My weekly offhand practice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

My weekly offhand practice

Post by carbluesnake »

Last weekend I did a little offhand shooting from sitting. At 50 yds, with my 22 CZ, I did better than I really can do and shot a .7 inch group, 5 shots, all cutting the same hole. The next group from sitting was 4 shots in .6 inch with the 5th shot making a 1 1/8 inch group. I was very pleased. I shot my .308 Rem. 40X from sitting at 100 yards to check the zero with a 3 shot group and it measured right at 3/4 inch. I then shot a 3 shot group from the bipod and it went into .8 inch with no change in its zero. We went out to 235 yards and shot down 3 plates from sitting with 3 shots. Three up, and three down. The plates measure 14 inches in height and 8 inches diameter at the top narrowing to about 4" at the bottom of the plate. I was very happy.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My weekly offhand practice

Post by jnyork »

Sounds like you had a good time and did some fine shooting.

Just so you know, the term "offhand" refers to shooting from the standing position with no artificial support.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I appreciate the tip. When everyone shot position, that was understood. Today, with so many bipods and sandbags being used, I don't know if many shooters, those on this blog excepted, know that real shooting is without bipods and rests.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

sounds like you had some fun & really put them in there!
I rang some steel yesterday off hand shooting & also got a sore shoulder out of it
this getting old sucks

ollogger
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I just got a Brno#2 and boy is it accurate!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

carbluesnake wrote:I don't know if many shooters, those on this blog excepted, know that real shooting is without bipods and rests.
Real shooting is dealing with the situation that presents itself while using every advantage possible.

Real shooting is off-hand standing, standing rested, sitting rested or unrested, prone rested or unrested.

Real shooting is shooting unsupported, or from a bipod, or shooting sticks, or from a log or a pack frame, or the side of a tree or a wall or a camera tripod or sandbags or monopods or the top of a vehicle.

Real shooting is standing on your toes on top of a HMMWV to aim over a wall or standing on someone's back to shoot through a high window or taking a rest on your buddies back or shoulder.

Real shooting is fast and close while standing with an M4 carbine and slow and deliberate while sitting with a Sharps and shooting sticks. It is around corners and through hallways with a pistol and it is from a bench with a bright-coloured benchrest rifle.

Real shooting is with a flintlock and period clothing and it is with an M2 machine gun on a tripod with a T&E and it is with an M240 from the top of a vehicle and it is with a single-shot .22 in the backyard with your 5-year old.

I think I know what you mean, but let's be careful not to sound elitist about it. Real shooting is about having the skill to be flexible.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

carbluesnake, that's pretty good shootin'.
I know what you mean about real shooting, I used to smile at the range watching guys with every do dah under the sun, congratulating themselves on getting a half decent group when there were others just shooting with a gun and ammo.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If there's no pho-tos, it didn't happen.

:wink:

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

7.62, you are right. There is no pride in doing only one thing well and condemning others for not doing your thing as good as you. You know what I mean. I do believe if you get confident in your shooting without a rest, it will only increase your confidence when you pull those sticks out, or use that bipod, or take a rest off a tree or an overturned humvee. That was my point. Real shooting is making the shot, regardless if you 'cheat' or not. I appreciate the exhortation. There is no discipline that is better than another. Regarding the comment, if there is no photo, it didn't happen. I am not very tech savvy, but when I can get a photo on the blog, I will. You would still have to take my word for it regarding range and if it was done with a rest or not. I do believe the tree still makes a sound when it falls, even if there is no one to hear it.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

carbluesnake wrote:Regarding the comment, if there is no photo, it didn't happen. I am not very tech savvy, but when I can get a photo on the blog, I will. You would still have to take my word for it regarding range and if it was done with a rest or not. I do believe the tree still makes a sound when it falls, even if there is no one to hear it.
I am more likely to take most of you at your word on this forum, than on some forums that are filled with chest-thumping basement-dwellers that punch holes in their targets with pencils.

My wife says I am too willing to try to see the best in people, but like you said, at the end of the day, you know what you are and are not capable of, and that is what counts. I try to always give the benefit of the doubt until people prove themselves untrustworthy, and even then, it is rarely me that gets hurt - it is the other guy that has to live with his lie.

I get called a liar almost daily, doing some of the stuff I am involved with, and usually by people I know right off are completely ignorant and unskilled with firearms. It is frustrating, but in the end, I know that I was right, and that is all that counts.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I will get someone to help me get these 2 50 yd targets on the blog. Its not so much bragging but what is possible for anyone to do if they apply themselves.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

7.62 Precision wrote:
carbluesnake wrote:Regarding the comment, if there is no photo, it didn't happen. I am not very tech savvy, but when I can get a photo on the blog, I will. You would still have to take my word for it regarding range and if it was done with a rest or not. I do believe the tree still makes a sound when it falls, even if there is no one to hear it.
I am more likely to take most of you at your word on this forum, than on some forums that are filled with chest-thumping basement-dwellers that punch holes in their targets with pencils.

My wife says I am too willing to try to see the best in people, but like you said, at the end of the day, you know what you are and are not capable of, and that is what counts. I try to always give the benefit of the doubt until people prove themselves untrustworthy, and even then, it is rarely me that gets hurt - it is the other guy that has to live with his lie.

I get called a liar almost daily, doing some of the stuff I am involved with, and usually by people I know right off are completely ignorant and unskilled with firearms. It is frustrating, but in the end, I know that I was right, and that is all that counts.
+1. But then, I don't make such claims daily! :P :P Just had to poke ya in the ribs a little!!! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

7.62 Precision wrote:
carbluesnake wrote: , than on some forums that are filled with chest-thumping basement-dwellers that punch holes in their targets with pencils.

Best description I have heard. Sure glad there are none of those on this board. :wink:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Griff wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:
carbluesnake wrote: I get called a liar almost daily, doing some of the stuff I am involved with, and usually by people I know right off are completely ignorant and unskilled with firearms.
+1. But then, I don't make such claims daily! :P :P Just had to poke ya in the ribs a little!!! :lol:
:D In my case, it has to do with helping people work through a perceived or real problem, or dealing with people publishing attacks against a product that are undeserved. Very often the reason is because the person is unskilled or does not understand the proper use of the product or firearm, has a firearm that is out of spec or assembled incorrectly or has substandard parts, has a firearm that is improperly lubed, is using substandard ammo, has buyer's remorse and wants a refund on a used item, bought a product with the intent of using it, playing with it, and then returning it, and is claiming issues to justify the refund, or is just flat-out lying about the product for some reason.

None want to hear that they are not using the product/firearm correctly, or did not lube the weapon correctly, or that their firearms or ammo are substandard.

I have taken to running a video camera when testing items for the problems claimed by customers or reviewers, since it defends me against being called a liar. I won't stand for a product I don't believe in, and I will be honest about pros and cons, so it is especially frustrating for me when people accuse me of lying to sell or help another company sell a product.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

7.62, Your responses and opinions on this forum are invariably well thought out, clear and succinct, and I have not found you to have an axe to grind. You are additionally well educated, and don't get easily exited, speaking to others in a gentlemanly manner. You obviously have a wide range of expertise in many gun related areas, and have been a welcome addition to this place.
Anyone calling you a liar I would suspect immediately as having a personal agenda of some kind. I for one am glad you found your way here.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

octagon wrote:I for one am glad you found your way here.
There are two reasons I am here: I like leverguns above other guns, and I can come here and learn from knowledgeable, laid-back, normal people, they type that if you came to my house, my wife would say, "We need to have them over again."

It is a welcome break from the work I do with social media, marketing, reviewers, other forums, etc.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Photos are up on my shooting under the title "Photos of my Shooting".