41 Magnum Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

41 Magnum Trapper

Post by MacEntyre »

Here it is! Rick Evans, gunsmith in Winston-Salem, did it all for me. He's done a few 41 magnum conversions, so I asked him to make mine. When I purchased the 1991 Marlin 94 in 44 magnum, I took it directly to Rick. Today, he called for me to pick up the finished product.

Rick replaced the barrel, installed the front sight, shortened the magazine tube, stamped ".41" on the barrel and tweaked the extraction and ejection. I replaced the safety with a Beartooth Mercantile Saddle Ring Safety Delete. The magazine holds 8 rounds. The rifle cost $600, and the work was $450. That's significantly less than purchasing a Marlin 41 carbine, if you can find one!

A friend suggested making it a Trapper, and I am glad he did. It feels great. I can't wait to take this little rifle into the woods, in search of Bambi next fall!

Tomorrow, I may be able to shoot it.

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: 41 Magnum Trapper

Post by GoatGuy »

Congratulations. A nice one for sure!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool....it even has the tapped holes for a nice Williams FP sight... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Very handsome!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That is VERY cool. Been considering a Model 94 in 10mm in my future on a "skeletonized" frame. Would be decently powerful, easy to carry and shoot, and hold a lot of ammo! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Thanks, guys!

Yes it is snake bit... but I'm gonna put a Skinner sight on top.

Tutt, I decided to shoot 10mm in semi-auto pistols and carbines, and 41 magnum in revolvers and leverguns.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Makes sense to me! Wise man! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thats nice
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Dang that's a heck of a good idea!!! Great job!

ollogger
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Looks great. Nice job
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Nice rifle, MacEntyre, a good idea comes to fruition! Whose barrel did you use? I have a Shielin .429 groove to groove in a 20" twist squirreled away for just such a project in a 44 mag.. Would be nice to be able to shoot the heavy/long for caliber bullets..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Les Staley wrote:Nice rifle, MacEntyre, a good idea comes to fruition! Whose barrel did you use?
Thank you very much!

I believe Rick got the barrel from a company called Douglas.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

That is sweet,nice idea and looks sexie to me... :D
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It'll probably thump ya a little more than the one I did. What barrel length? I did my C45S trapper at 17"... But, since this 45ACP look-almost-alike cartridge doesn't have quite the horsepower the .41Mag does, I went with a crescent buttplate! Mine'll be going off the get the "lip-stick" treatment when I have at least two of my Winchester 94 projects ready... still waitin' on the lumber! Goin' on 5 years! But... as soon as the weather clears up there in the NE, the supplier sez he'll be getttin' my wood to me!

Range Report due!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's a nice looking levergun...my best friend has 4 S&W Model 57's in .41mag and two Marlin 1894's in .41mag. He bought both of those .41 leverguns used in the same year for about 250.00, that of course was back in the 80's...that's the only cartridge he hunts with. I wish that I smart enough to follow him...oh well... :)
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Griff wrote:What barrel length?
That reminds me, I need to measure it to find out exactly what he made it... supposed to be 16 1/2".

Since it only holds 8 rounds, I'm wondering if it has too much mag spring... might play with that to find out. I used to have a Rossi 92 trapper in Ruger 480, and it held 9 rounds.

Range report soon!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Sweet! :mrgreen: It's interesting that your using a 44 mag bolt for the conversion. I know we're spliting hairs here but I would think there maybe some extraction or loading problems based on rim diameter between the 44 mag and 41 Mag. Keep us posted, I'm really interested in the range report. For years I've always wanted to build a 356 GNR Marlin trapper but now it maybe possible. :)

Mainehunter :wink:
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Mainehunter wrote: ...would think there maybe some extraction or loading problems based on rim diameter between the 44 mag and 41 Mag.
Rim diameter 0.514" for 44 vs 0.492" for 41... I don't know what exactly was necessary to tweak extraction, but it required no replacement parts.
Mainehunter wrote:I'm really interested in the range report.
Today it fed, shot, extracted and ejected without fail. There is no rear sight yet (Skinner is in the mail) so I can't tell you how well it shot. It sure tames the hot loads, just like it did when it was a 44!