AR field notes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

AR field notes

Post by Grizz »

We took the cheapo-parts home-assembled 5.56 carbine out to dial in the cheapo Bushnell AR/223 1-4X scope on the cheapo Armourtac extension mount.

I hung a gong at around 20 yds and walked another up the hill, we 'think' something over 50yds. I strapped that one to a stump so we didn't have to re-align it. shooting 223 I dialed in some elevation and a little windage, then turned to the farther gong. shooting offhand I was hitting it, I thought, although it didn't ring, it just went plunk, plunk, plunk, sounding like it was hitting pallet below.

I turned a chair back into a field expedient bench rest, without the bench part, did the breath and pulse thing as if I was actually target shooting, and plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk. Arrrrrgh. "I'm walking up there to see what is going on". There are 4 or 5 nato divots near the center of the plate. For reference the flat one at one O'clock is from a 525gr PileDriver, which knocks 'em silly when they are free to swing. I guess the parts gun can shoot, even if it was assembled by a shade tree wrench bender.
20152919.JPG
The other guy got busy with my Ruger 22 Automatic Pistol and a bottle of heinze57 ammo. He tinked the close gong two handed for a while and out of boredom switched to one hand. When he got bored with that he two-handed the farther gong and got a satisfying tink, tink, tink. He switched back to one hand and got the same tinking, so he drew a bead on the can of pop. It exploded in a shower of sticky whatever was in it, jumped off the stump and fell dead to the ground. One shot. One kill. Keep him in the hide or send him on point, eh?
20152917.JPG
I like the carbine a lot. I like the slick side. I like the front grip. I like the gas-forward-director-doohickey. And I like the touching family portrait in the center of the gong.

Grizz out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: AR field notes

Post by Malamute »

When shooting the old 300 yard plate (some sort of very large, 18" differential cover) and the new non armor grade steel plate, 556/223 makes a loud WHOP sound. Pistol rounds make it ring. The 600 yard plate makes a ring sound with rifles and pistols.

...and congrats on the gun running well and shooting good!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks. it's my rifle now.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Nice rifle. Now if you can just get some ammo for it. :roll:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Looks like it's working good Grizz. Time to do some mag dump/changes and wring it out. Is that the scope/mount combo someone posted in another thread? I was interested in that for a interim setup.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sore shoulder wrote:Looks like it's working good Grizz. Time to do some mag dump/changes and wring it out. Is that the scope/mount combo someone posted in another thread? I was interested in that for a interim setup.
I think it's the same scope. It was recommended here. Took a long time to find a serviceable cheap scope mount. I figure I saved about 200$ by eschewing the brand names.

http://www.amazon.com/CCOP-MNT-1516-Pro ... ccop+mount

the only thing wrong with the mount that I can detect is that it is inexpensive. have not tried to remove the scope and fasten it back on the gun, so it isn't proven that for a cash saving of approx 200$ the mount will return to zero. :lol:

yeah, I know, there are some 80$ versions with brand names. I looked at them and pocketed the difference.

Grizz
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

There was a scope/mount combo posted in your thread awhile back that had the scope and mount together in one "affordable" (cheap :lol: ) package, but I can't recall who made it. The poster said it was working well, wish I had bookmarked it. *facepalm*
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sore shoulder wrote:There was a scope/mount combo posted in your thread awhile back that had the scope and mount together in one "affordable" (cheap :lol: ) package, but I can't recall who made it. The poster said it was working well, wish I had bookmarked it. *facepalm*
Link in photo... $79.99 @ Academy Sports.
Last edited by Griff on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

P.S.

I saved another $200 on these aluminum off-brand sights:

http://www.amazon.com/TACTICAL-EXCLUSIV ... ition+BUIS

the front looks like a regular AR post, and the rear has a flipper for two sizes and full two direction adjustments.

I figured I saved so much money buying off-brand cheapo accessories that I can now buy another cheapo rifle kit.

Grizz :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote:P.S.

I saved another $200 on these aluminum off-brand sights:

http://www.amazon.com/TACTICAL-EXCLUSIV ... ition+BUIS

the front looks like a regular AR post, and the rear has a flipper for two sizes and full two direction adjustments.

I figured I saved so much money buying off-brand cheapo accessories that I can now buy another cheapo rifle kit.

Grizz :lol:
I haven't been shopping or a set... but dern it!!! NOW you've done it! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That gong looks familiar.....Might I have put a couple of dents in that one? :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:That gong looks familiar.....Might I have put a couple of dents in that one? :lol:
You Betcha.

remember when the .357 made a loud noise and you couldn't see the spot inless the paint was fresh?

it's not to the point of your Target Skillet yet :!: q.v.

:lol: Grizz
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

That was the one Grizz, for some reason I think that was Griffs rifle?

Those offset sights are becoming popular after the 3-gun crowd started using them. Someone even made a rifle with them integrated into the upper and foream, can't remember who, LMT or Stag (same thing actually :D )?
11B30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sore shoulder wrote:That was the one Grizz, for some reason I think that was Griffs rifle?
Those offset sights are becoming popular after the 3-gun crowd started using them. Someone even made a rifle with them integrated into the upper and foream, can't remember who, LMT or Stag (same thing actually :D )?
I haven't had the mount off the rifle yet, so I can't say if it holds its zero yet or not. But... I don't intend to take it off, but a pair of those angled irons could find their way onto it! Yea, it's my 3-gun rifle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I haven't shot with the angle sights. Think they are foolish, but I saved 200$, so what's not to like?

The one diss on my rifle is the gas block is not at the height of the receiver top, so special parts required.

I'm looking at using an M4 sight block and clamping it onto the front end of the barrel, like all the other rifle front sights I have. Only I don't know if that would dis-harmonize the thing and start it into a lead dispersion mode.

Any thoughts about getting a sight on the front end of the M4 barrel? I could bore a hole into the gas redirector and stick an M4 sight post in it. A little 100mph tape to even things out and . . .

Grizz
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

It just occurred to me, if a person lapped the scope mount to the specific rails in the mounting location, wouldn't that guarantee a more consistent lockdown?
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Yea Grizz that same plane vs gas block height is a pain.
11B30
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Sore......

No. Speaking as someone who used to sell a ton of exact return to zero mounts and watched every step of their manufacture.....and having had the question asked me before.

If the M1913 rail is correct-to-spec (and quite a few cheaper ones aren't), a quality mount needs absolutely nothing more than to be mounted. It's designed that way. No hand fitting, lapping, turning in a circle five times throwing holy water on the gun while screaming prayers to the accuracy gods, etc or anything else bolt-action accuracy fanatics think is "necessary".