Problem With a Bolt Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Problem With a Bolt Gun

Post by jkbrea »

I'm currently on a hunting trip in Jackson, Wyoming. I brought my Tikka T3 30-06. I'm using factory Federal 165 grain Nosler Partitions. I shot about 30 rounds last week, cleaned the rifle and fired a couple more. Wednesday I hunted all day and at the end of the day, unloaded and put it away. Thursday I went out again and when I got back to my truck, took the mag out and lifted the bolt to unload it but the bolt will not budge back to eject the round although it lifts just fine. I tried tapping it back with a rubber mallet thinking the extractor was stuck but it didn't work. I tried finding a gunsmith but the only one in town is on vacation until Monday. I hate having a live round in it. I went to the local range to fire it but they refused to let me for liability reasons after I explained the problem. The only thing I can think of is on the end of the bolt is a rolled pin that goes throught the bolt. I think it holds in the extractor but I'm no gunsmith. Several months ago while cleaning it, I noticed it was protruding a bit so I pushed it back in. I'm thinking it slid out partially while I was hiking all day and is preventing the bolt from opening.
Any ideas what it could be. Luckily my partner here has a rifle to loan me till I figure this out. Thanks for any help.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Problem With a Bolt Gun

Post by Pete44ru »

I can't help with the Tikka, but if you're in hunting country, there's no need to go to a range to unload that puppy by firing it into a tree.

AFAIK, a tree won't hold you liable for damages..................

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Yeah. I'll do that tomorrow. I still don't think it will open, but we'll see.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Take a side trip up to Cody and have Buck Elliot look at it... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Dumb question, but is the safety on?

Seen a guy have a 'broke' Springfield which simply had the safety on........
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd fire it into a dirt bank instead of a tree, unless you find an already-dead one, just so not to mess up a tree. I agree though that a chambered rifle makes me nervous, doubly so if it isn't working right, and quadruple that without an exposed hammer. That's one reason I like lever guns; most have exposed hammers.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Millions of places around Jackson where you can fire a rifle off safely. The good news is Wyoming is still a free state and you cannot get a ticket for driving around with a loaded rifle. The problem with firing the rifle is the possibility that the bolt will still not lift and your hunt is over. Right now you have the ultimate in sporting guns, a single shot for the entire season.
400short
Levergunner

Post by 400short »

k1500, I disagree. Wyoming statute forbids having a loaded rifle in a vehicle while hunting. They define loaded as having a round in the chamber. Whether or not a warden would write a citation under the circumstances is questionable.

Regards,
400short
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

In vehicle, Condition 1 or 2 handgun = OK. Condition 1 or 2 rifle Not OK.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

400short wrote:k1500, I disagree. Wyoming statute forbids having a loaded rifle in a vehicle while hunting. They define loaded as having a round in the chamber. Whether or not a warden would write a citation under the circumstances is questionable.

Regards,
400short

Can you provide a link to that state statute? I've never heard it before.

Some states make mention in such ways that some may believe its a law, such as "safety dictates that all firearms must be carried with the chamber empty" but it's more of a safety statement, not an actual law in the cases I've seen in other states. I'm not aware of any such law in Wyoming.

Edit: The only thing I can find is this from the Wyoming statues,

"23-3-307. Hunting while intoxicated or under influence of controlled substance prohibited.

(a) No person shall carry a firearm with a cartridge therein, or take any wildlife in Wyoming, while intoxicated or under the influence of controlled substance as defined in the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971 or amendments thereto.
"

The prohibition only seems to apply to someone that is intoxicated or under the influence of a controlled substance.
Last edited by Malamute on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

MrMurphy wrote:Dumb question, but is the safety on?

Seen a guy have a 'broke' Springfield which simply had the safety on........
Haha. Yeah. Bolt won't lift if the safety is on. I just can't get it to go back to extract. Back in the woods tomorrow and then I'll fire it. I went to the range because it was on the way to where I was staying and I was too exhausted from hiking around in snow for hours.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I would fire it, just to be on the safe side. I don't know any gunsmith that would work on a loaded (round in the chamber), clearly malfunctioning firearm...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Problem With a Bolt Gun - SOLVED

Post by jkbrea »

I took it out and fired it but still couldn't get the bolt to function. I called Beretta/ Tikka and they suggested I put a dowel down the barrel and tap it to get it to open. I did and it popped open. It sheared off the pin that was protruding out the side on the end of the bolt. Beretta is sending me out all new parts kit for the bolt free of charge. :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

glad you got safe!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A similar issue can happen with the Win.94 and it`s lever pin.
Glad you have it under control. Good Hunting!! :D