Back to Bizzaro World... what if...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Back to Bizzaro World... what if...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Assuming all other frame/cylinder dimensions remain static...

If one were to make a cylinder and barrel for an 1858 Army that pushed a .36 ball (.357 groove) - what would the maximum capacity in grains per chamber be for said C&B cylinder?

Would such a (steel) frame withstand a "conversion" cylinder that took modern .357 SAAMI ammo?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Back to Bizzaro World... what if...

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Other than barrel length the .36 and .44 58 Remington reproductions share most of the the same components, i.e. they are both built on .44 frames. Euroarms (EOA) is the only manufacturer that I'm aware of that made a .36 Remington on the correct sized frame. I don't know if a conversion cylinder is long enough to ream to .357 Mag or not but I would be concerned about the barrel strength and the life of the frame. I expect maxing out .45 Colt or .38 special +P loads would batter one apart soon. It would be an interesting gun but I don't think it would be a good idea.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No :shock:
Maybe, with black powder only loads? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

FWIW I've seen flame cutting from BP in steel frame 58s at the barrel/cylinder gap in the adjacent top strap.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

OK...

So, what I'm hearing is that (A) the Stainless Steel in my Uberti 1858 is not as strong as the stainless steel in my SP101, and, (b) even though a SAAMI .357 fits into a .45 Colt conversion cylinder with a few thousandths of OAL to spare (not to mention tons of cylinder meat) it wouldn't work dimensionally.

It's not like I want to take apart my current 1858, but I'm looking for actual physics/mechanical/metallurgical reasons why it could not be done on a modern (stainless) Steel frame...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!