Got a Big Kid's Red Ryder today... pre-64 Win94 - New Pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Got a Big Kid's Red Ryder today... pre-64 Win94 - New Pics

Post by Stump Buster »

My first ever "Christmas" gun purchase... and I think I did pretty good! Overall, the pics make it look like it's been well cared for. I was convinced enough to bid even with not being able to see it and check it out in person. Anyone see anything I missed that indicates I messed up or the rifle has been refinished? I know the sling attachments probably aren't factory, but could this have left as a flat band during this time period and at one point the flatband was replaced when the sling stud was installed on the rear band? I looked at a LOT of pre-64's and this one seems to be in better shape than most I found at near half the asking price of most listed. I have a couple of newer pre-safety AE's, but wanted a shooter/user from the most desired era in the 94's history.

Whattya think...Good bad or ugly, I can take it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =458990732

Either way, I think "Black Bart" could be in trouble after this get's here. Hopefully I won't shoot my eye out. :lol:

Merry Christmas,

Stump
Last edited by Stump Buster on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Got a Big Kid's Red Ryder today... WWII era Winchester 9

Post by Dave »

That gun looks pretty good
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I wouldn't have passed that rifle up for that price.
NRA Life Member
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Nice! :mrgreen:
Byron
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It looks nice to me.

FWIW, the 1st documented Model 94, produced after WWII, was in the SN 1350000 range - which should put the DOM of your M-94 in late 1945 to early/mid 1946.

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Stump, when you get it check to see if the tang is factory drilled for a Lyman/Marble sight. I have two flatbands from that era, and one has a drilled tang, the other one has no extra holes anywhere..just curious..Nice looking carbine!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Nice Rifle, I thought about bidding on that myself. Those are worth so much these days, you
got it for a real decent price, some go much higher as you know. Every hunter should have at
least one or two of them. My problem is I like them so much I just keep buying them, they are
too beautiful to pass up.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice one! You did GOOD !! :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, ya done good! Those are the type of guns that I have to remind myself that I'm working on another plan now...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Thanks Guys!

I just got off the phone with Brandon from Williams Gunshop and he told me the carbine is in really good shape with just a little grease that needs to be cleaned up before use. I asked him if it was D&T'd for a tang sight and he said it wasn't. He told me he'd try and get me a picture of the muzzle, buttplate and a closer shot of the front swivel stud. I'm feeling better and better about the purchase.

The guys at the gun shop are pretty busy since it's right after the holidays, but they said it still might get shipped out today!!!

THANKS for ALL the info and keep it coming if you see something else worth mentioning.

I'll post more pictures when I get them and after it arrives.

All the Best,

Stump
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got a Big Kid's Red Ryder today... pre-64 Winchester 94

Post by tman »

:mrgreen:
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

You done real good :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

I received 3 extra pictures from the seller today before he shipped it out.

A little bit of rust on the checkered buttplate (easy enough to clean up), but the wood looks better in these than what the photos in the sale ad show, so I'm getting pretty excited.

After some research, I had assumed Winchester was using the serrated buttplate in 1946, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the checkered one screwed on it (I like the looks and feel of that buttplate better). Was there a specific year Winchester changed buttplates or did they just use what they had in available after the war?

Thanks Again for the help and the replies!

Stump
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Got a Big Kid's Red Ryder today... pre-64 Win94 - New Pi

Post by Stump Buster »

Found a reply on another forum by Mr. Hartman that answered the buttplate question. Looks like the buttplate is correct too!!!

"Winchester used the standard Carbine style butt plate through the end of the year 1936 (circa serial number 1127000), then switched to the serrated style (formerly used on the Model 55) at that time. There was a 5-month period from January 1937 to May 1937 when both types were used. The serrated style butt plate was used exclusively from May 1937 through December 1945 (circa serial number 1350000), then was replaced by the flat checkered steel butt plate over a period of about 5-months. The first serial number I have recorded in my survey with a flat checkered steel butt plate is 1350149, and the last serrated steel butt plate is 1366633. Between those two serial numbers is a random mix of the two types of butt plates. Your gun could be correct with either type. The flat checkered steel butt plate was introduced in late 1945 (at circa serial number 1350000), and was used through the collectable era that ended at the end of 1963. For those who are interested, I have a very detailed survey of Model 94s covering the 1924 - 1963 timeframe, including the Polishing Room Serialization Record Book information for that time period."

Stump
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

That's a nice Winchester at a reasonable price. The sling is a bonus in my opinion! :)

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

A guy always enjoys a nice 94 thanks for the show!!

ollogger
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:I wouldn't have passed that rifle up for that price.
Me neither! :mrgreen:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks like you made a great buy! Congratulations. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Stump, looks like that old Winchester is plumb wore out.....better just forward it to me (don't open it or anything). I'll PM you my shipping address.. Thanks.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Just saying what has been said before--that is a really nice pre-64 Win.94 at a very good price...CONGRATS... :)
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

I'm having computer issues, but I just wanted to log in and say "Thank You" for all the replies and information.

Have a Safe and Fun New Year.

We'll be on the range in Lakeport at 8am tomorrow if anyone wants to join in on the annual New Years Day "Shoot Whatcha Brung" Club Shoot. (I'll be shooting my Marlin 336 Cowboy 30-30) :wink:

All are welcome!

More info can be found at = KRGC.org

All the Best,

Stump
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Well I finally got around to taking some pictures of the Winchester today. The only thing I added since it was released from CA gun jail was a lever wrap from Ricochet Roy (I know... not traditional, but I think it matches the non-traditional sling that came already installed with the carbine pretty good. It also makes it easily recognizable as mine when other 94's are on the rack at the range. :wink: )

It shoots pretty good but definitely prefers 170gr Core-Lokt's over 150gr Core-Lokt's.

Here are the pics...

Thanks again for all the info and the help!

Mike
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pics from the auction - it's a BEAUTIFUL '94...!

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

That's a good lookin carbine
Your right about the lever rap it matches very well
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Blue Steel & Walnut .... Very Nice! 8) 8) 8) 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

sure is nice.... :D
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would suggest that you convert those sling swivels to detachable units, via cutting away the loops themselves, tapping out any retaining cross-pin inside the resulting hole, & then running a drill bit through the hole that's the same size as the pin on QD sling loops.

With the conversion, the sling won't get in the way when shooting at a range, or snag on brush while hunting (I carry my sloins in a haversack or coat pocket until needed).

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Very nice, I see the sling as a plus. Sadly not a 32 Special but some folks seem to like the 30-30 too!!! :P
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Beautiful rifle!

Dan
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Thanks Guys. It is in very good shape and there's just enough "History" in the finish and wood that I won't hesitate to take it out and continue to use it.

All the Best,

Stump