OT-H&R 30-30 cast range day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

OT-H&R 30-30 cast range day

Post by WCF3030 »

Took out my newly painted and tweaked H&R 30-30 today.
I never seem to go too the range with the intent of posting about it. Next time.
What I did was load up my 173 Lyman bullets 27gr of H-335 Water cooled WW.
This is the bullet that I now use exclusively in my Marlin 30-30 with the above listed load or the same bullet with 9.5gr of Unique, which I've been cleaning up on Tree Rates with.
Both hit the same point of aim at 50yds.

I loaded 14 with a CCI 200 rifle primer
7 used a pistol primer 300.
I first sighted in the new Williams sight with 7 RP rounds then shot another 7 RP rounds at 50yds 5 in a inch group with 2 dropping down opening it up to 2 1/2 in group. Not bad.
The gem was the Pistol Primer rounds 7 shots inside 1/2 inch.
There was no unburnt powder.
This certainly needs some more looking into.
Next time I go it will be with the intent, now that the rifle is sighted in to test these rounds say from 25 to 150 yards.

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Who said Leverguns aren't accurate!

WTG
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good Pdog load :lol: That's very impresive.
We only have the Rossi single shot version and only in the usual boring chamberings :roll:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nath wrote:Good Pdog load :lol: That's very impresive.
We only have the Rossi single shot version and only in the usual boring chamberings :roll:
Nath.
Nath, are you saying you can't get H&R's over there?

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I don't know of any importers at the mo, I do know of a couple of shotgun versions at a near store (tempting). The average Brit shooter is a fickle thing and a cheap gun is looked down upon even if they shoot a tick off a rats a,,, I mean alot of snobbery exists. On a side note you should of seen the faces of folk when I took an old rusty single 12g on a pheasant shoot, that gun fitted me well and I downed pretty much everthing i shot at including fast high birds, I did it for the snobs I knew would be there :lol:
I would like one in 45/70 if I was doing alot of woodland stalking amongst others.
I believe they have to be sent off for fitting aditional barrels. Surely an engineering minded feller could do it or a competent smith, what do you say?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nath wrote:I don't know of any importers at the mo, I do know of a couple of shotgun versions at a near store (tempting). The average Brit shooter is a fickle thing and a cheap gun is looked down upon even if they shoot a tick off a rats a,,, I mean alot of snobbery exists. On a side note you should of seen the faces of folk when I took an old rusty single 12g on a pheasant shoot, that gun fitted me well and I downed pretty much everthing i shot at including fast high birds, I did it for the snobs I knew would be there :lol:
I would like one in 45/70 if I was doing alot of woodland stalking amongst others.
I believe they have to be sent off for fitting aditional barrels. Surely an engineering minded feller could do it or a competent smith, what do you say?
Much the same over hear Nath. I would encounter it almost everytime I went to the range. Feels good when you outshoot someone with a firearm worth 5-10 times what you paid for yours. :)
As for the other, you can fit your own barrels with a little know how for the H&R, but most send them out.
With 14 years of maching under my belt I prefer to do it myself

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:D Keep the reports coming Sir :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Not to hijack the thread but good shooting, my NEF 30-30 will do about the same,Nath I fit all my barrels, 10 at last count. Doug

a armed man is his own master
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Personally I think they look cool, robust and light.
Where does the fitting take place, is it around the hinge pin? I imagine it being tight there.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Yes the fitting is around"the hinge pin" Nath send me a email and I will post a really good site for the handi rifle.. canon6@bresnan.net Doug
a armed man is his own master
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

nice shooting.
Having recently fallen to the H&R bug my self. My handi in .308 win shoots right along with my Lee Enfield out to 300 yards and that is just fine for me. :D Just cause it is inexpensive dont mean its cheap :wink: .

I will be giving mine a paint job after I mount a permanent check rest to the but stock.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice shooting...Thanks for the report..I'm hoping to make a report soon..Mebbe this w/e
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

JReed wrote:nice shooting.
Having recently fallen to the H&R bug my self. My handi in .308 win shoots right along with my Lee Enfield out to 300 yards and that is just fine for me. :D Just cause it is inexpensive dont mean its cheap :wink: .

I will be giving mine a paint job after I mount a permanent check rest to the but stock.
You have the "Survivor" model right?
That's another consistent shooter.
I've also the 223 Ultra. Really likes 75gr match and 53gr A-max.
A little more finicky then the 30-30

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

WCF3030 wrote:
JReed wrote:nice shooting.

You have the "Survivor" model right?
That's another consistent shooter.
I've also the 223 Ultra. Really likes 75gr match and 53gr A-max.
A little more finicky then the 30-30
Yes Sir. Right now I am in a toss up I would love to get a 45-70 Buffalo Classic but the .45colt carbine they have keeps calling my name. I really need to get a 335rem 336 first I already have the dies. :wink: :D

Last edited by JReed on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

I am still pretty new to this business, but I have never heard of using Pistol Primers iso of Large Rifle Primers.
I've used Small Pistol Primers in my handi Hornet (which is also a tack driver)
Is it common to experiment with Pistol Primers in 30-30 or other large rifle cartridges?

Bob A
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

There is more Info on Handi-Rifles than you can imagine.

Just Google Handi-Rifle and see what turns up. :wink:

My H & R in .308 & the other barrel in 44 Mag. shoot very well. To make them shoot real well it takes a minimum of work.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Bob A wrote:I am still pretty new to this business, but I have never heard of using Pistol Primers iso of Large Rifle Primers.
I've used Small Pistol Primers in my handi Hornet (which is also a tack driver)
Is it common to experiment with Pistol Primers in 30-30 or other large rifle cartridges?

Bob A
Safe in my rifles only. :)
The man who did the gunsmithing on my 336 and has written a couple books, educated me in using Pistol Primers with certain powders.

I use them with my Unique loads and with H-335 powders.
So far it seems to produce a more consistent ignition.