Factory Marlin sights.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Factory Marlin sights.

Post by m.wun »

Am I the only one who doesnt like the hooded front sights
on the factory Marlins....
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I always take the sight hoods off my rifles and keep them in my desk. If I ever sell them i put them back on.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

iceman wrote:I always take the sight hoods off my rifles and keep them in my desk. If I ever sell them i put them back on.
+!, removing the hood is the first thing I do.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Me too,
Got a bunch if anybody needs one. :lol:
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I hate the front ramp sites and hoods on any levergun more than I hate the darn cross-bolt safety.

That being said, I leave my front hood on for the 1957 39a and 1972 1894 because it actually makes the rifle look better than having just the front ramp and insert showing. (haven't done anything to these because they are just so accurate)

I've either sold or traded the other levers that have had them, or just removed the front ramp sight and filed in a dovetail for a post sight.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Yeah, I take mine off, too.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The hoods come off and the beads get filed down to a straight post.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

No hoods. They seem to disappear anyway. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

95fan wrote:
iceman wrote:I always take the sight hoods off my rifles and keep them in my desk. If I ever sell them i put them back on.
+!, removing the hood is the first thing I do.
+1 Dittos
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

With so many folks disliking the ramp sights with hoods, and the hoods by themselves I wonder what the factories thoughts were in putting them on.
I have to admit I much prefer the original SRC type front sight, or the dovetailed front, myself.
But even so when I have a fragile bead front sight I leave the hoods on.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:I have to admit I much prefer the original SRC type front sight, or the dovetailed front, myself.
Joe
Ditto
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
41_Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 41_Marlin »

I for one like the sight hoods. But then again I also like the safety, much quieter releasing the safety then cocking the trigger. Course I hunt up close in the deep south.

Ok Ok I'm freaky. But at least I'm freaky FOR Leverguns, particularly Marlins. :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I discard most, myself, to expose the sight face to direct light - but those with a fragile bead might consider either cutting/grinding a moon roof in the hood :mrgreen: , or cutting the hood to half it's length.

On some rifles, I temporarily re-install the hood while transporting the rifle to a distant, or out-of-state hunt - but it comes off upon arrival.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

I too like the hoods. I mounted Skinner sights on my 39A and 94. the front hood helps me by lining up the two circles. I put 15 rounds in an inch and a half at 50 yrds with the 39A...now if I could just get the squirels to stand still a little longer.

How about the hoods that have an open top with one of those fiber optic front beads, anyone try that set-up?
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Please send me all your take-off sight hoods! I'm making a necklace! :wink: :shock:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

I am a BIG fan of the front hood with the factory rear sight. Have this setup on my 444. great groups past 100 yards, and very fast target acquisition.
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[the front hood helps me by lining up the two circles. I put 15 rounds in an inch and a half at 50 yrds with the 39A...now if I could just get the squirels to stand still a little longer.]

Jeff - IMO you're hurting your hunting efforts by consiously trying to line up a peep sight with anything - never mind a sight hood that could be off-center in relation to the front bead.
That might work OK for stationary paper targets, but not usually for live game, where you should only look through the peep at the game * place the front sight on target (game's vital zone).

[How about the hoods that have an open top with one of those fiber optic front beads, anyone try that set-up?]

That was the "moon roof", I was referring to, in my earlier post - needed to illuminate a fiber optic bead that's blocked/covered by a hood.
A fiber optic needs to either go hoodless, or have an exposed area directly above the light rod, so it can gather enough ambient light to glow properly.

Other bead materials, like Ivory & Gold, also benefit from the top light, without any of the disadvantages associated with the side-lighting of a bead throwing off a shot.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Griff wrote:
J Miller wrote:I have to admit I much prefer the original SRC type front sight, or the dovetailed front, myself.
Joe
Ditto
I Ditto your Ditto.
ED
Yer never too old
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

gundownunder wrote:The hoods come off and the beads get filed down to a straight post.
+1
slowhandscotty
Levergunner

Post by slowhandscotty »

Leverdude wrote:Me too,
If you're serious I just lost one on a hunting trip and been looking to replace it. Let me know if you have one or two you want to get rid of. Thanks
-Scott
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

slowhandscotty wrote:
Leverdude wrote:Me too,
If you're serious I just lost one on a hunting trip and been looking to replace it. Let me know if you have one or two you want to get rid of. Thanks
Yeah! Me too, I want to try Pete44's moon roof idea
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein