Deer season update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Deer season update

Post by Dave »

So far this year I have bagged 5 does. I hate to admit it but I shot the first two with the 243, but as always I could have made both those shots with a lever. The next three fell to the Marlin 30-30 in my avatar. I need 6 and have a lot of season left so I am going to switch to my Winchester 94 Trapper with iron. I have yet to kill a deer with it. The trigger was so heavy it was almost unusable when I got it, but that has been remedied and the gun is ready to go. Foolproof on the rear.

The place I am hunting is calling for 50 does to be shot this season. It is doubtful that many will be taken as a lot of people only want horns. Some years the deer come hard but this year I am ahead of schedule. I am planning on supplying some other folks with some deer who can use them since they want so many managed off that place and things are going well.

I am going to limit myself to about 75 yards with the Trapper on deer and maybe 125 on hogs and other varmints. Many hogs this year but so far no shot for me. Set up for some last night but only saw deer and turkeys.

Hopefully I will be posting a pic of the Trapper about this time next week along side its first kill.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Deer season update

Post by RIHMFIRE »

so far you have killed more deer than i have seen from my stands......

congrats...good luck with the trapper!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Dave -- nice post, nothing like a good old 30-30... :)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Don't forget to pick up an extra freezer. :D
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

sounds like a great season so far, can we hear more on the 50 doe area?

ollogger
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Taking care of the herd! The true! conservationist ,the Hunter! Good on Ya!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You must have big freezer! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

ollogger wrote:sounds like a great season so far, can we hear more on the 50 doe area?

ollogger
The place I am blessed to hunt is a 4000 acre club inside the Mississippi River levee. It is technically in AR. It has been deer managed for about 40 years. Each year the game commission takes a look at the place and tells them how many does need to be taken. Then they give them doe tags that look kind of like a zip tie.

In the past the club used strategies like each member got 3 does and things along that line. One year though they decided that just wasn't working and decided it didn't matter if each member killed a certain number or one guy killed them all. Fact is most members will not shoot a doe because they are trophy hunters. The new way opened up a lot of opportunity for members with children to bring their childrens' friends and also for guys like me who need to good many deer each year. It has worked a lot better than the old way. I am probably king deer manager over there :lol:

It is hard to describe how much fun my buddy and I have had there over the last almost 20 years. Our relationship is based on the fact neither one of us plays golf and both of us will do any kind of hunting or fishing. My buddy is a true MS flatlander who grew up hunting and fishing. I am here in the flat now but grew up in and have deep roots in the hills of TN. We hit the jackpot with each other and have been loading coolers with fish and game since.

We do it all. Squirrel, turkey, deer, fishing. It is a wonderworld of fish and game in and around the River. Plus the historical and cool factor of the River. We found an old keel boat stuck in the bank when the River went way down one year and University of AR came and dug it. The River is really something.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I for one just learned a lot, sounds like a great place :mrgreen:
thanks a lot for the info, some day if I retire im a gonna check out that part of the world

ollogger