1895CB sight problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

1895CB sight problems

Post by JollyWhiteGiant »

OK, I put a Williams 5D sight on my Marlin 1895CB and took her out to the range today. Load is a 450 gr cast bullet at 1500 fps. I went to get it on paper at 25 yards adn ended up bringing the rear sight about 3/4 of the way up! did I do something wrong here? I can't immagine getting a front sight that would correct for that much adjustment.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It sounds like you need a lower front sight to allow you to lower the rear also. The Cowboys come with a 1/2" (.500) front sight. Mine shoots to POA with the stock front and Williams FP rear set quite low but I shoot 300-350 gr. cast bullets and not the heavies. You will have to do some switching on the front with that load. Have you shot any factory loads in it? :wink:
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

Post by JollyWhiteGiant »

If I had to buy factory I probably woun't own a .45-70, not at $30 a box.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JWG,

A couple of thoughts. My 1894 cowboy front sight was so much too high I had to reduce it to a .360" front sight to get it where I wanted it.

The 45-70 has quite a rainbow trajectory. You might try to move the target out to 50 yds and try again. Or even 100. Then do the sight calculations to see what sight height you need.

You can do it at 25 if you know what the trajectory is and how high the bullet should strike if the gun were sighted in at 25 yds.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI - Front sight height calculations are predicated on the distance POI is off of the POA @ 100yds.

Here's Brownell's Sight Height Calculator - Why not give it a read, and see if it can help you out.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx