Sporting clays shotgun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Sporting clays shotgun?

Post by rjohns94 »

Your thoughts? Over under? Semi-auto? Brand? Features? Thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Sporting clays shotgun?

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
I thought you said just last week your done buying guns. :D ----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just use my Skeet barrel on my 870. I've used an over/under and an auto when I've been out of state and don't have my gun... prefer my 870, since I'm used to it.
Sixgun wrote:Mike,
I thought you said just last week your done buying guns. :D ----6
Reminders like this are just so... gauche!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Not buying. Just asking. Charity event. Trying to determine which shotgun to borrow for the event.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Last round of Sporting Clays I shot I used my old Westley Richards 12 bore boxlock side by side . I've also used a nice old Remington 32 I had that was bored skeet and skeet .

Last time I went and took the Westley , my firned who passed this year was carrying a Winchester Model 12 Deluxe Field of about 1955 vintage with an PolyChoke on the end . My other friend was carrying some kind of older Spanish side by side sidelock gun .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I am back in touch with some of my old skeet and trap shooting buddies . And we plan on shooting Sporting in January after hunting season . I suspect for that trip I'll either shoot a circa 1930 Utica AH Fox A grade 16 gauge thats IC/M or a Philly Sterlingworth 20 gauge thats also IC/M .

I would love to take my old LC Smith Quality 2 10 gauge that was made in 1890 and choked M/M but the place we're going is zoned for nothing larger then 12 gauge . Which I think is kinda BS but I'm not on the board of supervisors in that county !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was not seriously doing Sporting Clays, but, I used my Baikal 12 SxS with a set of chokes....I didn't get the worst score even though I was the new guy.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My sporting clay observations...
As you know I'm a big fan of SxS's and what I use.
That said, sporting clays is a sport where a good semi seems to rule.
The Browning Citori is popular as well as the BPS pump action.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mike,
You're more than welcome to borrow my
lightning if you like. I have all the choke tubes for it.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

rjohns94 wrote:Your thoughts? Over under? Semi-auto? Brand? Features? Thanks
Brand is highly subjective, but the type would depend upon what kind of shotgun you're familiar and comfortable with.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:My sporting clay observations...
As you know I'm a big fan of SxS's and what I use.
That said, sporting clays is a sport where a good semi seems to rule.
The Browning Citori is popular as well as the BPS pump action.
Repeat after me , " I will only shoot Brownings that were made in Belgium" :lol:
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Benell ... =100326997

this is the one I bought last summer and I love it shoots hard and strait

^
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

it depends...
if the second shot at a particular stand is going to be very long...then over and under...
if all the shots are around the same distance...then semi auto

we had one range master way back when....who would set up crossing shots
where the second target would get way out there...and everbody would change the second choke
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike,

Am certainly no expert on shooting skeet or clays for sure.
The guys that live for that at our club most shoot Browning O/U's
But like some said on here a Remington 1100 or even a 870 can do as the others they posted.

My wife has a Remington LT1100 20ga Skeet
That gun is so far above my ability that it shows at our place to be about perfect.
When I can grab it from her! :D

Good luck with whatever you come up with. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks for the replys so far. I shot skeet for a few years with an 870 then graduated to over unders. Then I fell in love with SXS and it's been hard to get away from those. Of the semis I have owned, browning, berretta, benelli, Remington's have been through my hands. Browning maxus and benelli are available to me as well as a berretta. I may just use my Maxus since that is my bird gun I was thinking that I would buy a shotgun for the shoot and at the shoot, raffle off the shotgun to go to the charity, but perhaps a direct contribution would be best for the charity. Not sure yet. That's why I was asking what they are using on the sporting clays courses since I don't normally participate.
Mike Johnson,

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Just my thoughts, BUT, sporting clays was invented to improve your gun handling skills for hunting.
In that regard, one should shoot their field gun that they hunt with.
Now it has changed to a competition much like trap and skeet where the sky is the limit on equipment and the guns used in the sport never get into the game fields.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

rjohns94 wrote:Thanks for the replys so far. I shot skeet for a few years with an 870 then graduated to over unders. Then I fell in love with SXS and it's been head to get away from those. Of the semis I have owned, browning, berretta, benelli, Remington's have been through my hands. Browning maxus and benelli are available to me as well as a berretta. I may just use my Maxus since that is my bird gun I was thinking that I would buy a shotgun for the shoot and at the shoot raffle off the shotgun to go to the charity, but perhaps a direct contribution would be best for the charity. Not sure yet. That's why I was asking what they are using on the sporting clays courses since I don't normally participate.
don't overlook this model
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/UplandSterling/
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Be a rebel. Borrow an old pump with a poly-choke, or even (heaven forbid) a Cutts Compensator.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Any gun you have that shoots where you look and will reliably deliver a quick second shot.

I like my SX2 and Citori equally, but usually shoot one better than the other on any given day.

Main things are don't lift your head to see the hit (you won't), and keep your gun moving. Two biggest mistakes I see, and do.

Post by Marvin S »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Just my thoughts, BUT, sporting clays was invented to improve your gun handling skills for hunting.
In that regard, one should shoot their field gun that they hunt with.
Now it has changed to a competition much like trap and skeet where the sky is the limit on equipment and the guns used in the sport never get into the game fields.
What he said. I use either a winchester 23 20ga sxs or a mirokiu 12ga sxs.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Now it has changed to a competition much like trap and skeet where the sky is the limit on equipment and the guns used in the sport never get into the game fields.
While thats true for the most part it isn't 100% . When I shot competitively I used a Krieghoff 32 O/U that I had a set of 28" 12 gauge skeet barrels and Kolar sub gauge tubes . I also had a set of K-80 Un single barrel and a K-32 trap O/U barrels for trap doubles . The gun wore a monte carlo stock and it worked for both trap and skeet . What Sporting I did back then I also used the same gun . And I might add on occasion I used it for a dove shoot or two with the skeet barrels and the 20 gauge subgauge inserts inside . Only thing I had to do was pull the stock off and release the set screw that kept the safety locked off and I was ready to go to the dove fields .

For the uninformed almost all skeet and trap shooters lock their safety in the off position .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you borrow one and use it, you might just have to buy one for yourself. Just sayin'.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Took home a bronze medal in the Cornhusker State Games with a Ruger Red Label 28ga.
I also have used a Ruger Gold Label sxs, and I have used both a Citori Upland in 12ga and a Citori 16ga both, o/u's.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I think the choice of which shotgun to use for Sporting Clays would depend upon one's approach to the sport - as a competitive game, or as practice/skills-sharpening for the game fields.

IMO, a semi or O/U is best for competition; but would go with whatever's one favorite as a practice piece.