124 year-old Winchester Model 1873 brings home the venison

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

124 year-old Winchester Model 1873 brings home the venison

Post by KirkD »

For me, Deer hunting has to be done with a vintage Winchester. It is the feel of history in my hands, old cartridges, and using guns that the homesteaders used. This year, I decided to use my original Winchester Model 1873 chambered in what was originally called the 44 W.C.F., but eventually become known as the 44-40. The Cody records show that this rifle was shipped from the Winchester warehouse in 1889. It is in pretty nice condition with at least 85% of the original finish, and the bore is near mint. Before taking it hunting, I gave it a heavy coat of Conservator’s Wax, and then took the can with me to give it more coats as the need arose.

I had cast my own bullets out of clip on wheel weights to get a 200 grain gas checked bullet using a brass mould from Accurate Moulds. Seated over 18 grains of 5744 the muzzle velocity was 1,280 fps, plus or minus depending upon the temperature, which was ranging between freezing to several degrees below freezing with occasional snow flurries. Here is a photo I took of the old ’73 on the second day of hunting.

The second day, near dusk, I saw a nice doe slide like a ghost into view about 85 yards away. I could only see the top half of her body, so took careful aim for a lung shot and pulled the trigger. The doe took off and I went over to take a look. Not the faintest trace of blood, but I tracked her until it was too dark to see anything. The following morning I checked the setting on my tang sight and saw to my dismay that it was set to 150 yards! The bullet would have cleared the doe’s back by a few inches, so I went back and sighted down the flight path of the bullet to determine where it should have gone if it passed just over the doe, then went to the location where the doe had been and after only a minute or so, found the bullet. It had passed almost through the trunk of a small cedar. When I dug it out, I was mildly disturbed to see that it had not deformed at all. I am using pure clip on wheel weights. My reproduction of the 1896 Winchester catalogue states that they used pure lead bullets. I’m sure those would deform better.

The big lesson, that I’m sure the Old Timers knew very well, is to very carefully check the graduation lines on the tang sight to make sure I’m sighted at the proper range. With a 44 W.C.F., and its arcing trajectory, it makes a big difference if a fellow has the wrong setting. Yesterday, I headed out again into snow squalls, but checked the setting on my tang sight numerous times. This time it was set to 100 yards. I was looking down along the edge of the half overgrown meadow when a nice doe emerged about 50 yards ahead of me, roughly where those two smaller spruce trees are in the centre of the photo below.

I squeezed the trigger and she took off, straight toward me, then veered 90 degrees into the brush and long grass. I started tracking her and found her piled up in a Cedar swamp 150 yards away. The bullet had gone right through both lungs and exited out the opposite side. I’ve never had a deer run that far before. I figure if I had used a pure lead bullet, like Winchester used to sell for these Model 1873’s, it would have expanded and the deer would have dropped sooner. Here is a photo of the deer before tagging and cleaning it. Live weight would have been an easy 200 pounds. (there are reflections of the sky and tree branches on the old rifle's receiver, it looks a lot nicer in real life).

After taking the photo, I put this classic old Winchester back into its soft gun sock and then into its hard case to protect it during the long haul back to the farmyard of the friends where my wife and I are staying. It was an hour and a half to haul the deer back after I had gutted it. I would drag it for 15 to 25 yards, depending upon the terrain, and then get my cased gun. Total distance was about ¼ mile through swamp, fallen trees and, finally, grassy or leaf covered trails. Right now, it is skinned and hanging off a large branch on an Old Sugar Maple. Tomorrow, my wife and I will cut and wrap the meat.

Here is an older photo of the rifle that I took shortly after I acquired it. As far as I am concerned, this was its last hunt. From now on, its job will be to look pretty on the wall ...

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 124 year-old Winchester Model 1873 brings home the venis

Post by Borregos »

Nice one Kirk, enjoyed the story, good eating there :D :D
Where were you hunting this year?
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's a great old gun Kirk!!
cant blame you for putting the 44-40 up on the wall now, Its a beaut
is that doe a extra large or normal for your area?

ollogger
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Kirk you are a blessed man indeed! That is one Beautiful rifle and what a privilege to be able to use it.
I guess it would be prudent to preserve it for future generations. Even with the best of care the finish will wear if carried hunting.
Then again I have a good friend whose father passed him some nice Winchesters with the advice if its to good to use its to good to have :)
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

FEELS ABSOLUTELY GREAT TO GET THE OLD ONES OUT DOING WHAT THEY WERE MEANT TO DO, DOESN"T IT. If I get a doe this year it will be the 7th year I will have gotten a pa doe with a different 100 year old or older lever. A couple years ago I got one with a Marlin 1889 first year production in 44-40. Maybe at some point we will be close enough to let them talk to each other and tell their tall tales. Congrats on a nice deer, and a better story....never a truer trophy.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats Kirk, great story - great pics!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Great read Kirk! Congrats on the fine Winchester (again), and on the deer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Kirk, you really should collect these stories and photos and add them to a vintage leverguns article. I always enjoy seeing your posts.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kirk your right about the alloy I have switched from a HC to a 1-20 in a 255 gr pb 45colt and pushed with 5744 for my pistol (900 fps) and 92 they shoot thru on deer. Good shooting, good story and pics. danny
1894c

Post by 1894c »

KirkD-- very nice report, photos, and deer...i would be hard pressed not to hunt with that Winchester again, i don't think I could leave it on a wall, but fully understand why you would... :)
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Great post, Kirk! I really enjoyed the pictures and reading about your rifle and experiences. :D :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Congratulations Kirk on a fine hunt with a fine gun. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Glad you enjoyed the update, gentlemen.

Pete, I was hunting on St. Josephs Island, at the West end of Lake Huron.

Olloger, that is about average for a full grown doe around here. I've shot several over the years that were right around that weight. There is a massive buck wandering around this farm, judging by the behemoth tracks he is leaving. I was kind of hoping he would stray across my path, but judging from the age of the tracks in the morning, he travels only at night. The largest buck I ever shot was a 300 pounder out near the western border of Manitoba many years ago. Around here, I've not heard of any getting that big.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Very Much enjoyed Kirk, what will U hunt with next year ? Sad to see the old Girl retired but then again what would the other Guns think ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Very nice, Kirk!

I think you oughta take that gun out at least once a year, and
maybe not be so keen to retire it. I realize that's very presumptuous
of me, as it's not my gun and I can't say that I know you very well! :lol:
All of THAT said, it's wonderful to see an old, well-cared for tool still
used as it's makers intended.

Congratulations on a successful hunt, and thanks for sharing it.

-Stretch
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I really enjoyed the story and photos. Thanks. Congratulations!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Really nice story. Man that rifle looks good in a field setting. :mrgreen: I found that most bullets even the Varmint types wont expand much going thru wood of any kind. WW bullets would pass thru 3-5 small Poplar trees and barely deform the nose like you mentioned. Yet when shot into a water bottle they expand to .33 cal or so and the nose would be sheared off down about a 1/3 of the way, that from a Lee soupcan 113gr FP. The wood fibers wood hold together and not let it expand at least it made sense the way it was explained to me. Its nice to see a "brown" fat healthy doe. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
oklahoma red
Levergunner

Post by oklahoma red »

Awesome job Kirk!
And thank you for perpetuating the tradition of filling the freezer with a levergun.

Happy shootin to ya,
OkR
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Awsome, What it's all about 8)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wonderful story and pictures. made my morning !

i give another vote for taking it out again sometime.
cable
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote:Congrats Kirk, great story - great pics!!

+ 1... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Kirk - Wonderful post. What a treat for you,...and us!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

pwl44m wrote:Very Much enjoyed Kirk, what will U hunt with next year ? Sad to see the old Girl retired but then again what would the other Guns think ?
Perry
Perry, I have some other vintage Winchesters waiting their turn. It's too early to tell yet, but I will likely hunt with one of these two.

The first one is an original Winchester Model 1894 Takedown chambered in 30 W.C.F. (aka 30-30). It was shipped from the Winchester Warehouse in 1903 and is still in beautiful condition. Here is a photo ....

The other option is an original Winchester Model 1886 45-70, shipped from the Winchester Warehouse in 1890. Here is a photo of that one ...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thankyou Kirk so much, been waiting.....and thanks for toting a camera!
Take care sir....

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .Excellent Kirk.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings and Congradulations Kirk !
That was some good reading and good photos ! Nice 73 ! I think that rifle should see more time popping ground hogs and other critters of encounter.
One thing about a real soft bullet is they do not exit. No exit and no blood trail.

Have a 1873 44 WCF 2nd model special order heavy octagon barrel. But there is no finish anywhere. External pitting all over. Looks like it spent alot of time in a wet leather scaberd. But no internal barrel pitting and shoots fine. I can only hope one day ILLinois will trust us to use a pistol caliber rifle to plop corn crunchers. Mine shoots 50-50 nicely.
But till then I have to pretend with a revolver pushing the same bullet at 1245 fps.
Keep up the good hunting ! Insurance companies are right proud of you.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Congrats kirk! Great pics too! :wink:
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Kirk,

Great write up and of course the photos are top notch, as always.

Are you sure you can't put together a calendar for next year? Please? Pretty please? :)

Cat
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Cat, I just can't. I didn't have the time this year to do enough photos for a calendar.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,
Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

I know the feeing of harvesting an animal with an antique Winchester......not much can equal it.

I don't believe a soft bullet would have made any difference. The deer was dead on his feet, but just did not know it. That's just the way the old cartridges worked, unless of course, the central nervous system was directly hit.

Good to see you took the time and effort to analyze why your first shot missed.....not many people do those things nowadays.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote:Good to see you took the time and effort to analyze why your first shot missed.....not many people do those things nowadays.--------Sixgun
Here is a photo of the bullet that went high over the first doe's back, dug out of the far side of the trunk of a small Cedar.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, that is sure good looking meat and that rifle is pure class. I think most of the cast bullets that is sold are way to hard for a hunting bullet.

I have been carrying the 38-55 with your load of 18 grains of 5744 and a 255 grain Montana cast bullet.
Last edited by JerryB on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is some tough lead cast.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So incredibly jealous! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I love it Kirk! Fine old rifle in my favorite caliber for rifle or pistol and a great job on the write up and photos. Thank you for sharing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Excellent documentation of your hunt with a beautiful looking rifle :mrgreen:
Thanks for sharing & good eating :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

KjrkD a great hunt & and as always a great story. Really liked the detective work to find the bullet. Oh yeah that was a very nice doe.
All of your posts are enjoyable. always look forward to your posts & pictures.

hayabusa
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations !

Looks like a fine eating doe with a beautiful old rifle.

I don't remember who it was... Paco, maybe did some writing about setting hard cast bullets in a tray of water with the water level up to the grouves. Then passing the flame from a propane torch over the nose of the bullet to heat it up enough to soften it a bit. That will allow the nose of the bullet to expand but the bearing surfaces stay hard enough to prevent leading.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

No sweat Kirk, I was just hoping. Your posts & pics are always so enjoyable. Maybe next year.

Cat
bubba15301
Levergunner

Post by bubba15301 »

beautiful rifle .i amgoing to yake my 1889Marlin(circa 1890) cal. .32wcf (32/20) for a walk in the deer woods this year ,a long with my .22 hipower Savage model 99
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is a beautiful rifle and a great hunt. Congrats
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Awesome! I have shot some deer with my old Winchesters, but never got the opportunity to try my '73 on one.... yet... The most modern rifle I have used for hunting in recent years would be my 1895 in .303 Brit. I have very little interest in modern rifles anymore, they are so boring.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Nice report and pictures. You have motivated me to go out just once at least with my 1950's 94 and my deer tag.
bubba15301
Levergunner

Post by bubba15301 »

going to take out my 1889 marlin in 32/20 for deer in a couple weeks .shipped from the factory in 1890
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

If anyone could do it you can. Good job! As you know, I had to use a angle eject and a carry handle, still a lever though.

Owen