32-40, Anybody load for it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

32-40, Anybody load for it?

Post by elmo123 »

I have picked up a 32-40 barrel and have thought about rebarreling one of my 94's but I have a couple of questions. Can you make cases out of 30-30 cases and can you use 32 Spl bullets? I have a box of original HV 32-40 rounds. Thanks, Mike
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 32-40, Anybody load for it?

Post by Griff »

No, but I really want to be! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I do, but I use 32-40 brass and bullets designed for the 32-40 (correct crimp groove location). I think some people do use the shorter 30-30 brass which may allow you to use 32 WS bullets, but I have not tried that. I know that generally your OAL will be too long with 32-40 brass and 32WS bullets.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

elmo123 wrote:I have picked up a 32-40 barrel and have thought about rebarreling one of my 94's but I have a couple of questions. Can you make cases out of 30-30 cases and can you use 32 Spl bullets? I have a box of original HV 32-40 rounds. Thanks, Mike

I have a TCR-83 single shot and you can make brass from a 30-30, but it will be a hair short. Bullets for a 32 special should work very well. Recently I have seen 32-40 brass for sale at Midway, so it's worth googling around for it. :idea:
Merle from PA
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Thanks for the replies. I have a cannelure tool so I can ad a cannelure to the bullets so they are not too long.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My .32-40 is a Ruger #1 set up to breech seat. I shoot a NEI 190 gr .323" cast bullet over 14 gr. IMR 4227 and it will shoot into 1/2" @100yd if I haven't had too much coffee.
Recoil and report is on the order of a .22 Short in a light rifle. 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Depends on how particular you are and what you believe what you have read in the gun mags. 30-30 brass is all I have used for decades. Run em through a 32-40 fls and seat the bullets accordingly.

Experimenting with thousands of rounds, I never could tell the difference...but like I said...seat the bullets accordingly...you will need a Lee FCD....That makes the job easier as the crimp groove will not be where it's supposed to be-----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Chuck, that's an outstanding rig you have. You don't by chance have schuetzen wood and hardware on her do you?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Bill in Oregon , No I don`t. It has the standard 1B wood.
I sent it to Buck Penrod (Penrod Precision ) about 15 years ago and he installed a 30" Douglas schuetzen barrel (8mm) 1:14 twist (blued) and chambered in the old style .32-40 chamber spec.
100 pieces of brass is more than a lifetime supply. :D
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Bill in Oregon , No I don`t. It has the standard 1B wood.
I sent it to Buck Penrod (Penrod Precision ) about 15 years ago and he installed a 30" Douglas schuetzen barrel (8mm) 1:14 twist (blued) and chambered in the old style .32-40 chamber spec.
100 pieces of brass is more than a lifetime supply. :D

HMMM, just how is this different than "newer" rifles? Also, isn't an 8mm a couple of thousands larger than a 32-40? What bullets do you use? Not a big deal, if you handload. :?:
Merle from PA
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

"HMMM, just how is this different than "newer" rifles? Also, isn't an 8mm a couple of thousands larger than a 32-40? What bullets do you use? Not a big deal, if you handload. :?:"

The 8mm bore size is almost identical to original .32-40 bore size in modern manufacture I am told.
Also, when breech seating the chamber has little to do with accuracy because the cases only need to be cleaned and re primed and not resized. Cases are almost everlasting.
My favorite .32 mold is an original NOE mold made in Oregon and casts a 190 gr. PB bullet and those I pan lube with SPG and size in a Lee push through die at .323". The die only cleans up the lube and barely touches the bullet.
I have a Bragging (wallet) group I have been carrying around for years that has 5 bullet holes in just over 3/8" shot at 100 yd.
The first shot I ever fired with that gun, I thought it never went off,no recoil and it sounded like the primer only fired , I ejected the case and looked down the barrel. The bore was clean. I looked with the spotting scope and there was a hole in the 10 ring!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I forgot, The early rifle chambers were ,like the .44-40 and .38-40 made so when a round is fired the case expands to fill the chamber the neck is almost blown out all the way to make the empty case a straight taper with almost no neck. Then when you resize the case you are forming a neck back on that case to support a new bullet. This is very hard on brass and makes for a very sloppy fit in the gun. Newer chambers are designed to properly fit the reloaded or factory round (with neck) as they come factory and out of reloading dies.
The .40-65 is one of those type of rounds also and modern chamber dimensions are much more accurate and easier on the brass. I hope I explained that so you understand. :? Chuck
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:"HMMM, just how is this different than "newer" rifles? Also, isn't an 8mm a couple of thousands larger than a 32-40? What bullets do you use? Not a big deal, if you handload. :?:"

The 8mm bore size is almost identical to original .32-40 bore size in modern manufacture I am told.
Also, when breech seating the chamber has little to do with accuracy because the cases only need to be cleaned and re primed and not resized. Cases are almost everlasting.
My favorite .32 mold is an original NOE mold made in Oregon and casts a 190 gr. PB bullet and those I pan lube with SPG and size in a Lee push through die at .323". The die only cleans up the lube and barely touches the bullet.
I have a Bragging (wallet) group I have been carrying around for years that has 5 bullet holes in just over 3/8" shot at 100 yd.
The first shot I ever fired with that gun, I thought it never went off,no recoil and it sounded like the primer only fired , I ejected the case and looked down the barrel. The bore was clean. I looked with the spotting scope and there was a hole in the 10 ring!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I forgot, The early rifle chambers were ,like the .44-40 and .38-40 made so when a round is fired the case expands to fill the chamber the neck is almost blown out all the way to make the empty case a straight taper with almost no neck. Then when you resize the case you are forming a neck back on that case to support a new bullet. This is very hard on brass and makes for a very sloppy fit in the gun. Newer chambers are designed to properly fit the reloaded or factory round (with neck) as they come factory and out of reloading dies.
The .40-65 is one of those type of rounds also and modern chamber dimensions are much more accurate and easier on the brass. I hope I explained that so you understand. :? Chuck

Yep, I got it. Thanks. :wink:
Merle from PA
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

elmo123 wrote:I have picked up a 32-40 barrel and have thought about rebarreling one of my 94's but I have a couple of questions. Can you make cases out of 30-30 cases and can you use 32 Spl bullets? Thanks, Mike
Yes and Yes. Also my 30/30 FCD crimps the resulting slightly short 32/40 cartridge nicely, though I don't know if all of Lee's 30/30 FCD dies allow the larger diameter cartridge. And the 32 Spcl bullet crimped in the crimp groove feeds and chambers just fine through the Savage 1899 so loaded...

I would also recommend the Lee die set for making the cases: the Lee sizing die has a great tapered expander that takes the neck up in diameter perfectly, which does not always happen with the more abruptly shaped neck expanders.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darn it Chuck, you're giving me fevers with all this talk about your recoilless tack driver ...

:(
8)