Reloading: Bench mounted press changes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Reloading: Bench mounted press changes

Post by JohndeFresno »

The common instructions to new handloaders include mounting your press(es) firmly on a stable platform. But the issue of spent primers that get stuck under the press is not handled. And it happens. I have had to unbolt my Lee Turret press twice to rid if of all of those errant components that did not cooperate with the procedure.

My current setup involves changing over from a plywood mount to 1/4 inch steel, mounted just a tad away from the bench. No wobble at all. Then, as shown on the plywood "template" that I gave to a local metal fabrication shop, the plate was cut out around the inside of the bottom of the press mounts so that primers can fall freely. $24 and some change. This mount also gives me more space to clean around and lubricate the ram arm and linkage.

Occasionally, primers also like to test my patience by flying away from the press a bit. Now, I know that some of y'all have stated that you don't care if the primers fall onto the ground or floor. But my setup is in the garage, and if I picked up a primer in my shoe tread and then scratched our hardwood flooring, I would do well to move a cot into the garage rather than hear the "feedback" from my beloved. So my primers are collected by a trash can, as shown. My reach allows me to work with the components and still use the press comfortably while standing to the side. OK, that's my two cents for the new reloader (primarily).

Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Reloading: Bench mounted press changes

Post by J Miller »

That's a pretty neat set up. I like the idea of the primers going straight to the collection can. My Bonanza Co-Ax has a drop tube with a collection bottle on it. So that helps a bit, but you still have to empty them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That's a nice setup... I have the same press that started out as a 3 hole version... The only other modification I've done is make changing the ram arm angle quick change by utilizing a twist knob in place of the nut for the bolt that you have to loosen to change the arm angle... Got mine @ ACE
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you, gents. Good tip, Ben. I have an Ace store right down the street.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The RCBS Rock Chucker and Jr 2 presses have a horseshoe shaped "trough" that captures 99.9% of the spent primers... probably holds about a thousand. I can't say it's 100%, as I have forgotten to dump it out... :mrgreen:

The Dillon 550B has a mechanical catch bin, that opens when the ram is lowered to drop the spent primer in the mounted catch bin. As long as the mechanical part is adjusted properly, it too is very nearly 100%.

Smooth soled shoes are a boon to not having debris collected for tracking into the mistresses' domain!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great tips as always, Griff!
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Ms. Donna allows me to buy guns and gear.

However I do not wear shoes in the house.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

When I used the Lee Turret press I had bored a hole through the bench. I had screwed the lid to a small jar underneath the bench and just unscrewed the jar when I needed to dump spent primers. I don't remember where I got the idea.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Very informative information with nice pictures of your setup. Nothing beats experience, IMO. Thanks for the tip:) :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's another idea I've found useful. I raised the workbench (old wooden one, as well as new metal one I now use) top as illustrated. It adds some 'cubbies' for frequently used tools, plus the slight cantilever to the front provides an overhang that clears press handles and so on. If needed, a concave notch can be cut to accommodate the ram of the press, but note the new Lee Turret Presses have a different shaped base which helps mount the press without any notches needed.

These threads are cool; I get many ideas from them, so I always try to post/share my projects as well. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ya make me proud Doc! I always thought that a clean, uncluttered reloading bench is the sign of a sick mind!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Some of youse guys have some really good ideas. I just use a Black & Decker Workmate, for a reloading bench:
Reloading press arangement 950.jpg
Each press is a single-stage press: Lee Hand Press; Lyman Acculine; BCBS Jr. 2. The Lee Hand Press is held in a portable Wilton bench vise, while the other two are bolted down. Each press has a different Lee Carbide die in it: decapping & sizing; expanding & charging; seating & crimping. I move the whole apparatus to where I will be reloading, then I spread out the scale, reloading block, hand primer, powder, and primers, on a different table, as needed. I can easily dismount the handpress, and decap & size, while I watch television.

Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Another good idea; thanks Doc.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Richardx wrote:Ms. Donna allows me to buy guns and gear.

However I do not wear shoes in the house.
Yes, I know, Richard... we had a white rug and it was the same here. Hated it.

Thankfully, it finally gave up the ghost from all of that steam cleaning (despite our bare foot tango)...
...but now it's a wood floor. Once again, I am shod. (With apologies to Uncle Buck for this "picture.")
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

JohndeFresno wrote:The common instructions to new handloaders include mounting your press(es) firmly on a stable platform. But the issue of spent primers that get stuck under the press is not handled. And it happens. I have had to unbolt my Lee Turret press twice to rid if of all of those errant components that did not cooperate with the procedure.

My current setup involves changing over from a plywood mount to 1/4 inch steel, mounted just a tad away from the bench. No wobble at all. Then, as shown on the plywood "template" that I gave to a local metal fabrication shop, the plate was cut out around the inside of the bottom of the press mounts so that primers can fall freely. $24 and some change. This mount also gives me more space to clean around and lubricate the ram arm and linkage.

Occasionally, primers also like to test my patience by flying away from the press a bit. Now, I know that some of y'all have stated that you don't care if the primers fall onto the ground or floor. But my setup is in the garage, and if I picked up a primer in my shoe tread and then scratched our hardwood flooring, I would do well to move a cot into the garage rather than hear the "feedback" from my beloved. So my primers are collected by a trash can, as shown. My reach allows me to work with the components and still use the press comfortably while standing to the side. OK, that's my two cents for the new reloader (primarily).

so I have to ask ... How long does it take to fill up a 32gal can with used primers LOLOLOLOLOL
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

H_Talon wrote:... How long does it take to fill up a 32gal can with used primers LOLOLOLOLOL
:shock: :lol:
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"so I have to ask ... How long does it take to fill up a 32gal can with used primers LOLOLOLOLOL"

Takes me about 2 weeks.