M1A1 vs. Ruger Mini-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

M1A1 vs. Ruger Mini-30

Post by getitdone1 »

Which is the more reliable gun?

M1A1 or Ruger Mini-30?

I'll have one or the other in the near future and trade or sell my present Mini-14.

My guess is the M1A1 is the most reliable. It costs a lot more too.

Don
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: M1A1 vs. Ruger Mini-30

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll bet the failure-rate for either one is in the 'barely detectable' range.

The MAGAZINES will be the most determining factor, most likely, in terms of 'feeding'.

Lots of parts available for either one.

The biggest difference I'd see is a tremendous difference in weight, plus the M1A is potentially way more accurate, if you get a decent barrel (more options exist with M1A's, too). ALSO the 308 Winchester is for most purposes a 'better' cartridge than the 7.62x39 is, although they both have things they do well.

Bottom Line - I'd pick which one you want based on what your 'needs' are:
  • If you want a very affordable and reliable gun able to spit out lots of 7.62x39, that is light weight (and even moreso with a compact folding stock), get the Mini-30.

If you want a 'supreme battle rifle' that is built like a tank, and able to shoot 308 Winchester accurately enough to engage targets several hundred yards away, get the M1A.
They are BOTH very nice firearms.

I don't have a Mini-30, but wouldn't be without a Mini-14 in 223, as they are far lighter and more 'handy' than any other semiauto centerfire aside from perhaps an M1 Carbine.

What I'd REALLY like would be a Mini-14 in 300 Blk... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

ASI works on the minis and they do have different chamberings to include the 300BO . danny
http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

More correctly, this would be "M1A vs SKS".

The Mini-30 is hard to find mags for and the rifle is not correctly rifled for the inexpensive "worldwide supply" 7.62X39mm. It's rifled for American-brand hunting loads.

I've never been a huge Mini fan for when things get real bad. Kept to their original purpose (fun plinker and ranch rifle) they're fine. Once the barrel heats up (a mag or two in a hurry) the accuracy is all over.

The M1A isn't an M14, but it's a good approximation of one and pretty reliable.

The SKS of any flavor (Chinese or Yugo being my favorites) were the original testbed of the 7.62X39mm round and has been used worldwide since 1945. If you prefer the aperature sights, Tech-Sights makes a user-installable one which gives you an M14 type sight picture on the SKS, which is inexpensive, rugged and reliable, and increases the accuracy.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

MrMurphy wrote:More correctly, this would be "M1A vs SKS".

The Mini-30 is hard to find mags for and the rifle is not correctly rifled for the inexpensive "worldwide supply" 7.62X39mm. It's rifled for American-brand hunting loads.

I've never been a huge Mini fan for when things get real bad. Kept to their original purpose (fun plinker and ranch rifle) they're fine. Once the barrel heats up (a mag or two in a hurry) the accuracy is all over.

The M1A isn't an M14, but it's a good approximation of one and pretty reliable.

The SKS of any flavor (Chinese or Yugo being my favorites) were the original testbed of the 7.62X39mm round and has been used worldwide since 1945. If you prefer the aperature sights, Tech-Sights makes a user-installable one which gives you an M14 type sight picture on the SKS, which is inexpensive, rugged and reliable, and increases the accuracy.
MrMurphy,

The M1A is not an M14 you say. What's the differences? Are you hinting the M14 is more reliable than the M1A and if so, why?

I read the Ruger Mini-30 has a .308 bore but will shoot the .311 inexpensive ammo by design by swaging the .311 to .308 as bullet enters chamber. If this is so I would think accuracy with the cheap .311 ammo would be poor.

I hear the SKS is heavy.

The M1A is also heavy. Expect it can weight as much as 11 lbs. with small scope and fully loaded 20 rd mag.

Is there more than one manufacturer of the M1A?

Don
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The original M14 was all forged and stamped components, actual USGI.

The M1A is made by Springfield Armory. Since they're not making them for the government, some parts they cut corners on. Realistically for 99% of users, it won't make much difference, you're not going to be defending the Fulda Gap against a Soviet motor-rifle division throwing dozens of magazines at the bad guy. The basic design is extremely reliable as are the magazines.

M14 clones are made by more than one company though Springfield is the most well known. The Chinese made some for a while, long since banned from import that had heat treating issues, though most shot fine (I shot one which was a freaking laser beam). Fulton Armory makes ones which are probably closest to the 'real' M14 and they're not cheap. Any M14 clone is going to be in the 10-12 lb range, some weigh more, like the national match guns, etc with work done to them. They balance well but they're not skinny.

The Mini's never been known for exceptional accuracy without work, and that's the .223 model. The Mini-30s I've shot did not impress me, shooting Russian ammo they shot worse than an AK despite having much better sights. I would pass on them.

The SKS weighs 8 lb. Not super lightweight, but not particularly heavy either. It's about the same as a loaded M16 and balances very well. In Russia the SKS fills the 'ranch rifle' role where people are allowed to have weapons, a lot of game and predators get shot with them. With the Tech Sight added on for better sights, I would take an SKS over a Mini (in either caliber) every day and twice on Sundays, simply because they have outstanding reliability. The design is a miniaturized version of the PTRS anti-tank rifle designed by the same guy (Simonov) from what I remember.

If you want inexpensive ammo, reliability and a nice gun, look at the CZ bolt action carbines. They're not cheap ($500+), though cheaper than either the Mini or the M1A, feed standard 7.62X39mm just fine, since they're made in the Czech republic, and very, very handy. Low capacity (5) but very accurate pieces, they're small Mausers. Good for woods game, though not for the end of the world (being a hunting gun).
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

MrMurphy wrote:The original M14 was all forged and stamped components, actual USGI.

The M1A is made by Springfield Armory. Since they're not making them for the government, some parts they cut corners on. Realistically for 99% of users, it won't make much difference, you're not going to be defending the Fulda Gap against a Soviet motor-rifle division throwing dozens of magazines at the bad guy. The basic design is extremely reliable as are the magazines.

M14 clones are made by more than one company though Springfield is the most well known. The Chinese made some for a while, long since banned from import that had heat treating issues, though most shot fine (I shot one which was a freaking laser beam). Fulton Armory makes ones which are probably closest to the 'real' M14 and they're not cheap. Any M14 clone is going to be in the 10-12 lb range, some weigh more, like the national match guns, etc with work done to them. They balance well but they're not skinny.

The Mini's never been known for exceptional accuracy without work, and that's the .223 model. The Mini-30s I've shot did not impress me, shooting Russian ammo they shot worse than an AK despite having much better sights. I would pass on them.

The SKS weighs 8 lb. Not super lightweight, but not particularly heavy either. It's about the same as a loaded M16 and balances very well. In Russia the SKS fills the 'ranch rifle' role where people are allowed to have weapons, a lot of game and predators get shot with them. With the Tech Sight added on for better sights, I would take an SKS over a Mini (in either caliber) every day and twice on Sundays, simply because they have outstanding reliability. The design is a miniaturized version of the PTRS anti-tank rifle designed by the same guy (Simonov) from what I remember.

If you want inexpensive ammo, reliability and a nice gun, look at the CZ bolt action carbines. They're not cheap ($500+), though cheaper than either the Mini or the M1A, feed standard 7.62X39mm just fine, since they're made in the Czech republic, and very, very handy. Low capacity (5) but very accurate pieces, they're small Mausers. Good for woods game, though not for the end of the world (being a hunting gun).

Your spot on! :wink:

I know it's probably not what you want, black plastic toy :lol:
Look at a BushMaster ORC .308
Daughter's boyfriend has one and I will tell you what that gun shoots my man and is pretty light too (7.75 lbs) and extremely packable and will clear a room too. Think he paid $1200 ?

For just pure value for the $$$ A fine SKS :wink:

I got some Tapco detachable mags for mine, I call it my (next word is a big one now) "accurate" AK47 Rifle :lol:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

AK's can be quite accurate. Maybe not AR or M1A accurate but for a short-sight radius carbine with a bad trigger, if you improve the trigger and either add an optic or improve the factory sights.

Also depends on who made the AK. Russian, Polish, Hungarian and some Chinese AKs can be very good performers. Others may not necessarily be so. Add in good ammo and the guns can regularly shoot about 3 MOA (the US Gov standards for an M16 are 2-3 MOA)........and when you add in the fact the Russian method of battle was wallop the stuff out of a target with artillery and airstrikes, then mortars, then grenade launchers and direct fire cannons and machine guns and snipers covering the infantry going in......both the SKS and AK were made to excel at close to medium range work, 5-200m or so where most fights happen, and each squad had a Dragunov marksman's rifle with a scope for the long shots.....it makes sense. They knew they weren't all going to be Quigleys.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Didn't he ask about M1A1 vs Mini 30?

I'm thinking the M1A1 is the skeleton stock version of the M1 Carbine.

Post by bcp »

And Springfield Armory (M1A builder) is not Springfield Armory (US government arsenal.)

Bruce
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Larkbill wrote:Didn't he ask about M1A1 vs Mini 30?

I'm thinking the M1A1 is the skeleton stock version of the M1 Carbine.
Larkbill,

You're right. I was wrong and should have said M1A vs Mini 30.

Don