Found my next new car!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Found my next new car!

Post by Griff »

Well... new to me! With my son navigating, we missed a turn... so I went a block turned left and there it was... sitting in the driveway, a '55 210 "Handyman" wagon! Just like my very first car! Well, almost, this one's got a 396ci big block & 4-spd. Mine had a .030 over 283 & powerslide! Same primer gray tho'!

I did my best Danny (of Kounts' Kustoms), impersonation and went and knocked on the door! Yes, the owner said it "might" be for sale! We haggled a while and came close to an agreement. My financing will either close or kill the deal. I crawled over, under & thru it, it's mods are done right! Although lowered, it ain't a hack job. dropped spindles in front w/discs... relocated spring hangers in the rear. Front springs are made for a big block and it handles very tight and silky smooth. A new 12-bolt posi in the rear, but with 4.88s, it ain't no freeway flyer! But, I have 4 gear sets @ home for that diff., incl. 3.23s, 3.55s, 4.11s & 5.88s! I'm not sure my 3.08 or 3.73s fi that housing tho'!

All new interior, but sorta cheesy buckets. He has the original front bench & rear seats, along w/the original front sheet metal... currently has a 1-piece tilt front end. Neither the rear wheel wells or tubs have been cut, although the wells are slightly flared to fit the 10x15s back there. But no metal was added or removed, just moved ¾" outward. Still has a "stock" line, unless you're VERY observant and know the correct lines. A solid, "no rust" CA car.

For those that need a picture, here's an example:

An original ad:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Found my next new car!

Post by jnyork »

Wow, a guy could haul two elk out of timber with that: one inside and one on top. :lol:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

JUST IN TIME FOR THE TURKEY ROD CAR SHOW IN DAYTONA..... :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pretty cool rig. :wink:
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

:mrgreen:

Hope financing goes in your favor.

:mrgreen:

busa
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That is one sharp ride!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very cool....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Nothing quite like the tri-five Chevys! Sounds like you found a good one and I hope it pans out for you.

SHASTA

oh yeah... here's a pic of my own '55 wagon I've had since 1969:

California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Now THATS something different. A big block with .488's???? That baby will nail you to the seat. :D

You say the trans is a 4 speed....maybe it's one of those rare m-22's.

Will be interesting to see the results. I have most of the chrome for a 55 Chevy, including the hood bird.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Derailed
Levergunner

Post by Derailed »

I'm in the middle of restoring one of those. Mine is getting a LQ9 6.0 from a 2002 Caddy Escalade and 4L80E.

I just got the engine started.

http://youtu.be/xKGNTkB5_2Y
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Derailed wrote:I'm in the middle of restoring one of those. Mine is getting a LQ9 6.0 from a 2002 Caddy Escalade and 4L80E.

I just got the engine started.

http://youtu.be/xKGNTkB5_2Y
Nice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Derailed
Levergunner

Post by Derailed »

Griff wrote:Nice!

Thanks

I had one also when in high school.
This build is taking longer than I had planned but should turn out good. My money tree is in quarantine, I think it has Ebola :lol:

I hope your offer works out for you.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sweet rides Gents.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Had a '56 4 door sedan in '70. A $65.00 shot rod for basic transportation. 6 cyl engine smoked like a banshee, 3 on the tree linkage would lock up on a regular basis, heater didn't work. I wish I still had it but when it gave up the ghost I had to have something that ran. Nice car, hope the deal goes through.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

How well I remember those '55 Chevy wagons! Great cars, beautiful lines, and a good year for that GM product. My neighbor had a blue and white one just like the one above. Maybe Shasta bought it from my neighbor's son in L.A...?

Congratulations on your find, Griff!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... the loan went thru, no problem... Then the Mrs. reminded me that SHE promised my Mom & cousins that she'd save up for a trip to NZ for s, Mom & the boy. So... I had a choice to make, I could break her promise or buy the car. A no brainer. We'll be visiting NZ... 70 ain't too old for a red stag hunt is it?

Guess I'll have to study up on the rules about firearms, ammo & whether it's best to go under a US or NZ passport, need to check out cowboy action clubs & the timing for their Nat'ls & red stag seasons... The last trip I had to choose between the family reunion or the Nat'ls! The good thing is we'll mainly be staying w/family!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

I went to high school in a suburb of Denver, Colo. In the early 70's. I was able to buy a 62 vette with both tops for $1100. My best friend wanted a 55-57 Chevy we looked for months and found a 55 Chevy 2 door 265 with a powerglide tranny with out the posts for $95. It had the usual rust on top of the head lights a little body damage on one side. But the amazing thing was there were no cigarette burn holes in the headliner. I was able to get a 283 motor for almost free. He had it sent out to be bored out to 292 he put solid lifters a mild cam. He bought a tunnel ram putting a 780 Holley on top. Bought a borg warner tranny low first gear. He at the time didnt have money for the rear gears. He wanted to blow those gears. He never did even tho he would rev it up to 5 grand and dump the clutch.We cut a hole in the hood put a scoop on facing the windshield. Put some nice aluminum wheels on with bigger tires. He finally got I believe spider gears and at the drag races he blew the new gears the first race. Those were the days gas was 30 cents a gallon for high test.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A (pre) Bad Nomad ! 8)

Nice snag, IMHO - at this late date, classic cars with gennie steel bodies are hard to find.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

lots of good memories Griff, from the car guys and coming up on the NZ trip. you made the quality choice of course, and I hope you get lots of pictures.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I love those old cars.

I'm building a 65 Chevy C10 pickup that can be seen on this build thread. Go to the last page for most recent pics. Still a ways to go.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... ost6204879
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Awesome! My first car was a 57 chevy 210 2 door wagon.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Well... the loan went thru, no problem... Then the Mrs. reminded me that SHE promised my Mom & cousins that she'd save up for a trip to NZ for s, Mom & the boy. So... I had a choice to make, I could break her promise or buy the car. A no brainer. We'll be visiting NZ... 70 ain't too old for a red stag hunt is it?

Guess I'll have to study up on the rules about firearms, ammo & whether it's best to go under a US or NZ passport, need to check out cowboy action clubs & the timing for their Nat'ls & red stag seasons... The last trip I had to choose between the family reunion or the Nat'ls! The good thing is we'll mainly be staying w/family!
You gonna let her push you around like that? :twisted: Better lay down the law, before it gets to be a habit....Trust me, them women like the tough, manly approach. :shock: :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Classy rides!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:You gonna let her push you around like that? :twisted: Better lay down the law, before it gets to be a habit....Trust me, them women like the tough, manly approach. :shock: :idea:
I get to buy one when we get back! The seller said, "... call me when you get back... it ain't goin' anywhere." So it may still happen!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

"70 ain't too old for a red stag hunt is it?" - Griff , I was older than that when I took my Cape Buffalo in Africa- surely , a kid like you can handle a red stag!

Also- I too have a new Chevy 4wd station wagon and have already had it to the deer lease and pulled a trailer:

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

crs... that appear too big to merely be a "station wagon"... at least by today's standards! I smell a rat! Er... Suburban!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

You are about two feet long -
it is a Tahoe LTZ (the Chevy equivalent of the Yukon Denali) and it takes some getting used-to on things like ride, quietness, trim, and a very busy dash board - cars have changed a lot in the 15 years since I bought my 1999 Yukon!
If it lasts 15 years like my Yukon did, I may have time to learn all the features! Fortunately for me, the basic features like brakes, steering (now electric powered), turn signals, etc are the same to the driver, so I can get to the shooting range and back.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/