OT - Alaskan Dall Sheep

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Alaskan Dall Sheep

Post by Jarhead »

"You can run...but you will die tired"

The most challenging hunt of my life! Taken with a Pre-64 Model 70 30-06 at 400 yards...."One Shot...One Kill." August of 1994....
Semper Fi
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Very nice, I hope to take one of those someday.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

WAY TO GO!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very sweet
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

rjohns94 wrote:very sweet
Thanks Brother....
Semper Fi
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

95fan wrote:Very nice, I hope to take one of those someday.
I know where the big ones are, but unfortunately in Alaska, you are required by law to hire a guide. I lived up there at the time, so I didn't have too. I am not a registered guide, otherwise, I'd give you a hand getting one.
Semper Fi
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

And one I'm sure you'll never forget! Excellent - thanks for sharing!!! :D 8)
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Ysabel Kid wrote:And one I'm sure you'll never forget! Excellent - thanks for sharing!!! :D 8)
It was a tough hunt...you have to be in great shape to hunt these critters...I worked out for a year to prepare for it. Lots of arobics with a 45 pound pack...a real "ball buster" But worth it... :wink: It took three days just to get to our base camp at 8500 ft...very rugged country.
Semper Fi
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Jarhead wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:And one I'm sure you'll never forget! Excellent - thanks for sharing!!! :D 8)
It was a tough hunt...you have to be in great shape to hunt these critters...I worked out for a year to prepare for it. Lots of arobics with a 45 pound pack...a real "ball buster" But worth it... :wink: It took three day to get to base camp at 8500 ft...very rugged country.
One reason I'll most likely never get to hunt one. Yours looks kinda skinny! :shock: :D

Just kiddn, congrats, on a successful hunt and I'm sure a well earned trophy.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

handirifle wrote:
Jarhead wrote:
It was a tough hunt...you have to be in great shape to hunt these critters...I worked out for a year to prepare for it. Lots of arobics with a 45 pound pack...a real "ball buster" But worth it... :wink: It took three day to get to base camp at 8500 ft...very rugged country.
One reason I'll most likely never get to hunt one. Yours looks kinda skinny! :shock: :D

Just kiddn, congrats, on a successful hunt and I'm sure a well earned trophy.
Thanks Handrifle,
Yea, there's not much meat left on him in the PIC :) I de-boned him prior to humping him back to our base camp. I caped him later...he had 14 inch bases and a 38 inch full curl...
Last edited by Jarhead on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

400 yards with a .30-06??? Everyone knows you need at least a .300 SuperMega-AtomicBlaster for a shot like that!!!!! :lol:

Congatulations!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Pisgah wrote:400 yards with a .30-06??? Everyone knows you need at least a .300 SuperMega-AtomicBlaster for a shot like that!!!!! :lol:

Congatulations!
Thanks...
Interesting that you should say that 8) The Alaska Fish and Game dept. did a study on a "bear stopper" All of which I've owned at one time or another....As follows:
1).458 Win Mag.
2).375 H&H Mag
3).338 Win Mag
4)30-06 :)

300 Win Mag came in at #16 and the 7mm Mag was even further down on this list. I can live without them :)

We had to qualify at 500 yards with reciever sights in the Marine Corps with the M14 .308 and then later with the M16. Never liked the M16 myself. I had a scope on my '06, so I was cheating a little. :lol:

Semper Fi
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We took the train, in Skagway, up to the Yukon Pass. We saw the sheep ABOVE us, on the cliffs in the distance. I know what you had to do. I don't hunt, but this is the type of hunting I would want to do.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Jarhead, I just know thats not you holding your weapon like some kind of suitcase :D

congrats on the sheep.

Semper Fi
Ricky

DWWC
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

That is very impressive. I would love to do it but I would have to lose a good fifty pounds and get into really great aerobic shape. Hard to do in real life.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

RKrodle wrote:Jarhead, I just know thats not you holding your weapon like some kind of suitcase :D

congrats on the sheep.

Semper Fi
Thanks,

No Sarge... :D I'll start doing push ups until you get tired :( Yea, that's me :) ....the skinny kid (Marine) on the right.
Semper Fi
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Jarhead wrote:
RKrodle wrote:Jarhead, I just know thats not you holding your weapon like some kind of suitcase :D

congrats on the sheep.

Semper Fi
Thanks,

No Sarge... :D I'll start doing push ups until you get tired :( Yea, that's me :) ....the skinny kid (Marine) on the right.
Shamefull.:D

Nice sheep I would be lying if I said I wasnt jealous.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

JReed wrote:
Jarhead wrote:

congrats on the sheep.

Semper Fi
Thanks,

Shamefull.:D

Nice sheep I would be lying if I said I wasnt jealous.

Thanks Brother,

That good Marine Corps Training came in handy.... :wink:
Semper Fi
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats on the Dall, Jarhead. Just reading about hunts like that make me tired! Jealousy reigns supreme! Been hunting at altitude myself... it's WORK, no two ways about it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Griff wrote:Congrats on the Dall, Jarhead. Just reading about hunts like that make me tired! Jealousy reigns supreme! Been hunting at altitude myself... it's WORK, no two ways about it.
Thanks Griff,

I killed that Dall when I was in my 40s, so probably will never do it again. I have the Dall mounted with a nice Muley above my fireplace....Have a Grizzly, Moose, Caribou, Bobcat, and Rocky Mountain Elk hanging out in the Trophy room with them. I'd like to get a Mountain Lion next, and perhaps head over to Africa someday....
Semper Fi
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

bigbore442001 wrote:That is very impressive. I would love to do it but I would have to lose a good fifty pounds and get into really great aerobic shape. Hard to do in real life.
Thanks Bigbore,

Yea, I took that Dall in my 40s, so it would take me another year of working out to do it again. I have known a few 70 year olds who still hunt them..they just pace themselfs...I may do it again? Hard to say...but I doubt it...It will put your pecker in the dirt! Did mine...

I'd rather go to Africa next...
Semper Fi