Results of the Gun Auction

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Results of the Gun Auction

Post by Sixgun »

Dudes & fellow Shootists,
Either I am getting old and am out of touch with pricing of fine guns. Well, I am 53 and I'm not out of touch as I eat, sleep and breath the classics and antiques but what is it with auctions??????

Are people just plain stupid? I watched 231 guns go off for sale and was only able to touch one. And that "one" was for my buddy Tom at Targetmaster and you had to be an educated guncrank to know its value. I got NOTHIN' and I'm crying. How about this:

Winchester 1892 standard 32-20 24" oct, full mag--nice clean gun with about 80% mixed blue & patina, nice bore and mechanics, decent wood, in other words, a used but not abused gun. I bid up to $1200. It was an honest $1600 gun. It went for $2750 :shock:
Ruger OM single sixes XR3-Red (with boxes) going for $450-$550
Model 88's going for 9
Import marked M-1 garands and M-1 carbines going for 7-10
Model 29's, 27's, and a few model 25's in 45 Long Colt going for 6-8 (they were near new p & r examples though)
Pure junk old double barreled shotguns going for 3-5--(keep in mind, I know my LC Smiths, Parkers, Ithaca's, and A.H Foxes) These were j-u-n-k.
L.C Smith 20 ga. Field--about a 20% well used gun--$2250 (yea, maybe if it had some finish left :wink: )
Post war but pre-64 94's going for 5-8 depending on condition

Anyway, It must be one of those "more money than brains" things. Or maybe these people have no idea where to buy these guns elsewhere. Maybe they just want to show everyone just how much money they have.

There is this one weird looking guy who attends all of the local auctions. He will pay $700 for a used Remington 700 boltgun at auction. If you show him an identical gun in the parking lot for $400, he will turn his nose up to you.

Here's the gun I picked up for Tom. Its a new in box Colt National Match made in 1972. Chambered for the 38 Spl. wc. Rare bird in a rare caliber.-----$1250 (stole it :D :D )

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Sixgun,

I grew up in NE PA (Scranton) and my parents live in Harrisburg now. Beautiful land.

I think you hit it on the head when you said the buyers had more money than sense. Seems like they get in a shark like feeding frenzy and refuse to be outbid. They see the gun they want as "theirs" already and take issue with the fact that someone els is stepping on their proprietary rights. I see the same effect in road rage cases. Normal people lose their mind on the road because of some small affront that occurs while driving and they take it personally.

I like 1911's and that one is pretty. Is your friend going to shoot it or put it away somewhere?
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gosh, what would a very nice Standard Model 21 from about 1947 go for?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I don't have much patience for high prices. I am more of a "Buy Now" fan myself. Find something you like, then claim it.

I find the same frustration when looking at used handguns, especially S&W and Colts. Two guns that look to be in the same condition and the same basic setup can demand two very different prices. And usually both are over-priced(for me anyways).
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Gosh, what would a very nice Standard Model 21 from about 1947 go for?]

Anywhere from the med-high four figures to the low five figures, depending upon gauge, etc.
If it's a .410, you can name your price, up to at least a big 50K - N.P. :shock:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

12 Guage Pete, a friend's uncle owned it and used it once in the 40s, great shape with a mutton leg. My friend didn't know anything about this so he called over to look at it to see if he should take it. :roll:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

O. Savage-Pete has it right--between 4 and 5K. but..............if its exceptional and you are at the right show and a guy is there with a pocket full of cash well.............timing is everything...could go for 6-8. The way I see it, Model 21's are not on every gunshop's rack--very desirable double gun---------Sixgun

Irish Cop----------yep--the shark feeding frenzy-ITS MINE!!!! BTW-Scranton is a nice area and sure has some nice huntin' but like most towns in Pa., they are getting swamped with illegals and service parasites.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Ouch ... you DID steal that NM 1911. :shock:
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sounds like we must be going to the same kind of auctions. Its unreal how many people will pay a price higher on some guns that you could buy cheaper at Walmart. Some of the antiques really get over bid. Kind of makes you sick when you go see that many guns at auction and cant get at least one of them. But honestly if you were able to keep the bid, you would probably be paying too much!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The (used) leg-o-mutton case, in excellent condition with a key to the lock, is worth at least $200-$300. (new = $500 - $1500)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A buddy of mine went to an auction with the guy we were both working for. They had a beat up Snapper ridding lawn mower that the boss said he wanted to cut the grass around the shop with. the price kept going up and up... my buddy poked the boss and said what are you doing? You can buy a new one for less than that. He shrugged and said I ain't lettin that S.O.B. beat me out of it and on he went. He ended up paying $750 for it in 1988.

It's the conquest I think.

I hope some of those guys show up if I ever auction some of my stuff off.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Rusty wrote:A buddy of mine went to an auction with the guy we were both working for. They had a beat up Snapper ridding lawn mower that the boss said he wanted to cut the grass around the shop with. the price kept going up and up... my buddy poked the boss and said what are you doing? You can buy a new one for less than that. He shrugged and said I ain't lettin that S.O.B. beat me out of it and on he went. He ended up paying $750 for it in 1988.

It's the conquest I think.

I hope some of those guys show up if I ever auction some of my stuff off.
Couldn't agree more. Everybody wants to be a winner at something even if they have to buy their win.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

I've seen people pay more for online auctions than you can buy brand new from gun stores or online dealers.
I definately do my shopping.
You want a real laugh look at what they are getting for M1 Carbines these days!
They used to practically give those things away 25 years ago, Now Rock Ola or a Saginaw or any of the rarer ones are bringing $1300--$1850!!!!
No way in hell I would pay that much for an M1 carbine but I see it all the time.
I've got a rare M1 Carbine and I have been considering selling it and buying an M1 from my neighbor who wants $400 for his and taking the extra cash and buying one of those new 1876 Winchester Uberti replicas in 45-60.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I'm halfway to 108 and have attended TWO (2) firearm auctions in my lifetime, and will never attend another one for the reasons stated in Sixgun's thread starter. There's a psychological effect of some sort that gets bidders lathered up to spend more than what an item's worth. Since I won't do that, it's a complete waste of time for me to go to an auction.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

You think crazy prices at gun auctions are bad, try watching the auto auctions from Barrett Jackson in Scotsdale and Florida. It's got to be something the auction companies spray into the air as you go in.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Marvel at this while you can. When our economy falls, as it eventually will, these over priced guns will either be scrapped because those who paid so much for them can't get their money back, or they'll be out taking game again to feed the bidders mouth.

That is, if we are allowed by the great benevolent government to even own them them.

The auction attitude mentioned in the original post is why I refuse to bid on guns on Auction ARms or any of the other auctions. It's not worth my trouble.

Besides, I like to examine my toys before I drop the cash on the counter.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

My FIL has been looking for a model 12 field grade 16 gauge at the auctions and is amazed at what some people will pay for a beat used model 12 in any gauge. Let alone a nice one.
Make me want to have a auction of my own.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

J Miller wrote: . . . Besides, I like to examine my toys before I drop the cash on the counter.

Joe

+1. That's the best reason against auctions, Joe.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Years ago I went to an auction of a pawn shop in Clovis, N.M.
Same thing, paying more for them used, then they could go down the street and buy them new.
The auctioneer had a couple of guys working the crowd, I remember thinking; my old Psych professor really did earn his money.
I did not buy anything