saying goodbye to a friend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

saying goodbye to a friend

Post by wvfarrier »

I raise black guinea hogs. Get foragers and pleasant personalities. Made the mistake I buying a blue butt to cross them with. He was a moron. Could not keep him contained. He met his maker today. 9 months old and around 250 pounds with excellent marbling.
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww12 ... ccp8f3.jpg
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: saying goodbye to a friend

Post by ollogger »

Looks like the patience ran out just at the right time

ENJOY

ollogger
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I guessing he'll become an honored "guest" at your home for many meals throughout 2014.:P
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

You betcha. What a chore it is though. Scalding and scraping. Ugh. I have to admit that I got a little choked up. I liked the little bugger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yep,
some good roasts there.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I ain't trying to say anything here, but it's not unusual for folks with very similar personality traits to get along very well, and it's not unusual for them to bump heads neither.

I guess ol' Blue jes bumped yer sensibility one too many times.

So long, old pal...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I understand that feeling. Sometimes it's tough butchering an animal off your place and think about making meals from from it. That feeling passes pretty quickly when you later sit down at the dinner table, however.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I don't know if I should say Sorry, or Congratulations :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I just got a new recipe for carnitas today, and will be serving it for breakfast in the A.M.

Always wanted to process a domesticated pig, I have only worked wild ones. Nice photo.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know what you mean; different butchering a deer from 'the woods', vs an animal you've raised.

Still, my humorous nature would say "May he rest in peas. . ."
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I was more attracted to your Kubota. (I'm a toy kind of guy) What model? Looks like my 7800.-------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Many years ago my sister's hubby bought a calf to raise for the freezer. Of course my sis had to make it a pet. When it was grown hubby hauled it off to be butchered, without telling sis! Bad thing! The fighting went on for some time. I just happened to stop by to visit a few days later, and ended up with 2 grocery bags full of fresh beef! Yummy! Sis would not fix it or eat it. I thought it was great!
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I havent scalded and scraped a hog in a long time I just skin them like I do beef, nothing better than grinding up some pig adding your favorite spices making up some breakfast sausage :D . danny
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Well, I guess I'd say goodbye friend, hello pork chops!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Really? You skin them?
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I used to dread killing day for a week but always liked the pork and sausage. While I was raised to scrape hogs I had one neighbor who skinned and one who did it the old polish way, piling straw over the carcass and lighting it. After it burned off they scraped the hog with knives and got a nice golden brown pig.
Its been a few years since I raised any, I stopped when all the kids left home but I may raise a single this year. I need to make sure the tractor is running first to get it in the hot water by myself.
My Dad once killed, scraped and split 19 hogs in a day with only one helper, that's when men were men :D
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Yep it goes quick thatway got tired of heating up a metal tank and dipping them. I just peel them cool them down then run them in the cooler some roasts chops rest goes to sausage and smokies. danny
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

BigSky56 wrote:Yep it goes quick thatway got tired of heating up a metal tank and dipping them. I just peel them cool them down then run them in the cooler some roasts chops rest goes to sausage and smokies. danny
What, No hams?, Man, nothing better from a hog than a home smoked ham, in my opinion.
So, you dress them, peel the hide, let the carcass cool and put them in the cooler. Sounds easier than the way I did it years ago. Man all I remember was a greasy mess and hours of processing.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I make all the roasts I can from the hind quarters some chops, I'd rather have breakfast sausage. It doesnt take long to have them hanging up. I remember my grandparents and family doing the scald and scrape job then the rendering of the lard and the hams in the smokehouse good days that are gone but the memories are there. danny