I thought it was a silly idea, but you said..............

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

I thought it was a silly idea, but you said..............

Post by hightime »

liked the smaller Uberti roller, but thought a 4.5 lb. 45-70 was just dumb. A couple of you guys said, it might be fun with BP. It ate away at me for almost two months. I went and got it today. I can't wait to play.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I thought it was a silly idea, but you said.............

Post by Pete44ru »

OUCH ! ! . :roll:

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Kinda reminds me of the Ruger #3s that Dick Casull did up in .454.. Wicked brutal...!!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That little thing is a 45-70? Sweet!

Not a problem if you handload, especially if you cast too.

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It doesn't have to breath fire.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Looks like a handy little rifle, I think light loads would be best though.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

One thing is for sure, I doubt it has been shot much. I would seriously worry about the wrist of that stock with full power .45-70s.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

No I'm not even going to shoot trapdoor loads. I've got a Marlin for that stuff. Light loads for sure, probably all BP. It's an easy gun to clean, unlike the Marlin.
I do need some help with BP loads that don't fill the case though, never done that. I normally shoot compressed in my Sharps. Do you use filler? I'd like to try 50 gr. FG. , a wad, pee of grease then a 310 gr. cast. What do you think?

Owen
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

You could get a custom mold made in a 220 to 250 SWC made for it in .460 diameter or so.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Owen,
I've done a little bit of work with light 45-70 BP loads. I use wads to take up the extra space adjusting thickness/how many with the load but always making sure there is still good compression. The fiber cushion wads from here are the ones I use. http://www.circlefly.com/html/products.html
You can split them into thinner pieces with a razor blade very easily or soak them in melted bullet lube. That little rifle would be awful fun with BP and some roundball loads. Have fun,

Eric
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I handled one of them in 22 Hornet, 45-70!!!! Actually they are a nice little rifle. Congrats.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would suggest a proven blackpowder gallery load:

15gr FFFg over a .457 plain lead round ball, seated all the way down on the powder (use a wooden dowel & a mallet), and just about any non-magnum primer.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

With a 300 gr. cast bullet and 13 gr. Trail Boss , the kid in the photo could shoot it all day and make nice little groups. It would be a fun bunny gun for head shots only.
A full field load and 400gr.+ bullets.....OUCH!!
It is a cute little rifle though.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I shot it with 50 gr. FG and a .458 dia. 310 cast. Two wads and a grease pee between. It shot good, slight kick, sparks, smoke and fun. It sure is nice to clean. I would have used less powder, but I hate to mess with my BP drop tube measure, it's set up for two drops of powder in my 45-110, if one drop works for this gun, that's handy.
I only shot five rounds at 30 yrds. , all the brass I had home. Good groupings, After I replace to the front blade site with a bead, it will be very accurate. Great gun for BP as it is so easy to clean.

Owen
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Man, I bet that little jewel is a treat to clean.

What's she weigh?

Cat
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

hightime wrote:I shot it with 50 gr. FG and a .458 dia. 310 cast. Two wads and a grease pee between. It shot good, slight kick, sparks, smoke and fun. It sure is nice to clean. I would have used less powder, but I hate to mess with my BP drop tube measure, it's set up for two drops of powder in my 45-110, if one drop works for this gun, that's handy.
I only shot five rounds at 30 yrds. , all the brass I had home. Good groupings, After I replace to the front blade site with a bead, it will be very accurate. Great gun for BP as it is so easy to clean.

Owen
Yes, make sure you have no air space when shooting BP, or you could end up with a 2 piece (or more!) rifle.

A 375 or 405 gr. cast with a light load of Bullseye or 2400 is a nice combo too. I think the Bullseye is a little harder to get consistent at such low charge density, though. I tried about 9 gr. with 375 cast and some cotton for filler, which did not work so great for that, I believe oats worked better, but it was a quiet little pop with the potential to pierce a deer fairly well at closer range.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

It only weighs 4 1/2 lbs. So no big loads for my shoulder. Thanks for advice on low power loads, I need it.

Yes, it sweet to clean. No lever in the way, did I say that here? Just a straight push from chamber to muzzle and out.

I'm not willing to shoot BP in my 1895 Cowboy.

Owen
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Man, that's light, sweet. I do like a light rifle.

The -70 is a very versatile caliber and light loads are fun as all get out in them.

Cat
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I just came in from testing. What a hoot! I ended the day shooting just 30 gr. of FG Goex with twelve cardboard wads and a 310 jacketed bullet. Still sounds good, light recoil, lots of smoke, hit right where aimed. In this picture, my grandson takes a turn.

I dropped the powder though a tube, do you think that's needed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

ht,

I'm no Holy Black expert but I believe that the purpose of the long drop tube is to get more in/pack it tightly. Don't know what you'd gain.

Looks like a very fun gun. I've always admired the rollers, never had one.

Cat
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I think you're right, it would make it easier without the tube. How about filler? I have read posts about it, but didn't listen too close, as I was only loading max loads for other guns. Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat? For these loads I used twelve wads, too much work.

Owen
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I'd use Cream of Wheat. I've used it before in fire-forming 38-55 from 30-30 brass. It meters very well just a little dusty but I ran it through one of my powder measures like it was powder. Quick and easy.

I don't know about reduced loads with Black. I have seen a load in an old Lyman reloading manual that was five grains of FFG under the collar button bullet (457130) but nothing was mentioned about using a filler.

I do know that small charges of pistol powder work very well in the 45-70. And no need for fillers. It's the slow burning rifle powders you don't want really reduced charges.

You're making me want one of those little beauties dang it! :)

Cat
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Thanks for the tip. My advice; get one. The thing is different than all my other stuff. I mostly have levers, Sharps, etc. This thing is so light and easy to clean, quick to load, easy to carry, looks harmless, but I'll bet I could get a deer with it at fifty or less. I think that will be my goal this year. Most of my guns I shoot, I work at loads and accuracy, and that will come, But right now I'm just plinking at cans and stuff. I'm having a little different relationship with this bugger.

Owen
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Of course if (yea right) I follow your advice then I'm gonna want one in 30-30 too you know. :)

Cat
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Another day at the range. Yeah, it's still fun. A slight correction at the 50 yard target, then out to 100. drilled it! Three inch groups with a dead on sighting, not 6 o'clock. the 6 o'clock works good at fifty. I think that's good for me and good enough to hunt deer, at least at 50 to 75 yards. I'm still using wads as filler, but now I'll get the Cream of Wheat. The little gun gets a lot of attention.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

HighTime: RE. – shooting Black powder and jacketed bullets.

A few years ago on the Shiloh-Sharps board there was such a thread. Kirk B., owner of Shiloh-Sharps- stated that a M1874 was returned to be re-barreled. Original barrel was severely pitted. He then bandsawed it in half and found even more pitting and corrosion. Kirk said the owner shot black powder and jacketed bullets. Bottom line was that copper fouling accumulated on top of the Black Powder fouling. As a result, the unremoved copper fouling “sealed in” the Black Powder fouling, starting the pitting and corrosion. Kirk said that even though the bore looks clean it may not be -- use a copper fouling remover, then clean the BP fouling, again clean with a copper fouling remover and then finally once again clean for any remaining Black Powder fouling.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I have a BRB in .357 and love it with grizzly loads.
you guys like photos, right?
my daughter shoots it with cowboy loads
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Thanks Ray, I'll keep her clean and get back to casting as soon as I get a mold.

Bulldog, that's a cool picture. That gun sure look good with the old design scope. Which one is it?

Owen
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Hey Owen,
It's the 3X Malcolm.
But I recommend using parallel barrel-tap mounts instead of the dovetail and receiver mounts I used
Image Image
It took me awhile to work out the bugs, and the final answer was a custom-made receiver block to the exact correct height.
(works great now, though)

and it's still on 5-1/2 lbs. Wonderful little brush gun.

Regards,
Ron Mc
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Sweet! I wonder if I could get a small set p for my small roller.

Owen