Winchester 1873 B-suffix

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1873 B-suffix

Post by Retro »

Hi all

A friend latched on to an 1873 with serial 511xxxB. He's curious about the B suffix -- does it mean anything specific?

I have a '94 with an M suffix and have been told it's because it's a (44) Magnum.

Thanks
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

The B suffix denotes a third model. Winchester made changes to the design over the years. Third models will have an dust cover rail forged as part of the frame, change in hammer screw etc.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Actually the "A" and "B" are simply a factory work mark. They do not designate any caliber, special part or other variation. The "A" starts to appear around serial # 80,000. After #100,000 the mark almost always appears. Around #170,000 to #190,000 both "A" and "B" may appear. After #200,000 "B" is the most common letter. The fact that suffix "A's" and "B's" appear out of sequence may be due to a factory or field replacement of the lower tang in a gun. This could be due to the replacement of a set trigger assemblt or simply due to damage or wear. Dust cover retaining guides were screwed on to the receiver up to about #80,000 to #90,000, after that the guide was a forged part of the receiver. There were seven distinct dust cover designs.

Madis book. Pages 134-135 and 141.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

“Actually the "A" and "B" are simply a factory work mark. They do not designate any caliber, special part or other variation.â€
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Hi Mike, You are correct about the three different types of dust cover retention. Madis only says that there is no connection between the "A" and "B" suffixes to any caliber or other variation. But it was only a factory work mark. I do see the the serial number similarity between dust cover changes and suffixes. #80,000 for the second style, and #90,000 for the third style. The "B" suffix did not appear before 190,000, long after the third style dust covers were standard.
On the Model 86 I could not find any reference to any suffix letter pertaining to a variation. In fact I found no mention of a suffix letter for the M.86 at all. I did find the reference to the magazine tube being threaded starting around #110,000.
In the Madis book , he actually doesn't show any suffix letters with any of the descriptions of the guns pictured in the book. The same with Pirkle, he makes no mention of a suffix in any part of his work on the '86.
All but one of my '86's have serial numbers below 110,000, so none are threaded, and none have any suffix. My 33WCF (over 110,000) is threaded, but no suffix, but it is a takedown and all '86 takedowns are threaded anyway.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Again the suffix was for engineering changes, there were other changes besides just the dust cover dovetail (Mortise). First model 73 had the tips on the lower tang that slid into the frame; had one piece triggers, no lever safety, and mag tubes with screw in mag plugs etc.

Second models had some other changes as well as the thirds. It was a quick way for Winchester and gunsmiths to ID correct parts, since all parts were not interchangeable between the models.

Dust covers on 2nd and 3rd models are interchangeable; the difference is how the slide on the frame is retained, on seconds it’s retained by a screw, on thirds it’s forged as part of the frame.

Takedown 86’s would not have the A suffix, as the threaded portion of the frame is the same square 8 tpi thread. But a gunsmith looking at his Winchester parts catalogue, would see that model 1886 with an A after its serial number requires a threaded magazine tube. The earliest 1886 with threaded in magazine tube that has been identified so far is 126693A. I once owned the last single line address (SECOND MODEL) 131,447A found thus far.

I have not seen the engineering change suffix on 94s (1st models had different ctg guide screws), do not know of any engineering changes on 92s, think all the parts are interchangeable from 1- end.

I also do not see suffixes on the 1885s, there were all kinds of changes done on those; I swear the 85 was custom built every time Winchester made one. I once had 6 1885s in the shop at one time, no two were alike.

Mike Hunter
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I read way way back that the A and B were actually which assembly line winchester made the rifles on. Up to the 80000 number they were made on the "A" assembly line, after they were mostly made on the "B" assembly line.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958