Gun Tests Magazine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Gun Tests Magazine

Post by AndyM »

For your reading enjoyment and opinions...

I received my latest issue of gun tests magazine last night and there is an article on them testing 3 lever action .22 "plinkers". They tested the Henry Golden Boy, Browning BL-II (I think) and a Marlin 39 (an older model)

They rated them in the following order, based on accuracy, handling, looks, and of course their opinion - the Henry came in 1st, the Browning second, and the Marlin third.

I usually read all their articles and take their opinions with a grain of salt - the guns they "test" and then rate, usually come down to the authors opinion. I receive the magazine becasue it is somewhat different than most other gun rags and they do cover a wide range of firearms - plus I always like to hear other peoples opinions on different types of firearms.

The reason I post this is becasue after spending time here - everyone seems to love their Marlins and the Browning is nothing more than a knock-off of the Winchester 9422 and for the most part the Henry's are not usually talked about too much - it seems odd that this article has all these levers backwards of what our collective opinion here is.

How interesting...
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've got a Henry H001, 9422, and a 39a and I've done a few comparisons.

With the same ammo out of all 3 at 50yds:

(Fed. bulk 550pk) 39a most accurate, with 9422 and H001 equal.

(CCI Stingers) 9422 most accurate, 39a, then H001

(CCI Mini Mag SP) 39a most accurate, H001, then 9422

(Remngton Golden) H001, 39a, then 9422

Both Win94 and Henry are smoother than the Marlin and easier to mount scopes on.

I think the 39a looks the best out of the 3 and it does feel better at the shoulder.

The Henry looks really tacky with the reciever being painted and looking like an orange peel, and also those four screws holding it on. I've fixed those problems now, and it looks 100% better.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

My Henry ROCKS I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Most folks prefer blued steel over painted aluminum which definitely makes
the others look and feel more authentic in a levergun sort of way.

It all comes down to what you like verses how much your willing to shell out.

Keep digging and you'll find a bunch of wacko's on this site who love their Henry's.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Years ago when Gun Tests first came out, I bought a 5 year subscription. When the 5 years was up, I did not resubscribe. During that time I read enough of their "evaluations" to be come cinvinced that not only were most of their "tests" amateurish and bogus, but a good deal of the shooting claimed could not have taken place. They claim superiority over gun mags that sell advertising, but the blatant personal bias of some of their writers and testers is no better than any bias engendered by sales may be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The BL-22 is NOT a knock-off of the 9422. Different actions and both are fine guns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

I did the same as a poster above. I bought a 3 or 5 year subscription and really thought this was great. After reading it a few years, I got to the point I could almost predict what they would conclude just by reading what guns they were going to test. It is quite opinionated and very subjective.

I will say that they have grains of wisdom, but just like the Internet forums, sometimes the amount of chaff you have to sift to get the wheat exceeds the value so I did not renew.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Hobie wrote:The BL-22 is NOT a knock-off of the 9422. Different actions and both are fine guns.
True - IIRC, the BL22 does one thing most other lever (or any repeating rimfire rifles) don't - or at least don't advertise doing - it handles .22 long rifles, longs, and shorts - even in the same magazine full - for what that's worth. I grew up in the 1930 depression years and shot shorts in my bolt single shot because they cost two bits per box and long rifles were twice the cost. Required head shots but - developed better shooting. :wink:

I had the same experience with Gun Tests. Matter of fact, most gun mags lead one to expect good articles and some advertising - and deliver the opposite - practically speaking. In SGN, one expects lots of advertising but, it also prints lots of good articles on guns and gun subjects that aren't advertised there.

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

True - IIRC, the BL22 does one thing most other lever (or any repeating rimfire rifles) don't - or at least don't advertise doing - it handles .22 long rifles, longs, and shorts - even in the same magazine full
All three of the levers I listed above feed/fire equally well with Shorts, long, and LR. So, I suspect it had to do with a lack of advertising.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Agree with Hobie, totally different guns.
One thing the Browning does that's quite different is attach the trigger to the lever, which enables the user to keep the trigger finger inside the "guard" section of the lever during cycling & basically ready to pull as soon as the lever closes. The Browning mag tube is also kept under spring tension when not loaded (doesn't fall out when you least expect it like the 9422), and the Browning (if I recall correctly) has one extractor while the Winchester has two. :)
In my experience, of the three, the Henry Goldenboys are the most accurate across the board.
Denis
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I've been thinking about picking up a Henry .22 as a cheap knock around or truck type gun, one I wouldn't mind getting banged up. I would consider the basic H001 model, but it has the cheesy plastic sights. Does anyone know of a way to replace the plastic factory sights? I know they make a non Goldenboy model with an octagon barrel and iron sights, but would prefer the basic (translation---cheap!) rifle with better sights.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

66 GTO, Henry sells the same plastic front sight also in metal. Order it straight from Henry.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Thanks. Academy Sports had the H001 Henry on sale around Christmas for $200. If they run that sale again, I'm all over it.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I have a Marlin 39A with a tapered octagon barrel and a couple of 9422s in carbine and rifle lengths. I have to say, the Winchesters function smooth as silk in comparison to the Marlin. (So, what's new???) That being said, the 39A is my favorite .22 unless, of course, I'm shooting one of the 9422s! I sure do enjoy walking in the woods with the .22 de jour. All of them shoot squirrels in their little heads when I'm doing my part. I'm the weak link in that endeavor!