My favorite pic of new Marlin 1894SS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

My favorite pic of new Marlin 1894SS

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Here is my favorite picture of my new Marlin 1894SS. There are some more in another post titled For better or worse...'til death do us part.

I should have named the post better but I was trying to convey that I now had a new rifle for life. In retrospect the title of the other post ...ahem...sucks.

Oh well, live and learn.

The knife is a custom Damascus steel job by Brian Wilhoite who works for the Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, TN.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

very nice....what part of SW VA are you in, sir? I'm a native of the Martinsville area myself....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Thats a nice combo you got there. :D
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Nice weapons.... :) How much did the Marlin cost and what custom work did yoiu have done?
Semper Fi
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Jarhead, the knife was a custom made knife. You can find other knives made by the same man, Brain Wilhoite, on line or at the Smokey Mountain Knife Works. The rifle, a .44 Mag Marlin 1894SS, has had no custom work done.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! I'm thinking that inlay would look very cool on your Marlin's stock!!! 8)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I always enjoy nice photos like that. Thanks for posting it. By the way, I sure do have a weak spot for Damascus steel.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Without a doubt a very nice picture. :D Thanks for posting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice job on the photography too. Since you seem to be drawn to the four leaf clover and such You might be able to find someone in your area that does laser engraving so they could put that same design on your stock for you.

MY wife's family is from down near where you are. They lived on the other side of the mountain in McDowell Co, WV.

I never did hear either. How did you end up getting your rifle? Was your friend able to play a part in it for you?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Ysabel Kid, Now that you mention it...I think I would like that inlay done to the stock as well. Maybe a craftsman could inlay some silver wire that would match the steel of the receiver...or steel wire...or aluminum wire. What do you guys think would corrode least?

Kirk, I really like the Damascus steel as well. Thanks.

Jaguarundi, I appreciate that. I used a camera of questionable quality, but it turned at ok.

Rusty, I don't know of anyone that laser engraves around here. I'll talk to my gunsmith though and see what he says. Only problem is if I ever lose or break that 'lil skinner then it may look strange. Maybe I'll just go with some form of clover and skip the curly, entwined bit.

Well, you have all given me some food for thought. (Darn, and I just bought the doggone thing and thought I was through spending money for awhile.)

OK...my next job is to save up for a matching revolver.

Do your wives put up with this? My near endless cycling of the lever has her about to throw me out of the house.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Irish_Cop-Just tell your wife "you are breaking the action in" :roll:and "saving money while doing the breaking the action in without shooting the ammo" :idea: :lol: !!!Well those excuses work for my wife :twisted: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Enjoyed the phote because I like SS 1894s. Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Nice looking 1894, looks a lot like mine. Nice knife too.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got my 1894SS last year after my 13 year old son 'stole' my blued one (by getting a deer with it and I promised him the gun if he got one).
Here it is, playing with it's brother Mr. Redhawk, and cousins Puma and Blackhawk. What a wonderful family!

I think it has become (shhh... don't let the other guns hear). OK - I closed the safe so it's ok to talk... my FAVORITE gun.

Big enough for bear, but downloadable for stray cats; 'high capacity' yet old fashioned; weatherproof yet not utilitarian; plus any bullets seem to work - you can shoot pea-gravel out of it if you have a sabot and primer and powder, and durn near any powder is useable. Just stock up on primers.

I mounted the Williams peep sight on the forward scope holes, just because it felt better to carry, snags less in brush (I hunt some crawl-and-pull stuff on occasion), and I don't think 2" less sight radius matters for me. It seems fairly accurate too, but I haven't got a chance to really bench it yet. (I'll remove the Williams and put my BSA 36x on it and shoot it off a rest this summer just to see what IT can do so I'll know what it expects of me, then I'll re-mount the Williams and try to live up to it's potential.)

Anyway, I share your infatuation for the 1894 SS.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Noah, Thanks, I am really enjoying this rifle...even though I haven't shot it yet. If the weather holds out I will remedy that predicament today.

Mike, I am making my own pouch sheath for the knife. The one that came with the knife is less than sufficient.

AJ, I like your photo array. I want to get a Redhawk also, but I was planning to get wood grips to match the Marlin. Do you feel the Pachmayr grips are better due to recoil? I would like the "matched" look but I may change my mind if I understand that aesthetics need to take a back seat to practicality.

Opinions?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Irish_Cop wrote: AJ, I like your photo array. I want to get a Redhawk also, but I was planning to get wood grips to match the Marlin. Do you feel the Pachmayr grips are better due to recoil? I would like the "matched" look but I may change my mind if I understand that aesthetics need to take a back seat to practicality.

Opinions?
In my case, it was just the fact that the factory grips didn't fit well (gap between frame and wood) and I picked up the Pachmayr's in a used bin at a gun show. I DO like them, however. I have tried lots of others, and only the Pachmayr's seem to fit my hand. Someday I plan to make a set of wood grips myself, or perhaps 'fix' the ones that are warped.

I have a chunk of poison ivy vine about 3" in diameter, and the 'wood' is many-colored (like one of those fancy laminates) and since I am not allergic to it, thought I might make grips out of that. I could polyurethane them up really well so others could use my gun, or maybe just leave them plain to teach any unauthorized 'borrowers' a lesson. :twisted:

I kind of like the single action shape better, but Redhawks are really solid and I like them overall.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

AJ, I like your idea of using the multi colored Poison Ivy as grips. Being a vine, will they stand up to the rigors of shooting? I know dried rattan, a vine, is used in the martial art stick fighting system called Escrima, so I think the Poison Ivy could work. Once the sap dries anyone should be able to use them, but I imagine some may leech out of the grips and onto the hands, then the face as they wipe away sweat, etc. (Man...you are vindictive...I like it.) I think I am either resistant or immune as well. I crawled through a ton of the stuff while I served in Korea and I never broke out. I suppose could test a small patch of my inner arm. I learned that watching Survivorman on the Discovery Channel... :wink:

I went outside a minute ago during a brief reprieve from the rain and shot the rifle for the first time. I blew an old, but still full, Poweraid bottle to kingdom come. The bottle flew way up in the air and it rained red drops through the air. My eleven year old son used words like, "COOL!"and "AWESOME!" I live in a in a county where shooting is allowed, but since I live in a subdivision it is considered bad etiquette, so I just shot the one round. At least I got to shoot it, but a range day, to test for groups, is still in the future. Darn rain! :evil:
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I found an interesting article on Contact Dermatitis From Japanese Rifles.

http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/R ... M99Fin.htm

In a Reader's Digest nutshell version, the article details how a varnish made from Sumac was used on Japanese rifles and caused a rash on some service men. OT...I know, but it is in keeping with AJ's idea about using Poison Ivy to make pistol grips.