Rethinking some advice I gave on here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Rethinking some advice I gave on here

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

Had a fellow member pm me and ask about my Coal Stoker I recently bought. He was thinking of getting same one?
Needed advice fast cause they were going to throw in free ton of coal if bought by end of Jan. We have discussed it since this post.
Though mine is working fine at this point, I am looking into a person who owns a shop that has had two that had numerous problems?
Maybe it is just the ones he bought? These were bought about 10 years ago and ended up selling both on EBay for about 20% of what he paid for them new.

Bottom line,

Sometimes we act before we think. myself it seems lately its been more than just the stove?
So, with that said, What I would recommend would be not what I got.
It would be a stove that could run BOTH wood and coal. It would be a unit that can run without ANY electric. It would have as few moving parts as possible preventing unusable stove until fixed deal.
I like the idea of no moving parts. Add wood/coal close door and throw out ashes. That is it.
Suppose a wood/coal furnace with runs ,ducts etc. would suffice PROVIDING it still would heat having blower not working. I mean a medium fire using gravity heated air providing some heat? My Newmac has a separate blower,return air chamber unit and manual says can be used when no electric is available by opening door to blower chamber and running only low-medium fire.

Just had to keep it honest and if I could switch today, I would!
Also use regular chimney and not an electric required direct/power vent system.
Also with what is going on with the budget getting a 4 billion dollar cut to fossil fuel products, with the coal who knows?
Having wood option would be wise move!

Here was the guy I talked to about my stove? Is out of Pa and stuff built by Amish in Lancaster, Pa
Check out the Kozy King! Around $2K plus $100 shipped to here ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55kuFamGIhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2OT-uDf ... 1BWcaZWONg
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Rethinking some advice I gave on here

Post by 7.62 Precision »

madman4570 wrote: It would be a unit that can run without ANY electric. It would have as few moving parts as possible preventing unusable stove until fixed deal.
This is very good advice. I can't believe all of the homes near the Anchorage area that have no way to heat if the electric is out.

The big fad up here (outside of Anchorage, but not in the bush) is systems with an outdoor wood-burning furnace that uses water to heat the home. This means water pipes running through that walls and floors and poured into the slab. If the power goes out, the furnace automatically shuts don the fire. If the power is out for any length of time, it means frozen pipes in walls and floors and in concrete slabs. Doesn't seem smart to me.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Rat (expletive deleted)s in the Puget Sound area have made it near impossible to run wood or coal no matter what the technology. I don't have central heat furnace in my old double wide, but, I have a nice cast iron/porcelain Waterford free standing propane logs, and a Kero-Sun backup for that. I have a couple other electric space heaters at places I spend time. Between gasoline, diesel, and heating your home, the government wants to keep us peasants broke and beholden to them :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

BlaineG wrote:The Rat (expletive deleted)s in the Puget Sound area have made it near impossible to run wood or coal no matter what the technology. I don't have central heat furnace in my old double wide, but, I have a nice cast iron/porcelain Waterford free standing propane logs, and a Kero-Sun backup for that. I have a couple other electric space heaters at places I spend time. Between gasoline, diesel, and heating your home, the government wants to keep us peasants broke and beholden to them :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yeah, the new law down in Anchorage is that no new structures can be built having any kind of wood-burning heat capability, a stove or fireplace cannot be added to an existing home that does not have one, and if a home is extensively remodeled, etc., wood stoves or fireplaces have to be removed. Basically, they are restricted to certain types of natural gas furnaces or electric heat - both require electricity.

This is in a city where FEMA and the state of Alaska say that in the event of a large earthquake, everyone should be prepared to supply their own food, water, heat, and medical care for a minimum of 14 days.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

7.62 Precision wrote:
BlaineG wrote:The Rat (expletive deleted)s in the Puget Sound area have made it near impossible to run wood or coal no matter what the technology. I don't have central heat furnace in my old double wide, but, I have a nice cast iron/porcelain Waterford free standing propane logs, and a Kero-Sun backup for that. I have a couple other electric space heaters at places I spend time. Between gasoline, diesel, and heating your home, the government wants to keep us peasants broke and beholden to them :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yeah, the new law down in Anchorage is that no new structures can be built having any kind of wood-burning heat capability, a stove or fireplace cannot be added to an existing home that does not have one, and if a home is extensively remodeled, etc., wood stoves or fireplaces have to be removed. Basically, they are restricted to certain types of natural gas furnaces or electric heat - both require electricity.

This is in a city where FEMA and the state of Alaska say that in the event of a large earthquake, everyone should be prepared to supply their own food, water, heat, and medical care for a minimum of 14 days.
EPA is being looked at by SCOTUS presently. Is it not clear that they are abusing their power?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

BlaineG wrote:EPA is being looked at by SCOTUS presently. Is it not clear that they are abusing their power?
Have you ever been to, say, Taiwan? Bejing? Mexico City? Los Angeles circa 1970? Phoenix about the same time? Etc etc. Do you think you have a right to reasonably clean air?

Isn't this thread in the wrong forum anyway?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

7.62 Precision wrote: ... the new law down in Anchorage is that no new structures can be built having any kind of wood-burning heat capability, a stove or fireplace cannot be added to an existing home that does not have one, and if a home is extensively remodeled, etc., wood stoves or fireplaces have to be removed. Basically, they are restricted to certain types of natural gas furnaces or electric heat - both require electricity.
That is insane! Laws like that just set entire populations up to be an accident waiting to happen when the power/gas supply stops.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Larry

As far as advice on the internet goes, there is a saying that goes ---

"internet advice is worth what you pay for it"

Personally, I think this particular board is a Big exception --this is a collective braintrust of (mostly) guys that have BTDT and seem to be mostly solid individuals.
You gave advice based on the resources , materials and experiences you had up to that point when you gave it ----not a lot wrong with that

-- as a homeowner myself, I might ask a few questions of the collective braintrust too on occasion to get advice on something or other --- but when it comes to a large component of a heating system, -- most of us here are likely going to seek out some Q&A's from some heating & air websites as well, or even call a contractor or two before jumping in with both feet

If I get advice on here, it will be a small piece of the pie compared to what I've already read up on myself --- here, we get validation from other guys who somewhat share similar thoughts on a lot of things :)

And if its any consolation, maybe the person with the shop has stove's equivalent to MArlins from 2 years ago , and perhaps in the meantime the company has worked progressively towards better QC , reliability and performance -- but regardless, if its something that has a known fix, maybe its better knowing that going in for anything so you can prepare with having replacement parts on hand if something goes down

(except for leverguns -- this board is really my only resource for that though -- and I have jumped in with both feet on both levergun and handgun purchases solely based on reading the board here)
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:
BlaineG wrote:EPA is being looked at by SCOTUS presently. Is it not clear that they are abusing their power?
Have you ever been to, say, Taiwan? Bejing? Mexico City? Los Angeles circa 1970? Phoenix about the same time? Etc etc. Do you think you have a right to reasonably clean air?

Isn't this thread in the wrong forum anyway?
Call the Waaabulance. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Heaters???? In S. Cal I heat my house by turning off the AC! :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

jkbrea wrote:Heaters???? In S. Cal I heat my house by turning off the AC! :wink:
Well here in the SFV it can get a little nippy; 38-39 some nights. I turned off the pilot light for the gas heater because the pilots eat $25 a month. My gas bill is now $6.00 a month, mostly taxes.

What I do on chilly nights (in fact I just did it) is run a hot bath and leave the bathroom door open. This heats the apartment about 2 degrees and humidifies the place. It lasts for hours, is very gentle warmth, and I can take a bath once it cools down. And - the landlord pays.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."