Range Report - Model 64 Winchester 32 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Range Report - Model 64 Winchester 32 Special

Post by geobru »

I bought this rifle about a year ago. At the time, I loved the trigger (3.5 lbs.) and thought it had the potential to be a really accurate rifle. The first problem that emerged was the front sight was too short. I did some calculations and figured that the .260 sight would have to be replaced with a .310 tall sight. I found a 103C sight to put on the rifle and had it installed by the local purveyor of guns, who had a Williams sight pusher. (Did I mention that that is one slick tool?) Anyway, I went up on the hill last Saturday to see where it was shooting.

It was one of those days when the sun was bright, and my old eyes could see the sight picture clearly! For those whose eyes are old and failing, you can appreciate what a treat that is when it happens. I was shooting 50 yards from my rig. I put a sweatshirt over my rear view mirror for a forearm rest, and rested my elbow on the steering wheel, which made a pretty solid rest. For the first time in so long that I can't remember the last time that I could actually see the target and the front bead clearly. This picture shows the result. The group size was .366"
Model 64 T-1a 101913.jpg
In order to move the sight, I had to drive into town to use the sight pusher, so it was over 40 minutes between targets. In that 40 minutes, the light changed, and it took some work to get my eyes to see clearly again. The first three shots were scattered, then I shot 4 and 5 which were touching. I then moved the elevator up a notch and came up with this target with a group size of 0.87" for the last three shots.
Model 64 T-2a 101913.jpg
Not bad, but still too far to the left, so back to town I went. The sight was moved over a little more, and 40 minutes later I was back up on the hill shooting again. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the target to look sharp. It was an orange fuzz ball. The high flyer was the second shot when I tried taking a coarser bead, then decided to just shoot in a consistent manner. This is the result, group size 2". Sure wish I could see like I could when I was 25!
Model 64 T-3a 101913.jpg
I'm hoping that I will be able to try again when the light conditions are right for my eyes so I can see the sight picture more clearly.

At any rate, I am extremely pleased with the rifle's capability. This is a tack driver if the operator can see at all, and will be a great hunting rifle!
Next stop: cast bullets!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Report - Model 64 Winchester 32 Special

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Looks like it would make venison.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Good shooting, geobru. I know what you mean about seeing the target..I'm 66 and now shoot mostly from memory now...one item that has helped me is a Merit optical disc that suction cups to my glasses. It has an adjustable aperture that sharpens up the front sight. Try a plain black bull..easier for my eye to focus on than a bright color.. YMMV..Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I know your frustration very well, your shooting is a lot like mine, Good day bad day
I mostly bang steel anymore

ollogger
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Well, it looks like that rifle is going to shoot! And what a fine rifle: love that 64 configuration.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

yes, that M64 is a great rifle. I have a 1942/43 M64 chambered in 30WCF and am always looking for a mate in 32 Win. Special.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Ray Newman wrote:yes, that M64 is a great rifle. I have a 1942/43 M64 chambered in 30WCF and am always looking for a mate in 32 Win. Special.
When I picked this rifle up I was a little leery about the 32 special as a caliber, but once I got the reloading dies and some bullets, I was set. It may not be any different than a 30-30, but I love the looks of the rifle, and its performance says the rest.

This rifle has seen some action in its time and has some battle scars, but I like it just the way it is and probably won't touch the wood. The metal and wood both show honest wear, and are nicely balanced IMHO!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geobru on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Are there any particular accurizing tips for the 64's? I've read articles on the 94's with their barrel bands, but with the forearm cap and different magazine assembly on the 64's, much of that doesn't apply. It seems like mine sometimes wants to shift point of impact. It usually shoots good groups, but they will move several vertical inches at 100 yards from one range session to the next, staying with the same ammo. I use a peep sight with a small aperture for shooting from the bench, and the front sight is a Skinner flat blade. I usually shoot from a covered bench, so it's not the sun playing tricks with the sights. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Hawkins
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Someone who has better eyes than mine will have to give a younger perspective than me, but I find that the light conditions affect the vertical POI on different days.
Last edited by geobru on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Have a friend with a 94 in 32 Special and he raves about the accuracy. I would love to find a nice clean 64 like yours, but those are very hard to come by, in our area, at least.

Different light angles will affect POI, both vertical and horizontal, with a front sight on all guns, depending on the angle of light when it reflects off the front sight. I see this often enough when shooting my handguns, especially with the horizontal shift when the the sun is at a low angle in the sky. A front sight hood can reduce this, but, of course, that's a rare thing on handgun. All part of the game with shooting iron, but that's still the way I like to go with all our lever guns.

That's some fine, fine shooting, by the way.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Nice rifle and I totally understand the older eyes and open sights. I love hunting with open sighted rifles but in low light I just can't see the sights any more. My daughter hunts with a M64 in 30-30 and she loves it. Let us know how the next outing goes.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Absolutely agree with the comments about light on the sights, especially the front one. When I got it, the front sight was mangled a little, and was kinda-sorta round topped. I replaced that with a flat blade, and I always shoot from a covered bench as well, so not too much variation in the amount of light hitting it. I'm making some changes in the way I support it with the shooting bags, too. I was just wondering if there were any common mechanical issues I might check as well. Certainly possible that it's all the nut behind the trigger!

Hawkins
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I put a piece of tape on both the bag and the forearm and line them up the same each shot. I do not shoot the the same POI when I move from the bench to holding the rifle. On my 94 in 357 the difference was pretty dramatic.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

If the rifle doesn't already have one, a front sight hood might help. Also, at my advanced age I find open sights are a real challenge, so all my lever actions have Marbles tang sights. These are the bee's knees of iron sights, IMO.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

If you get vertical stringing from a Winchester, be it a 92, 94, 95, or whatever.... Check the fit of the buttstock between the upper and lower tangs. Sometimes, adding some shims under the upper tang tightens up the shooting quite a bit. A loose butt can throw shots waay high at even 100 yards.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Thanks for all the suggestions. QCI's suggestion about adding a shim under the upper tang is something I had not heard before. Is that because a loose stock would make it react a little differently to recoil each time? How about the forearm? It is a little loose--is there an easy way to tighten it?

Hawkins
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

If any of the wood is loose, it will affect accuracy, but in my experience, the fit of the buttstock is the most important. I have had to shim up several of them, especially old Winchesters that hung over the fireplace for years. The wood dries out and shrinks quite a bit. I have also soaked wood overnight in boiled linseed oil, thinned with turpentine. That treatment restored a few very badly shrunk stocks back to almost new. To tighten a loose forearm, cut thin strips of paper, just the size of the lip that goes into the receiver, and apply them to the lip using clear nail polish. Try one at a time until the fit is good and tight. Do the same at the front of the forearm, where it goes into the metal cap.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Get rid of any stock flex will help. 34 gr of H4895 with a Hornady 170gr fp shoots the best out of mine. That was a pet load from Ken Waters and it works great.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Thanks again to everyone for all the help. I'll try a few things and report back--with pictures, of course!

Hawkins