Marlin 336 Research & Development Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Marlin 336 Research & Development Rifle

Post by Sixgun »

Some of you may remember the post last week by Longrange 308 about a rifle he acquired. Well, I have since acquired it. :D I stripped that baby down to the last spring and one thing for sure, Longrange was right, there's not a mark on the gun, no inspector mark, no rollmark, no nothing.

Upon unwrapping the gun, I immediately shot one round out of it....you understand, some people have to do these things. A very light load it was, 2 grains of Bullseye and a 158 gr. .357 cast bullet. It went off very nicely. Thank you!

I then opened a box of 1950's Winchester loaded ammo and dumped 4 down the tube and cycled the action.....perfect. :D

I tested the trigger pull......2 pounds and crisp...very nice.

24" barrel

I did the above because I plan on doing a fair amount of work to this rifle (read on, no major alternations) and if it did not do the obvious, I was going to make a tomato stake out of it.

Spending several hours inspecting this rifle has convinced me its a pre-336 experimental gun from Marlin's research and development department, most likely made in 1947. The pictures and captions tell the story. This baby is going to made into the finest levergun silhouette rifle the world has ever seen. Its the perfect cartridge for the 200 meter rams, has a pistol grip, has a 24" barrel, short magazine, no stupid barrel bands, old style Ballard rifling, nice trigger, made in the U.S. of A., and you cannot hurt it, its a 336. :D-----------------------Sixgun Note--I'm not going to make any alternations to this gun.....I'm only going to cut a dovetail in the front ramp and fix up the rust.

It will garner lots of attention with the weird looking receiver and the magazine tube that's built like a .22 rifle.

The 336 was presented to the public in 1948 and I am sure there were several variations for marketing to look at...which ones would sell, the best looking, etc. These operations obviously took place right after the war, from 1946 to 1947.

If someone was going to steal a rifle via the lunchbox, he would not have had access to the R & D department, plus.....he would have stole a rifle that was complete and could use--read on.

The rifle disassembled ----no buttstock...gotta hunt one down.

Here's the loading system. Perfectly made. It has the latch with a spring and can be turned after latching so you won't lose it while hunting. Unlike any centerfire rifle of it's time.

Stripped receiver---in 40+ years of taking guns apart, I have never seen the underside of a barrel without some kind of marks.

There were many variations of the carrier. This one is the same design as the first 336's

Deep, heavy Ballard rifling.

There is no dovetail for the rear sight! How was the thief going to aim and shoot with it? :D

The ramp has been silver soldered on, but where is the dovetail for the front sight? :D

The clincher that this is an early 336. (Look on top of the press) All 336's have a 2 part trigger, there's the trigger and the sear that fits on it by a machine cut and a post to hold it together. This trigger is the same style as used on the Model 36, the predecessor to the 336, so Marlin used an old part in the development but changed it with production models. Thanks Longrange 308! I'll post pics when its good-to-go.---------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin 336 Research & Development Rifle

Post by yooper2 »

Thanks for sharing the detailed pics! This rifle really had me scratching my head. Great buy!

Eric
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very interesting & I hope it shoots your way to the top!!

ollogger
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Very, very interesting :D :D
Looking forward to the finished product :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Verrrry interesting! Thanks for the great update, Sixgun. Yep, that one will turn some heads when you show up to shoot.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun,

Good deal. Are you going to refinish as tho' new, or just correct current condition. Oughta be a head-turner! Good luck with it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Really like how the rifling looks. 2lb factory trigger on a lever, guess someone knew what they were doing when they fitted it huh?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Sorry I missed most of the thread originally posted on this rifle, but is it chambered for 35 Remington?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It'd be interesting if it is - since Marlin didn't introduce the .35 Rem chambering until 1950.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I like it Sixgun. :wink:
Yep, when you show up at the shoots, don't say a peep and just let them gawk at it. Kinda like when someone shows up at a Pride Ride and a 1950 Panhead Hydra Glide is his steed.
Then when you step up and show what you and that fine weapon can do, think they might want to sit down! :D

Very cool!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I love this stuff...what a very cool find, SIXGUN, you're assessment is a good answer to this rare Marlin...thanks for sharing... :)
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I'm curious too if they bothered to D&T the receiver for a peep sight. As the owner of a 1950 waffle top in 35 Remington, I find this all pretty fascinating. I picture that rifle being locked in the R&D department for years until, after some house keeping, someone decided to liberate it. What would a company like Marlin ordinarily do with a prototype like this, destroy it?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pete44ru wrote:.
It'd be interesting if it is - since Marlin didn't introduce the .35 Rem chambering until 1950.
Pete,
Beings that you are a semi-old head like myself, you should know better. Prototypes and research and development come BEFORE patent dates and patent dates come BEFORE actual production and advertising to the general public.

Therefore............Because there was no Internet, high speed CNC machinery, and a general attitude of "let's get this right before we release it to the public, (unlike today) sometimes it took several years for a gun to reach the market. It was an obvious choice to release the 336 in 30-30 first, but I'm sure other calibers were made as prototypes.

That explains why the Remington Model 25 has a 1910 patent date but was not released to the public until 1923.
I wonder if there is an explanation as to the 43 different chamberings of the 1886 Winchester when only 10 were released to the public. :D :D Sixgun

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff...no, no...I will leave this alone and just touch up the rust in a couple pf small spots. That early post war bluing stands out real nice and I want to leave it alone. The only alternation I'm going to do is to put a dovetail on the ramp so I can shoot it, but.......then only after I get it all together and I proof test it to make sure dimensions are correct as I don't want a rifle with a chamber or pressure issue. If I do have an issue, I'll get rid of it and the no-dovetail ramp helps in the sale.

If everything checks out, I'll add a tang sight using the stock bolt and epoxy-----don't want no extra holes.

Nemhed----no holes for a receiver sight. I have the gun wrapped up in cotton cloth soaked with PB Blaster to loosen up the rust and I spray it everyday and will leave it like that for a week or two.

Yea, thanks guys! It's been a while since any gun got me this excited, probably 15 years at least, when I snagged that 86 src.

Remember, you heard it first on Leverguns.com! :D -------Sixgun

Sssshhhhhh...Quiet...The Marlin is resting with his buddy, PB Blaster :D

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice catch!

I wonder if that piece might not be a candidate for reverse electrolysis.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

After Freedom Group bought out Marlin, they emptied out the company gun vault that was full of old prototypes and examples of production rifles. That's probably where this one came from.

I'd like to have got my hands on one of the short action 44 Mags with a round bolt like a 336 that were in there.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

44-40 Willy wrote:After Freedom Group bought out Marlin, they emptied out the company gun vault that was full of old prototypes and examples of production rifles. That's probably where this one came from.

I'd like to have got my hands on one of the short action 44 Mags with a round bolt like a 336 that were in there.
Possibly, but unlikely. The guy I got it from was just a regular guy like the rest of us and the story goes that his bud inherited it from his granddad. There was no reason to lie and I talked at length with Longrange 308 and he is an upstanding young man with good old fashioned family values.

But anyway, back to the vault thingy. Man! Just peeking in there would make my hair stand up. Must have been hundreds of neat stuff just waiting for greedy rifle loonies like me and you! :D

I did manage to scavenge an uncatalogued 'Smith and several Colts from their respective vaults, but really nothing outstanding, just weird, like me!-----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let's hard chrome that puppy! :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Let's hard chrome that puppy! :D
:P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sixgun wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:.
Pete,
Beings that you are a semi-old head like myself, you should know better. Prototypes and research and development come BEFORE patent dates and patent dates come BEFORE actual production and advertising to the general public.

Therefore............Because there was no Internet, high speed CNC machinery, and a general attitude of "let's get this right before we release it to the public, (unlike today) sometimes it took several years for a gun to reach the market. It was an obvious choice to release the 336 in 30-30 first, but I'm sure other calibers were made as prototypes.

That explains why the Remington Model 25 has a 1910 patent date but was not released to the public until 1923.
I wonder if there is an explanation as to the 43 different chamberings of the 1886 Winchester when only 10 were released to the public. :D :D Sixgun
IK - I just thought it interesting that Marlin considered the .35Rem (in addition to the .30-30 & .32 Spec) as a chambering, from the get-go.

I also wondered why Marlin waited 2 years after the 336 was introduced (1948) in the other chamberings before they included the .35 ? ?

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:
44-40 Willy wrote:After Freedom Group bought out Marlin, they emptied out the company gun vault that was full of old prototypes and examples of production rifles. That's probably where this one came from.

Possibly, but unlikely. The guy I got it from was just a regular guy like the rest of us and the story goes that his bud inherited it from his granddad. There was no reason to lie and I talked at length with Longrange 308 and he is an upstanding young man with good old fashioned family values.

But anyway, back to the vault thingy. Man! Just peeking in there would make my hair stand up. Must have been hundreds of neat stuff just waiting for greedy rifle loonies like me and you! :D

I did manage to scavenge an uncatalogued 'Smith and several Colts from their respective vaults, but really nothing outstanding, just weird, like me!-----6

It was my understanding that everything they brought forth from the vault was sold to Gander Mountain . As they had several 336ER's in 356 WIN and a couple other things I've forgotten now .

A fellow I used to talk with quite alot had an in at the Marlin factory and he told me there were 3 or 4 336ER's in 307 WIN in that vault . Seems these were the guns they sent to the gun scribes for field testing etc . I'da really liked to get my hands on one of those a few years back . Now I'd just be happy to get one of the 444 prototypes .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

This stuff seems to surface every once in a while and is much fun to speculate on. To bad there is no actual provenience to prove its history. Maybe one could locate a surviving Marlin employee from that era. Cool rifle in any case. I would love to own it.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:This stuff seems to surface every once in a while and is much fun to speculate on. To bad there is no actual provenience to prove its history. Maybe one could locate a surviving Marlin employee from that era. Cool rifle in any case. I would love to own it.
The guy I got my intel from was an engineer for the company at the time Cerebus bought them !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Very cool rifle. No sights! How interesting.

Cat
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Very, very cool thread and pics!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well, headache #1.

As I said in the post, the rifle did not have a buttstock and as I am anal about a correct stock from the time frame, I looked and looked..none.......until yesterday......but I had to buy a 1954 336 to get it!

It fits but looks crappy. Gonna take some magic to get it right. The tangs between the two rifles are about .080 apart. Well, do I cut the metal or cut the wood? :D ----6

Longrange308
Levergunner

Post by Longrange308 »

I'm gonna have to fly out to PA when you get that thing running 100% just so I can shoot it!! Maybe take a deer with it too, if you will let me!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well :D you could be hard headed or ----- :shock: :roll: :wink: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: Cut the wood. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fitted the wood last night. Looks perfect.

A couple of hours of putting on and taking off and grind some here and there with a Dremel :D

Longrange308
Levergunner

Post by Longrange308 »

Sixgun wrote:Fitted the wood last night. Looks perfect.

A couple of hours of putting on and taking off and grind some here and there with a Dremel :D
Pics or it didn't happen... :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Longrange308 wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Fitted the wood last night. Looks perfect.

Pics or it didn't happen... :lol:
Oh, it did happen. The tang measurements are a bit off from regular production 336's. I had to buy an early Marlin just for the buttstock, but lucky for me, I know a guy who has several of every year they were made. This one is from 1954.

I could have just waited until I found one at a show, but I wanted a stock "now".

I know why you wanted to see the pics because the stock you had on there was a very tight fit and was about a 1/4" from fully going on to the receiver.......right? :D 336's all have the same dimensions.........except r & d guns.

I stripped the original finish off and that's what you see in the pic.------6

Longrange308
Levergunner

Post by Longrange308 »

Stop making me regret that I sold that thing to you! :shock:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Longrange308 wrote:Stop making me regret that I sold that thing to you! :shock:
Every gun sold is a regret... :wink:

Some more than others though... :cry:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Longrange,
It's no biggie. Remember now, I feel like you got the deal. I bought you a new 30-30 of your choice and a mess of ammo to go with it. You did not get any headaches---- I did. But these are headaches that I enjoy. The heavy scale rust has been fun to play with and remember the rust in those wavy lines on top of the receiver? Talk about fun......a needle, rust remover and a magnifying glass......3 or 4 hours on that alone. Fun, fun, fun....another 4 hrs on the fitting of the stock.....4 hours on the unwanted dovetail.....2 hours on the muzzle, facing it off and recrowning it.......I have a long way to go yet...----6

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote:Longrange,
It's no biggie. Remember now, I feel like you got the deal. I bought you a new 30-30 of your choice and a mess of ammo to go with it. You did not get any headaches---- I did. But these are headaches that I enjoy. The heavy scale rust has been fun to play with and remember the rust in those wavy lines on top of the receiver? Talk about fun......a needle, rust remover and a magnifying glass......3 or 4 hours on that alone. Fun, fun, fun....another 4 hrs on the fitting of the stock.....4 hours on the unwanted dovetail.....2 hours on the muzzle, facing it off and recrowning it.......I have a long way to go yet...----6

So... when are you going to build a .444/.410 TD? :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Keep it going Six. YOu gotta make this thing look right!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Longrange308
Levergunner

Post by Longrange308 »

Oh, I know. That rifle is just cool though... Super cool.

I'll feel better when I finally take delivery on my new to me 1963 .35Rem 336RC... The thing is cherry!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Longrange,
get the brass I sent 'ya? Or, did you find any additional? I'm keeping my eye out.----------6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Ironsights wrote:
So... when are you going to build a .444/.410 TD? :twisted:
OI,

I've only had two 444's in my life and both were NIB Winchester guns and I got rid of them. Just could not get excited about the 444. It's a "me" thing as I think it's a great cartridge.

Takedown.....that stuff is over my head. I don't have no milling machine. I do everything the old fashioned way....files, simple, but quality tools, drill p and a bit of experience. I make my own jigs for perfect angles, etc. Its time consuming but this is how I unwind from a day of dealing with idiots at work and life's stresses.-----6

Longrange308
Levergunner

Post by Longrange308 »

get the brass I sent 'ya? Or, did you find any additional? I'm keeping my eye out.----------6

I did, and THANK YOU. Sorry I didn't call ya. I've been crazy busy with work and a new puppy.

I now have close to 60 or so pieces of brass, so I should be good to go for now. I found someone with another 170 or so pieces offering them to me for $100... Don't know if I want to take him up on it though.. Don't know if it's worth it.

Keep me/us updated on the progress you make with this rifle. It's a killer find for sure!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
You got a new dog? Any guy who likes dogs is OK!

A c-note for 170 empties? Kinda high but not terribly high. You just have to ask yourself , "do I need it now?" This is of course, if the brass is new. Once fired say......$60------6