1873 winchester half-mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1873 winchester half-mag

Post by Richardx »

Oops! Sorry, I meant to put "" around the '76 in my post, to mark the sarcasm, I thought it was interesting that Newman had a special "short" receiver '76... :lol:
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Dusty Texian wrote:Finally took the old 38wcf out to the range today. I tried the test loads with toilet paper under the bullet and over the 2ff Swiss bp. @ 50yd. these loads tumbled real bad. No surprise this old barrel is in bad shape. I tried the .060"poly wad under the 180gr. cast bullet and over the 2ff Swiss bp. This load was a surprise in the good way. Finally the old 73 shot a straight bullet ,round hole and went where it was pointed. Will now load up more of the same load and do a bit more testing. Even if I never shoot the old gun much there is just something in me that will not rest until I get a gun to shoot or prove to myself that it is hopeless. This one was almost blessed as Hopeless! Laughed at the range today with another shooter ,saying all our good shooting guns are in the safe and the problem guns get the most attention. I am sure others can relate. Thanks w30wcf for the poly wad idea ,It Worked!!!! ,,,DT
Dusty,
Great news! Glad to see that the .060" poly disc aka polyethylene gas check, also worked well in your vintage '73 38WCF. :D

It sure made a difference with certain loadings in my oversized '73 44WCF which has less than a perfect barrel. :D It is a great feeling of accomplishment getting these vintage rifles shooting well once again.

"Even if I never shoot the old gun much there is just something in me that will not rest until I get a gun to shoot or prove to myself that it is not hopeless."

Yes, indeed!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Dusty,
Please keep us updated as your .38 W.C.F. journey continues......

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Thank you for all the advice and help in the past Mr. w30wcf. The poly check Idea ,was the ticket to getting the old 38/40wcf with a very rough barrel to shoot again. This particular short rifle has a rare barrel configuration and I sure did not want to make any changes to the rifle. Now by using the poly check load I can put it in the rack and know that it will shoot decent groups again. The old rough barrel fouls very fast and needs extra attention at cleaning time. But that is not a problem ,as I never tire of handling antique lever action rifles. DT.