Your Marlin just got a little bit more special.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Your Marlin just got a little bit more special.

Post by Panzercat »

Not that I'm a huge fan of Truth About Guns for a variety of reasons, but occasionally some nuggets emerge from the flotsam... For example, lever gun news. More specifically,the fall of Marlin and some of the details about how such a venerable brand name was gutted. Personally, this was my favorite part--
Compounding the difficulties, Remington discovered dimensioned drawings of Marlin’s iconic rifles did not exist. The plans at North Haven had simply been passed down through the generations. Many of these workers hadn’t made the move to Ilion, so much of that inherent knowledge had been lost...
My eyeballs all but rolled out of my skull upon reading this. Effectively, Remington axed the very workforce with the skills absolutely vital to the success of the brand. It's kind of karmatic justice and further contributed to the horrible product quality remlins are now infamous for. Further, your JM marlin just got a little bit more special. There were no designs on file or computerized schmatics churning out clones of one another. Your marlin is essentially an artesian product whose skill and know-how were passed through the generations. Perhaps that's overstating it a bit, but not by very much.

Even if Remington gets their marlin production under control as the story promises, there will never be another Marlin like that again.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Your Marlin just got a little bit more special.

Post by Buck Elliott »

Given modern, digital CMMs (Coordinate Measuring Machines), reverse engineering of Marlin's relatively simple mechanics should have been a breeze.. look at other manufacturers who have cloned Marlins in recent years..

Aldo Uberti and the boys were reverse engineering Colts, Remingtons and Winchesters more than 50 years ago, and built a hugely successful enterprise on their relatively rude efforts..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Buck Elliott wrote:Given modern, digital CMMs (Coordinate Measuring Machines), reverse engineering of Marlin's relatively simple mechanics should have been a breeze.. look at other manufacturers who have cloned Marlins in recent years.
That's in the article as well ;)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If Remlin isn't going to step up to the plate, it would be nice if someone DID clone them. It seems like they should cost LESS to make vs. the Winchester 92 clones, with their few-large-parts design, and so many parts shared between calibers. I wonder if Rossi/Taurus has considered it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Maybe I should not have given that .44 Mag away, it was a pre-crossbolt safety model.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

"Many of these workers hadn’t made the move to Ilion".. :shock: ...The way I understood it from some of the Former employee's over at Marlin Owners, None of them were offered or Hired to go to Remlin. then to compound everything else they ship pieces of junk that should have never left the factory to begin with....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When was that article dated? FWIW, Remington didn't axe Marlin's employees, Marlin did that when the owners sold out! Remington offered 'em jobs. People don't accept them for a variety of reasons.

As for dimensional drawings, Winchester (USRA or FN), there were none for those rifles either. Miroku had to reverse engineer all the models they've reproduced.

Frankly, IMO, Marlin is the "badguy" here, props to Remington for trying to salvage something regarding the leverguns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Griff wrote:When was that article dated? FWIW, Remington didn't axe Marlin's employees, Marlin did that when the owners sold out! Marlin is the "badguy" here, props to Remington for trying to salvage something regarding the leverguns.
I don't think it's as clear cut as you think it is.

And wait... Marlin is the bad guy? Nobody twisted Remington's arm to move everything out of state, costing those people their jobs. How is the original owner at fault here? He can't decide it's time to get out of the business now? I mean, he found a buyer, what more do you want? I'll even throw you a bone and say that maybe he could have negotiated a severance package out of Remington for everybody who couldn't just pack up and move, but even that's a stretch.

Now you're reminding me of my previous job with the airlines. "We're moving our operation out of state, but you can move to our HQ in Chicago and absorb the higher cost of living at the same pay. Aren't we generous?"

Gee, thanks for that.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm a Marlin fan but... the old days of Marlin were not necessarily all perfection: that's why you'll find detailed directions for fixing "Marlin jam #1 and Marlin jam #2". I don't think Marlin ever test fired the products of their individualized production to make sure they fed and fired -- at least from 1950 onward. I'm saying that because one of the "Marlin jam #1" problems I fixed was on a 1950 model 336A which should not have left the factory. The other "fix" was the identical problem on a 1986 model 336RC: shouldn't have left the factory. And my model 1895 built in about 2002 couldn't even begin to chamber a round because of a totally misshaped extractor that wouldn't get past the rim when chambering. Also shouldn't have left the factory.

If Remington gets their act together I am ready to buy...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"I'm a Marlin fan but... the old days of Marlin were not necessarily all perfection...."
--earlmck

BINGO!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

America West?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Maybe I should not have given that .44 Mag away, it was a pre-crossbolt safety model.
I sold one not long ago for $450 -- some would say that was giving it away too :oops: :oops: -- I never really did take a shine to it though
----- Doug
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

earlmck wrote:If Remington gets their act together I am ready to buy...
And don't get me wrong-- No manufacturer is without sin.
Besides, I would be right in line with you if they were to start producing pistol calibers again.

@ Mescalero
United.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I still have a stainless, laminate stocks, 1895 .45-70.
Think I will keeep it.