why are marlin lever actions so accurate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

why are marlin lever actions so accurate

Post by carbluesnake »

I was initially surprised at the accuracry of a 336 marlin in 30/30 in 1970. Groups of 1 1/4" at 100 yds. with a 4X scope. I did not think that lever guns could be that accurate back then. Since then, I have never known a marlin not to be surprisingly accurate. So, the question is why. Is it the attention to fitting these guns or microgroove barrels, or something else?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: why are marlin lever actions so accurate

Post by C. Cash »

Something that occurred to me recently, based on my experience with only ONE Marlin, is that they have nice triggers and faster lock time than the Win. 94. The micro groove rifling seems no hindrance either as Pope used the same rifling style in his barrels. So, well made, good triggers, accurate barrels and fast lock time.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good question I have seen enough sub inch and some sub half inch from various calibers to wonder myself.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

The Winchester shooters are takin it easy on you marlin shooters
Pullin off just a little as not to embarrass them marlins

Calm down just kiddin :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

plowboy 45 wrote:The Winchester shooters are takin it easy on you marlin shooters
Pullin off just a little as not to embarrass them marlins

Calm down just kiddin :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why?... that's what I do. 'Sides, anyone that shoots such an ugly gun, needs a lil' confidence booster!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't know if You saw this or not, been a few years. with the Remington 250's mine shoots Great. :) .http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 98#p429598
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

What I personally find curious is that every Marlin I've ever owned (a couple of dozen), NONE of them showed any better accuracy when I went from a receiver peep sight to whatever scope on them.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well, I have an original Winchester rifle made in 1903, a Winchester Carbine named 'Old Savage' made in 1954, and a Marlin 336 Carbine made in 1957, and I would have to say that the Marlin is an unusually good tack driver, at least with jacketed bullets. With cast bullets, my Winchesters do better, however, I'm ordering a mould that will let me size to .311 for the Marlin's micro-groove rifling. I expect its performance with cast bullets sized to .311 will at least equal the two Winchesters. Here is a typical Marlin 336 30-30 target ...
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Marlins can be amazingly accurate. This is my 336 at 200 yards. It shot two, two shot groups that look identical inside an inch. I was stunned. That gun has always been a very good shooter.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Many moons ago, I shot my 336 30wcf in the Ranch Dog Postal Match....I can't find the pic, but it was a .49" @ 50yds iron sights (ghost ring w/green HiViz front).....This was letting the bbl cool between shots. When the bbl gets hot, it strings vertically.

My Marlin 444 shoots about that good if I take care.

The 1894 .44 mag....meh, not so much.

I no longer have the 1895 CB, or the Guide Gun, but they both shot better than I could hold 'em....

I might add that my 1951 Winchester 94 shoots into a inch at 50 yards not trying very hard.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I am very happy with my Guide Gun's accuracy too --- off a bench it thumps me hard enough that i pull it a little bit with some loads , -- but i have seen 1.5" groups -- which i am more than happy with for shooting a huge projectile under a good head of steam :)

OTOH, I had a Marlin 94 44 MAg that would have been better utilized as either a fence post, - or turn it around and use the buttstock as a shovel --- I sold it at a price that reflected how bad it was --
I would've kept it a few more years if i knew that people would be paying 850-1k for them now though :roll:
----- Doug
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

"Why are marlin lever actions so accurate?"

They may well be that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But they make up for it by being butt ugly. :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Alan in Vermont wrote:"Why are marlin lever actions so accurate?"

By gum, if my Marlin in the photo below is ugly, then beautiful has got to be amazing ..

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Because lever action riflemen are such good shots, of course.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

You nailed it Kirk and a guy could hardly call you a Winchester basher. My tired 444S with the slim forearm like yours and short magazine is a pretty rifle, much prettier than any bolt action. It scopes like a charm and snow never drops in the action. To be fair my 94 32 Special is just as pretty and a fine shooter.

KirkD wrote:
Alan in Vermont wrote:"Why are marlin lever actions so accurate?"

By gum, if my Marlin in the photo below is ugly, then beautiful has got to be amazing ..

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've got three Marlins that come to mind as good shooters. Only one, however is Micro Groove. That one is a '72 1895 in 45-70.
The other two are a case colored 1936 in 32WS and an 1889 rifle with a 2/3 magazine in 38-40.

I've had plenty of Winchesters that are as good or better shooters than Marlins. I think where Marlin has the edge is with carbines. I think the front end is less affected by heat and vibration.

Just my idiot opinion though. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD wrote:By gum, if my Marlin in the photo below is ugly, then beautiful has got to be amazing ..

Not only is that gun beautiful (like many other Marlins...and Winchesters), but your photography makes it even better. Too bad the 'heyday' of levergun-catalogs has passed; you could have had a full-time job taking cover-shots for them. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Just curious, whats the going rate on a JM stamped 1895 45-70 blued guide gun?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Panzercat wrote:Just curious, whats the going rate on a JM stamped 1895 45-70 blued guide gun?
Lordy who knows? I see them for $500-575 a lot at guns shows but on Facebook I see crazy asking prices and Gunbroker, too.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

KirkD Really nice looking Marlin :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

vancelw wrote:
Panzercat wrote:Just curious, whats the going rate on a JM stamped 1895 45-70 blued guide gun?
Lordy who knows? I see them for $500-575 a lot at guns shows but on Facebook I see crazy asking prices and Gunbroker, too.

Yes --- the golden rule is to ask $900 in case there is a fool with money that comes ambling along (but then be ready to take $550 or so from it if it doesnt sell in a couple months )

But seriously, i listed mine for 800 bucks on Armslist and had a guy dialled in to take it home for $725 -- in typical Armslist fashion, the prospective buyer never showed up
---- and in the meantime i posted up a "Should i or shouldnt I" thread here , and this group of enablers talked me into keeping it.
$725 would have been top top dollar in my estimation, but as i was wiping it down , i thought about the great days afield it has been with me over the past few years, plus i thought about the easy shooting manners it had -- i like the factory FTX load and in that gun , it gives a nice gentle shove -- the ports on mine do what they are supposed to do and keep the muzzle down for fast repeat shots --- IT has been a great rifle

----- so after i got stood up on the purchase i took the ad down --- I was low on money at the time, but i decided i'd rather eat beans and rice, and explain to the IRS why their payment is late, - than sell that particular rifle

Not as pretty as Kirk's, - and my photog skills are pretty shaky too , but here's a pic of it "naked" and another outfitted for the field (it usually wears a thick leather sling too ) --- The carrying handle is a bit big for the rifle , but it sure shoots good so i havent messed with it

----- Doug
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

carbluesnake wrote: I have never known a marlin not to be surprisingly accurate.
I've known a few. Shoot enough and you'll find some as well.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I sold a stainless JM guide gun on Armslist for the asking price of $850 no questions asked
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Shortened Guide Gun with a 2x scout scope. Never bother to see what it would do with a proper rifle scope. 8)

Slow is just slow.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Because those that own them are very good, accurate rifleman! :mrgreen: But the weird part is, shooting my 1895SS, it would group 1 1/2" at 100 hundred yards, when I put a peep it didnt improve any over the open sights. Same issue at 50 yards.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!