Leverguns and Squirrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cheyenne
Levergunner

Leverguns and Squirrels

Post by Cheyenne »

Okay, so maybe I lied in the title; not leverguns and squirrels, more like levergun and squirrel.

I went out hunting today for the first time (not just this season, but in my life). It took me twenty five years to finally get around to it, but I am glad I did. It wasn't a wildly successful day in terms of the amount of game taken, but for my first time hunting I am happy to bring anything home. Plus, I had a nice morning in the woods with a levergun, so I will call this day a winner.

I made a real mess of the skinning and cleaning. I have read how to do it, but I had to get my hands dirty to truly learn the procedure. Next time should be easier. I think I will freeze the fore legs and ribs for stew once I bag a bunch more and I will fry up the hind legs for tonight's appetizer.

The gun is a Browning BL-22, the ammunition was Remington Thunderbolts, and the Squirrel looks to be a Grey.
squirrel-10-21-13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leverguns and Squirrels

Post by Tycer »

Congratulations!!!
Here's how I do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RNdgyLTOwU
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, come over here and you can shoot as many as you like, all year round... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Good for you! Can't beat a day out squirrel hunting, packing a lever gun. As for cleaning, not to worry, it will get easier after the first thousand or so. :) Great eating, though.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Congrats on your first hunt! If you will google "squacks squirrel cleaning" you will find a video showing the easy way to handle squirrels. Squirrel hunting is a really good time.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats!!! :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

North Country Gal wrote:Good for you! Can't beat a day out squirrel hunting, packing a lever gun. As for cleaning, not to worry, it will get easier after the first thousand or so. :) Great eating, though.
+1

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

game keeper wrote:Congratulations, come over here and you can shoot as many as you like, all year round... :D
If spending the day with you, learning "the ropes" comes with that invite... I'd LOVE to take you up on it!!!

Congrats, Cheyenne... them little buggers are FAST! My dad used to complain about "HAVING" to hunt squirrels...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gvthnks
Levergunner

Post by gvthnks »

Spent many a morning or afternoon with that same rifle, after those same squirrels. Squirrel and dumplings anyone?

Congrats.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Well I am in the same boat as you were in YESTERDAY!
I have never shot a squirrel and have never tasted a squirrell, hell, I do not even know how to spell squirrel!
Come to think of it, there are no squirrels in Australia.
Get out there and have a god time, eat something you shot and enjoy life.
Pop.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Congratulations on a fun and successful hunt. Back when I lived in Lawrence, KS, there was some state land outside of town that had a pond on it. I used to go hide near the pond and get the squirrels as they came to drink. The woods there were thick with squirrels, and all I had was a Glenfield 60 semi-auto at the time. It took them cleanly using the plain round nose lead bullets. I had bought that rifle used and it has seen more use than anything else I have. I wish I had a place around here to try my Henry .22 on squirrels.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost