active shooter course completed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

active shooter course completed

Post by carbluesnake »

Completed the active shooter course today. This was not a course about shooting, but but about tactics and mindset layered with shooting. When you take this course, you should already be able to shoot. Lots of partial head shots at close range, and targets out to 65 yards, i.e. a school hallway. If I had to summarize this course, it would be 'stop the threat, treat the wounded starting with yourself if you need it, and communication with the good guys that have been notified by 911.' Most people probably don't think much about the arriving calvary, but they are keyed on locating a threat. You may be a good guy, but it is too easy to be mistaken as a bad guy by the good guys. Did you ever think about a less than up to speed CHL holder coming to the rescue after you have taken care of business, and you still have a gun in your hand? Good guys can be killed by other good guys. In essence, a very good course if you are serious about self defense. Paul Howe gets a gold star for training the good guys!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: active shooter course completed

Post by Griff »

Aye, that staying in touch with the calvary is important if you don't want 'em to shoot you! Congrats.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Was this a local active shooter course or national NRA (or traveling) course? Sounds like a very good one to take. Thanks
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

This is a course given, designed, and taught by Paul Howe at his facility in Nacogdoches, Texas. If you have seen Blackhawk Down, then you have seen an actor playing Paul Howe. Google him for his bio and credentials. He teaches mostly military and LE, but does some work with civilians. He knows what works and teaches that. No screenplay bravado or dojo ballerina stuff. Most people who take his courses get info from people who have taken the course. Also, google CSAT for info on his first rate facility.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

This interests me much. And he's close. How many rounds? How many days? When'sthe next one? - Brian
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Google CSAT and there you will find his e-mail address. E-mail him and he should get back to you within 48 hours. He says the course needs 400 rds., but it will probably not be that many. You will need to complete another defensive course from a known instructor. He also teaches a level 1 tactical pistol course. It is VERY good, and will improve your shooting ability no matter what your skill level is. Let me know how it goes.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Doing these classes is my idea of a vacation. I've done classes with Ayoob, Farnam, Snarcy & the Gnome (God rest him), Andy Stafford, and Bob Taylor. That and I'm off to RangeMasters for the Tactical Conference the end of the month.
This is how Brian likes to get off the porch!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

my LE Agency does a re-fresher Active-Shooter every year...have done it 6 times, good training...I think everyone who has a CCW should do a similar course, especially with the schools, malls, churches, and other open public spaces that attract a certain type of dirt-bag... :)
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I've taken several of these courses over the years (most before we called it active shooter) and the training is irreplaceable. Good job
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus