Thunder & Lightening - Shooting the Uberti M1876 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ndnchf
Levergunner

Thunder & Lightening - Shooting the Uberti M1876 Winchester

Post by ndnchf »

Its been a while since I took my .50-95 Uberti 1876 winchester out for some exercise. But I went to the range yesterday and had a blast. My load was 78 gr (weight) of Swiss 2F black powder and a Rapine 350T bullet. At the first shot, all heads on the firing line looked down to see what caused the thunder and lightening and the huge cloud of smoke as the BOOM echoed across the range :D It didn't take long for a crowd to gather around and start asking questions.

The .50-95 is not known for great accuaracy. It's considered an Express cartrridge for short range work. But I think this load works pretty well in it. In all, I fired about 30 rounds before my shoulder got a little sore.

Next I'm going to try some 2F Old Eynsford in it and see how it does.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thunder & Lightening - Shooting the Uberti M1876 Winches

Post by Grizz »

good shooting. gun picture please

G
ndnchf
Levergunner

Post by ndnchf »

Here are a couple pics of my rifle.

I've had it about 5 years now. I went to Taylors & Co in Winchester Virginia and picked it out of their stock. It is a beautiful rifle, in my humble opinion, and functions flawlessly. I added the Riflesmith tang sight, which is beautifully made. It really helps with my aging eyes. The the .50-95 is hardly what I'd call a practical cartridge, but I was smitten by the mystique. Needless to say, its a great attention getter at the range and a ball to shoot :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is a real looker :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
ndnchf
Levergunner

Post by ndnchf »

Yes, thanks its a fine looking rifle indeed. The fit and finish is top notch and it loads, fires and ejects flawlessly. Perhaps its only downside is its size and weight. It IS a beast. But that weight also helps to tame recoil.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Fine shooting & very nice gun
who says practical is a must when it comes to lever guns :lol:

ollogger