School me on Win Mdl55 takedown-Got it! with Pics.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

School me on Win Mdl55 takedown-Got it! with Pics.

Post by jfwlb »

I have a line on a Winchester Model 55 take down rifle made in 1927.

It looks to be in decent shape from the pictures, I'm just wondering on the price(Duh!) and the reputation of these rifles. it seems to have a 24 in. barrel and a button mag.

Also, this would be my first take down lever action, anything extra or special to look for when inspecting it? The current owner says he "replaced a few pivot points to make it smoother" I don't even know what that means. Any help guys?

John

I picked it up today. Looks just the previous stated. Good rifling, lots of honest wear. Came with an extra bolt and other spare parts.

I'm pleased. Can't wait to get it to the range.

John
Last edited by jfwlb on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: School me on Win Mdl55 takedown

Post by Griff »

Not sure what he means by "pivot points", unless it's the lever/link pin, lever/bolt pin, or ?? The thing to look for is any play in the barrel to frame fit. There are 3 adjustment screws to keep it tight... but... wear can be bad, especially if the rifle's been taken apart a lot. Look for the model number also being stamped on the barrel... as well as the tang, IIRC. I don't have my copy of "The Winchester Book" by George Madis handy, so I can't be more specific without possibly steering you wrong. Maybe someone does and will give you a couple of pointers. As always... value is based on condition. A TD action always increases the value... and in looking... I don't have my "Red Book" of gun values with me either! :twisted: :twisted:

The mdl 55 is just a variant of the mdl 94, but was offered as a standard model due to regular ordering of those features... IIRC, the beginning of production was serial numbered separately from the mdl 94... but later that was changed... and I can't remember whether it was receivers or barrels that carried the mdl 55 designation while their counterpart was marked mdl 94 toward the end of the model run.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

The Model 55 was Winchesters' attempt to consolidate the 1894 rifle line. It was listed from about 1924 to 1932 and only around 20K or so were ever made. The last few years of production, only the take-down model was listed. Supposedly, a larger percentage of take-downs were made in this model than any other Winchester. The solid frame is scarcer. Considering the low production, it has been my observation that the model never brought the prices it should have. Even now, nice model 55s seem to languish if they get much above the $1,000. price range. It was a nice trim, slim rifle to carry and was my fathers' favorite Winchester model in .25-35 caliber(very rare). In the summer of 1938 he shot over 800 woodchucks with his. I have owned several in .30 WCF and .32 Spec. calibers, and never thought they were particularly accurate, even compared to carbines in the same calibers. I blamed it on the 24" rapidly tapered barrel they wore. I do know that Winchester still had model 55s they were trying to unload into the late 1930s. My Dad said he bought his brand new in 1938, even though the model had been discontinued for six years.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thank you both for you excellent knowledge and tips, they are appreciated.

I think I may have access to Maddi's Book so I might be able to look up some more info. Unless I find something pretty derogatory, I think I will go ahead with at least the inspection. If I buy it, I will post pics.

Thanks!
John
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have one in 25-35 and think it is the slickest lever gun in rifle size Winchester made. Mind the fit of the takedown if equiped.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Re: School me on Win Mdl55 takedown-Got it! with Pics.

Post by jfwlb »

I edited my original post and added pictures. I thought that it would show up as a new post but I guess not, so I'm adding this for the folks that posted before, thanks guys!

John
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks as tho' it would have many tales to tell if only we could hear! ImageImage
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thats a good lookin rifle, like Griff said, if only it could talk
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Model 55's original list price was $44 :shock: - You sure got taken. . ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(Nice rifle, BTW ! . :P )

65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Do hope you got that 55 at a good price! Looks like its had a tough life. Appears as though the buttstock has been replaced at some point, as it has a much later m94 stock. Original stock had the nice fluted comb and early-style shotgun butt. It should make a decent 'shooter' if the bores okay, but as a collector, not so much.