Ideas wellcome on a 357 mag. test gun........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Ideas wellcome on a 357 mag. test gun........

Post by hightime »

I'm not sure quite what I want. Of course I like levers. I could get a '92 in what, three brands? Armi, Rossi, and Winchester. Or maybe a single shot. I like the idea or a small roller, but as of right now, I can't seem to find one. I might carry it though the woods once and a while too, so I'd like to keep it under eight pounds if possible. Right now I'm loading 357 Mag. for my pistol and want a companion to it in a rifle. I already have a 1873 in a 45 Colt, if nothing else I might just have to get a '73 Uberti. I'll be keeping an eye out for a 1894 Cowboy Marlin too.

Thanks for any input, Owen
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Ideas wellcome on a 357 mag. test gun........

Post by Old Ironsights »

There's no "bad" choice in a modern .357 carbine/short rifle.

I chose a 20" stainless Rossi 92. But all have a solid place.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like Marlin's few-large-part design best.

For something different consider Ruger's little bolt action. Same size as their 77/22.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

If you could find one a IMI Timberwolf might be appealing to you. It is a pump action based on a scaled down Remington 870 style action.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

The Ruger 77/357 is pretty light. There is also a Ruger #1A in 357mag.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I think Henry makes a pump version also! But the Ruger 77-357 looks sweet.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a Miroku 1885 in 45Colt, 24" ½-round/octagon that really just as a my 20" 1892. If it came in a .357 it would be a "keeper" also.

My next levergun is very likely to be a Cimarron "Texas Brush Popper". 20" ½-round/octagon w/pistol grip stock.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

If it were me and I had the money I d find a Ruger no 3 and have it rebarreled to 357maxim or 357mag.I have a no 3 in 44mag and love it, it is a dream to carry in the woods plus the no 3 has a very strong action if you go the handload route.I believe if ruger had of brought the no 3 in 357mag,along with some other cals like 22lr etc it would still in production
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

barbarossa wrote:If it were me and I had the money I d find a Ruger no 3 and have it rebarreled to 357maxim or 357mag.I have a no 3 in 44mag and love it, it is a dream to carry in the woods plus the no 3 has a very strong action if you go the handload route.I believe if ruger had of brought the no 3 in 357mag,along with some other cals like 22lr etc it would still in production
Good points.

Wouldn't a No.3 in 17 Hornet, or 25-35, or 32-20, or 357 Max, or 35 Remington, or 480 Ruger (or 475 Linebaugh) be cool...! There are just some cartridges that are perfect for a single-shot.

I presume the No.3's were "too costly to produce" profitably vs. the other guns they sell, and in a high-volume facility, but perhaps they could just produce the receivers and un-chambered barrels so custom gunsmiths could finish them up.

E.A. Brown's "97-D" rifles are functionally similar (small-frame falling-block) and are apparently very accurate (never shot one but talked to some owners of them at a suppressor shoot), but are very pricey and don't have the "famous name" factor. http://www.eabco.com/Brown97DRifle.htm. Here's a guy picking off aspirin tablets with one at 50 yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 7z2gXKr_iM

Anyway, back to the thread topic.... :oops: ....I still like the Ruger 77/357 idea, but if it is to be a lever (and I like levers best), if I could only have one levergun it would be a Marlin, due to the few and heavy parts-count, and the ease of scope/receiver sight mounting. On the other hand, the Rossi's are SLICK and the little 16" Rossi 357 I have makes my Marlin 357 seem like a heavy battle rifle in comparison, even though the Marlin 357 is petite compared to the regular 1894 Marlin or a Winchester 94.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the Henry but it is kind of heavy.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Some ideas I hadn't thought about. I better go looking.

Owen
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I like the early to mid-80's (IIRC) Marlin 1894 with the gold trigger and 18.5" barrel (no safety). Sorry I sold mine some years ago. They are tough to find.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

don't forget the winchester 94 ranger, a trapper size carbine. mine is dead-deer accurate to 100 yards with everything I've tried in it.

Grizz