safely carry him by the tail and toss him down the ravine out back.

It's amazing what a you can do without any gun powder at all!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A .358 158gr pure dead soft lead HP bullet over 3gr of BP/Titegroup with Cream of Wheat filler will make less noise than a Super Colibri... and hit with over 100fpe. Don't use a solid or you will simply icepick the critter and you will have to recover his pathetic crawling carcass...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Old Ironsights wrote:A .358 158gr pure dead soft lead HP bullet over 3gr of BP/Titegroup with Cream of Wheat filler will ...hit with over 100fpe.
I'll have to try that in my 35 Rem Stevens... thanks!
Old Ironsights wrote:[and] ...make less noise than a Super Colibri...
not possible to make less than no noise at all!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MacEntyre wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:A .358 158gr pure dead soft lead HP bullet over 3gr of BP/Titegroup with Cream of Wheat filler will ... hit with over 100fpe.
I'll have to try that in my 35 Rem Stevens... thanks!
Old Ironsights wrote:[and] ...make less noise than a Super Colibri...
not possible to make less than no noise at all!
Try it. from my .357 Rossi and from a 10/22 they were almost the same. The "Pufft" was a touch deeper (and therefore "quieter") that the "Pifft" from the 10/22... and hit a LOT harder...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Old Ironsights wrote: ...they were almost the same.
So which is it?

"almost the same" or "makes less noise than"... just sayin'

I'm gonna give your load a try in my Stevens. :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MacEntyre wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote: ...they were almost the same.
So which is it?

"almost the same" or "makes less noise than"... just sayin'

I'm gonna give your load a try in my Stevens. :)
Almost the same as in, to my artillery ears, same quiet, different frequency...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

sorry... I didn't mean to get all nit-picky on ya!

I love cat sneeze loads!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Well, here she is:

speaking of 46B s , many years ago i customized one for my son to use in boy scouts.
chopmossie.JPG
very accurate and now almost too small to use? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I have been shooting those Super Colibris from my Savage bolt .22 for quite a few years with no problems, I did not realize it was even a possibility. Now I'm nervous. :(
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:I have been shooting those Super Colibris from my Savage bolt .22 for quite a few years with no problems, I did not realize it was even a possibility. Now I'm nervous. :(
I'ts a possibility, just a slim one.

If you don't rod between shots, at the very least rod before loading non-colibris.

From my 10/22 it seemed to be about 1/50 that wouldn't make the crown...

Out of my Contender (or any other pistol) it's a non-issue.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a couple stick in my new Savage. Need to break it in a bit.
I've fired several hundred through a converted Martini w/ a 28" barrel without a hitch.
Those and CCI CB shorts are all I can shoot in the back yard.

Nice couple of .22s!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I just assumed they wouldn't cycle in the 10/22 so it was never even an option.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:I just assumed they wouldn't cycle in the 10/22 so it was never even an option.
They don't... but my right index finger works just fine so I used them anyway. :mrgreen:

Oh... and out of the Ruger 96/22 they are the bees knees... though you have to have a plug in the #10 space in the magazine. It will only feed 9 of the 10...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!