Thank you 86er

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Thank you 86er

Post by madman4570 »

Ever have one of them years towards beginning of deer season?

This year has been extremely busy with everything else but getting the proper procedures in place for deer hunting. Hey, blame the wife!
Well, last year daughter started deer hunting. She started late in life but is naturally a very good shot least on paper.
However, the loaded rifle thing traipsing through the woods deal by her lonesome and actually hunting she is a rookie and this year she plans on hunting at her place mostly and not here as much. Unless she changes her mind! So I can't keep an eye out on her here. Hope boyfriend does it as well as I think he will.

So, last year she used my Winchester M70 .243 with my original 3X9 kassanar scope that came with it. That gun was always was a deer killing machine. No shoot able buck she wanted to take. Wanted 10point + or bust! :lol:
I wanted to be close to her because I still worry a tad with the safety loaded gun thing about in woods new to hunting.

I hate to admit this, but some detail that will be mentioned below kills me to even think about it to this day.
The month of Sept 2011 I took my daughter up to the Rifle Club,they have better tables to try out the M70 for some range time. She was shooting 100yds and that gun on the bench with sandbags she was getting groups between ione and two inches no problem. I shot some and again golf ball size stuff. Just fine! So that was that. We were shooting Remington 100gr PSP's. That deer season she couldn't make it ended up the College stuff going on too much etc.

I took that gun out, now with that gun I have killed at least 30 deer etc. That season first day go out back 7am a 9 point steps out on log road at 70yds broad side I am sitting against a big hemlock scope on 5X Put the duplex crosshairs on the making meat spot and boom. Tail up spooks and off he goes. WTF This just don't happen to me no way. get up look for blood, hair,sign, zip! I bet I spent couple hours thinking he's down if I crisscross that wood section I will find him down. Nope. WTF First time in my life killing close to 100 deer that happened. OK, screw it on we go. In the afternoon 3:45pm a 7 point steps out from big hemlocks which now is where I am up top of mountain. The buck walks up to about 50yds. I am sitting, perfect rest wasn't going to wack him but am pi##ed from ealier in the day with the WTF deal. Ho HUM he is taking the rage, Boom! He jumps up off front feet and over the bank he goes down into huge gorge. I am thinking oh sh## come on now whats up this gun usually drops them like Thors hammer. get up walk over to spot, no frifin blood,hair,zip go down gorge zip. About ready to cry mommy and wet myself.

That's it! Day done,I feel sick etc.
walking down the log road I see this Mountain Dew half drank bottle sitting on a stump along log road.I am thinking who the he## was up here and if I could only catch them right now! get down log road look back and think what the he## is going on???
Lean against a oak tree standing and about 90 yards back I scope that Mountain Dew bottle.Crank scope to 9X cented cross hairs on bottle, Boom bottle is gone gone??? WTF
Done with that gun--I am sick it let me down since 1972 Grab the Deerslayer open sights I am good!
Then later switched to open sighted Model 70 7mm Rem Mag(killed wall hanger at 85 yds dead on spot.
Back to last year for daughter.she wants to use that Model 70 .243 that she shot so very well. Kept bugging me wouldn't quit etc.
Finally said fine. She said they are first the week before season having a get together at boy friends hunting place with his family which are all big time hunters ladies and men. They stopped down next day. Boyfriend said, boy my dad said you really must have fine tuned that gun she outshot all of us. Dead center on at 100yds,dead center on at 60yds etc. Am thinking looking at gun WTF

So, she used it no shots fired at deer what little time she got to hunt. I bought her a H&R Ultra Hunter fully rifled 20ga also prior thinking safe gun to learn the hunting trade etc. She hated it.
This year we are running late getting our act together. She takes .243 to boy friends familys hunting camp they all shoot. they stop back at our place.She says you know dad I still beat all their butts but I did what you said.I told her I got thinking about it and it had to be one of two things. Bad Ammo,I told her back then get new ammo. Or number two I have heard on rare occasions a scope goes bad,It is fime at high power but as the scope goes down in magnification it goes south. I told her to try it also at 5X and 3X

They were smiling at me. She said when she put that tack driver on 5X at 60yds it shot 14" low and 12" left. At 100yds on 5X it shot off the paper anywhere. On 9X it would drive tacks all day long.
She said, God I wanted to tell you that gun shot perfect on all powers but just couldn't do it! :lol:
I said you gonna use your Ultra Hunter? she said I hate that gun. So today I luckily got my hands on a box of Remington 405gr @1330fps for another H&R Handi I bought with a Burris Scope. I said to wife I going to run out back and sight this in shouldn't take long.Prior to going out when I got back from sportings goods store and going out back I took the gun and mounted scope punched a small hole in a piece of tape and placed that across barrel muzzle then I took a piece of paper and made a funnel that one side fit tightly into open barrel chamber but other side of paper funnel was just the right size to except my LED Mini Mag flashlight. Clamped gun and scope action open with light inside funnel thowing a nice bright tiny dot on wall where I had a black dot on a piece of white paper.
Looked through scope clamped to wife's wooden shelf of her wall Passover opening and adjusted crosshairs to that dot. Simple.

I am thinking,Be back in about 15 mins. I get up there, setup and boom at a big card board box my weight bench came in.Had a 1" black square bull on it and was 30yds away from target.Boom, 17" low and 10" right :lol:
Make my adjustments, each click on that scope at 50yds is 1/2 MOA so I make my adjustments, Boom, one inch left of first one. WTF
OK, HO ZAA, I make major adjust time. Boom, 15" low and 11" right :cry: :oops: :wink:

Make some major adjust some cuse words and Boom, I see a twig on branch about 2 feet over my barrel get blown off and target untouched. :twisted: :oops: ^$%#$^&^$%^^&(^%%%

That's it piece of sh@@ and half of $50 down drain.I did notice one of those new Remingtons misfired,opened action primmer hit closed action reshot Boom. Also those shells for being new looked pretty darn dirty and also looking at the inside of barrel boy is that barrel dirty and I mean like chunks of powder residue left ?

Finally, here is where Joe comes in, think he ever would on this post???
I wanted something extremely safe simple for daughter this year cause she might be by her lonesome etc.
One gun I always loved and extremely simple, safe and fool proof next to a single break open gun. Don't laugh now.
That Kel-Tec SU16-B and I have some 5rd AR15 Mags that work fine in it.That gun works like a AK47 and the safety is foolproof.

So, go down and grab a handful of 5.56 FMJ's and 5 of 64gr Federal 64gr PSP
I then about at 3pm today mount a scope I bought from my best friend in the world----86er I love him!
No bore sighting, nothing, clamp that Bushnell Red/Green Dot 1x32 Trophy to Kel-tec and grab big card board box go out back.
Load in a 5rd clip of 55gr FMJ handloads, Boom foot low and 4 inches rights. Make adjustments per owners manual.

Tape hole and shoot from same 30 yd beginning distance. Boom, 1 inch from bull,make adjustments, Boom, dead center bull.Tape hole.
Move target out to 65yds put in 64gr PSP's, Boom, 2 inches high and dead center horizontal
make adjustments, Boom, dead nuts, fire another Boom, dead nuts Bull, Boom, dead nuts Bull
65 yds at a 1 inch square bull, dead nuts! I love that scope and OMG even at 5pm tonight that especially low brightness level green dot you could see almost like a laser, could shoot a knats a## in that low low light. :shock:

Did I say already , I love Joe(86er)

If daughter don't use it this year, I will and kinda hope she don't! :lol: :oops: 7mm will sit in safe!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Thank you 86er

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

There is a lesson here, but the majority refuse............ to learn it.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Man I did! :oops:

Doc, yes I su## with the pics thing too!

Ya know guys time to time we all have to get put in our place, reality check.

I just assumed "Old Faithful" could not go south. Heck, the night before the two buck a walking deal. Had everything out on dining room table all perfect ready to go including my gun.Right in middle surrounded by everything else. All I could think of was OK, who picked up and dropped or knocked off my rifle off table on wood floor and just put it back on table????? :lol: Cause that gun just don't do that.

You have to remember growing up right up Pa/NY border I hunted both States, don't always do that anymore.
And many years in NYS it was only Shotgun etc.

The I never miss deal, ya I probably think I am better than I really am.
But, its the mind thing I feel I have paid my dues and usually shooting wise especially offhand guess I do have a gift or so they say?

Growing up we had land to hunt/shoot on and at a very young age I ran around like Daniel Boone with guns! :lol:
Then in 7th grade our school had Rifle Club and Anglers Club, both of course I joined and was in all the way through High School even balancing that in with regular High School Sports and the Martial Arts stuff from Hidy Ochiai himself.

Actually I was the only one that did the Rifle Club deal from 7-12 grades, all six years.(Got to Distingusehed Expert Class,only one. :oops: :lol:
Honestly, like the Tiger Woods deal doing something young and with a Professional grade teacher if you learn,listen,and have some natural ability chances are yes you will be quite good. The Hunting tactics,way of hunting learned that from mostly older relatives etc. That part I tend to think I am so,so! The tracking of game my feeling is I su##.

So the 2 buck not down deal really bugged the sh## out of me for a long time. I should have manned up and found out what was what. That is usually how it goes down with me but with this, ?? I have no idea why it just sickened me to even want to mess with that gun.??

Live and learn cause I sure don't have all the answers. One thing I am trainable. I usually don't get burned twice. That 45-70 handi scope already off gun. After deer season we will sort that out. We have deer all over here eating our apples and yesterday while going boom bang boom they were standing over on other hillside looking at me and then down at apple trees. :lol:

Wife has to beep when coming up driveway. Now, since last week some of them even lay in lawn right next to barn.
Good grief, will feel guilty wacking one of those when in woods! Unless its got some real big horns! :D
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

There are several lessons to learn here, and I'm not going to be the teacher on all of them. Mescalero has made a point several times that I heard loud and clear. But if a scope is going to break, any one can break. I tend to shoot a 3 shot group with a variable power by choosing the low power, middle power and high power. This ensures the POI does not move with a magnification change, and it lets me discover what magnification gives me the most clarity as well as when the magnification actually helps me shoot better. Then, if your trusty hunting rig does not hit where it has you should investigate the reason as soon as possible but before another hunt.

Anyway that Red/Green dot was designed for the Mil contract and was purchases in limited amounts by DoD as a procurement contract on a piggyback with some other products. It is not the mainstay optic purchased, issued and used by the Gov't but they did test and purchase a bunch a few years ago. It works like it was designed and is fairly simple.

Best of luck to your daughter Madman. And you too!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

86er wrote:There are several lessons to learn here, and I'm not going to be the teacher on all of them. Mescalero has made a point several times that I heard loud and clear. But if a scope is going to break, any one can break. I tend to shoot a 3 shot group with a variable power by choosing the low power, middle power and high power. This ensures the POI does not move with a magnification change, and it lets me discover what magnification gives me the most clarity as well as when the magnification actually helps me shoot better. Then, if your trusty hunting rig does not hit where it has you should investigate the reason as soon as possible but before another hunt.

Anyway that Red/Green dot was designed for the Mil contract and was purchases in limited amounts by DoD as a procurement contract on a piggyback with some other products. It is not the mainstay optic purchased, issued and used by the Gov't but they did test and purchase a bunch a few years ago. It works like it was designed and is fairly simple.

Best of luck to your daughter Madman. And you too!
Thanks Joe!

I know that scope,the Kassanar was a cheap scope but if that was an expensive scope when they do that is it always just a scrap it deal or sometimes can they be fixed without involving send back to Mfg. Guess best way is just get one with lifetime warranty and if its kludged back it goes and most important test it like you said and test it early enough also in case something is kludged and you want to use that gun/scope you have proper amount of fix time!
Guess what also I am asking what do you think happened with that scope based on your experience?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It was painful to read madman's experience, I knew what was happening; could see it in my mind.
I make you guys a promise, in the future; I will refrain from entering these discussions.As my solution is not germane to the participants. They want an answer to their problem, but not my answer.
As I do not have the answer they want, I really should not muddy the water with my minority opinion.
I apologize if I have been a pain.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Madman,

I feel your pain, bro. I have this nice Marlin 375. It's worn a vintage '80s Weaver K4-1 since the day it was new. While I've hunted bear with it... it was a virgin... not a shot fired at a moving target... But, man, every year for 10 years it sighted in perfect. I mean really, not a moving part except for the focus. And I KNOW the ammo is good from year to year, it's the same, 375 Win brass, Hornady 220FP, 27.5 grains of Reloder 7. The gun sits in an assigned place in the safe. Move to Texas. Sighted in prior to 1st hog hunt... summer... no problems, just as before, 2" high at 100 yards. But, no shots at animals, just paper punchin'.

10 years ago, the kid spots a coyote in pasture from living room... grabs that rifle and a few rounds... 'neaks out thru garage and BOOM! Dead coy-dog.

This past summer, I take it out to RKrodle's to shoot. Can't get the optic to focus. Clean glasses, still no focus, reticle is fuzzy. Clean scope glass, still fuzzy... I go to eye-doc... nope your prescription is still good. Check other guns that wear glasses... all good. Dern it! 33 year old scope has bitten the dust! Contact Weaver, hehe... lifetime warranty, right? Wrong... Sorry Griff, that was before we bought the company and that scope is no longer covered... and they instruct me to send it to this other outfit. Cost to repair is more than a new scope!

I just ain't that sentimental. Even if it lasts another 20 years... I'll be in my 80's, gotta wonder, will a Marlin 375 wearin' an original Weaver K4-1 be worth more than that same Marlin 375 wearin' some other scope?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

To Mescalero - I appreciate your input on this topic. It is based on sound logic and experience and certainly something that needs to be considered. Keep it coming, don't shy away from it. Thanks
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:It was painful to read madman's experience, I knew what was happening; could see it in my mind.
I make you guys a promise, in the future; I will refrain from entering these discussions.As my solution is not germane to the participants. They want an answer to their problem, but not my answer.
As I do not have the answer they want, I really should not muddy the water with my minority opinion.
I apologize if I have been a pain.

Missing something here guys? Mesy, talk to me bro!

None of you guys are a pain. Always speak the truth to me guys if I did something or am doing something kludged. One at a time now! :lol:
Lord knows I have done and will do things that are kludged.
It's you guys and your knowledge, caring and compassion that I seek so many answers to gun stuff and just other stuff of life in general that I am thankful to belong on this forum.
I definitely did some major ranting on this topic not like I don't on others.
One thing I ask at least with my topics guys speak your mind, tell me what's what. Like I said I am not a Rocket Scientist but when you guys tell me something I think about it and never will just blow any of you guys off.
Mesy, maybe I missed something but I value your inputs as I value all your guys inputs on here. I value you as a friend too!
Joe, I probably bug you too much, you have a lot of stuff to do and really some of my questions you probably have heard 1000 times?
And then some you probably think What the Heck?
Anyhow having you guys makes me a better shooter, hunter and honestly a better person. Thanks!