The Last Case Colored Marlin 39-A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

The Last Case Colored Marlin 39-A

Post by Sixgun »

The sun shines brightly, especially in southeast Pennsylvania and once again, I have been blessed by the Levergun God (El Levy) who personally directed this Marlin to be beamed to the Sixgun homestead, via Targetmaster! :D EL Levy himself, back in the years 1870 to around 1945 required every household in southeast Pennsylvania to own 2 guns. One was directed to be used for hunting and self defense and the other was required to be kept new, covered with rust preventative, and secured for El Levy's personal successor, me, Sixgun. (pretty good, huh? Come on, laugh!) :D

OK, enough of the BS and on to business: This is the last Marlin .22 model 39-A, second variation, produced in the year 1941 only, to leave the factory color case hardened. No .22's were produced during the war and after the war, the third variation was identical, but blued........bummer......

I don't know if this coming part is true or not, but as the story goes, in late 1941, El Levy personally visited a man in Chadds Ford, Pa. and told him to guard this Marlin with his life, don't use it at all and direct his heirs to deposit this rifle at Targetmaster on Friday, September 27, 2013.

Everything was going as planned, the original owner kept it as new, tucked away in a closet, well oiled, away from inquisitive hands, especially hands that were salty. Then one day.....................the man died and the date was June 14, 1976. His heirs knew what needed to be done but one little lad, a boy of about 10 years old, named "Griffy" decided he was going to celebrate the Bi-Centennial with this hidden .22. He knew he was doing wrong but he justified his actions by thinking, "I want to make sure this rifle works, so I'm gonna shoot one box of bullets out of it. I want El Levy's successor, Sixgun to have a gun that works!"

So there you have it, little Griffy shot one box out of this gun on July 4th, 1976 and continued to preserve it and made the required deposit at Targetmaster this past Friday, where it was ceremoniously transferred to its righteous owner, via Form #4473, me, to be shot and used to my heart's content.-----Sixgun

Try to get a cat to do this. Even Twinkels knows this gun has "divine properties" :D

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Last Case Colored Marlin 39-A

Post by jdad »

Nice rifle!

Just an fyi,
The "B" prefix was 1940-1941 and unfortunately Marlin did not build sequentially. They just pulled a receiver out of a bin and assembled much like Winchester did at that time.

Marlin did have the nicest case back then. This was the nicest "B" I have owned.

Last edited by jdad on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tell you what - If you take that Rube Goldberg device off the tang I will be willing to trade you for one of the very last Marlin 39s to be made. Well if you pay the shipping and all and throw in a cute and exciting picture of Boots riding and shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

jdad,
Nice B gun! My number is 6430. we close?? Looks like El Levy is going to direct you to make a deposit.....here! :D Mines been shot a bit, not much, still a strong 90% colors, maybe more.

OS. I gotta research this "Ruby Goldberg" thing. It sounds funny and I'm laughing fairly heavy as I write this. That is an original Marble's Special base tang sight that I robbed off of another 39. :D

I tell 'ya, never a dull moment here. Wait 'till Boots hears about this!----------------------6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Boots and I won the lottery. She doesn't know yet. But put that funky thing back where is came from. Dan'el Boone nor Davy Crockett ever used those.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:jdad,
Nice B gun! My number is 6430. we close?? Looks like El Levy is going to direct you to make a deposit.....here! :D Mines been shot a bit, not much, still a strong 90% colors, maybe more.
The one in the picture had a 3-digit sn. I still have one "B" left (similar in condition to yours, but also has some butt stock handling marks) is 6189. It will eventually get sold off, to help fund :shock: some of my son's chemistry text books.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Boots and I won the lottery. She doesn't know yet. But put that funky thing back where is came from. Dan'el Boone nor Davy Crockett ever used those.
Ha! I just Wikipedia'ed "Rube Goldberg". Ha! He made complicated machines to do a simple process, so......I guess I can't argue with 'ya OS. A simple matchhead on the end of the barrel will probably do just as well, but Boots??? Don't know 'bout her. I think she can be complicated. She is certainly is witted and savvy so if you and her won the lottery, you better hurry and get your half, because I hear her and Brad bought some one way tickets to Alaska. :D ----------------6

jdad---241 numbers apart. maybe 2 weeks apart.----6
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

COSteve wrote:
jdad wrote:
Sixgun wrote:jdad,
The one in the picture had a 3-digit sn. I still have one "B" left (similar in condition to yours, but also has some butt stock handling marks) is 6189. It will eventually get sold off, to help fund :shock: some of my son's chemistry text books.
Sad to say but if your son's chemistry textbooks are the same price as my son's physics textbooks were, you're only going to get enough for 2, possibly 3 textbooks out of the sale.

You can "rent" used ones, for a considerable discount......thankfully.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Alaska - think snowbirds - they're just tryin' to throw you off the trail - think cowgirl at the beach - Malibu beach house and all. She is cute, sexy, smart and I bet tough. Those Malibu beach boys better be on their toes if they look like a rattlesnake around her. But I have the ticket - so this might be as close as it gets to looking like Alaska.

I am thinking maybe Brad can become a referee for women's beach volleyball, you know, make the tough calls - google that one and hit images so you can appreciate the culture.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WOW !! Nice Marlin. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
High maintenance and too much energy there. I prefer my Italian farm girl. She may watch me like a hawk, but she does not require Cadillacs, furs, and exotic vacations.

She's fine with me walking in the door with a Winchester a week, if I so desire. Don't get no better.

Now, on to this Rube Goldberg thingy.....still laughing :D ------6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The only part of that story you got wrong is that "Lil' Griffy" woulda NEVER sold that case colored 39 to Target Master! :P :P :lol: Nice gun, 1st dibs! :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six - you will likely live a long and happy life. I must journey down below to LA today to help my daughter move. :)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:The only part of that story you got wrong is that "Lil' Griffy" woulda NEVER sold that case colored 39 to Target Master! :P :P :lol: Nice gun, 1st dibs! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Hey Griff.....I knew you would like that one, you orney bugger! You just HAD to shoot it! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Six - you will likely live a long and happy life. I must journey down below to LA today to help my daughter move. :)
Don't know about long, but "happy" is the only way I plan on it, and at 59, I figured I won.

We all know everyone has 2 sides to them and in my early years, I had a hard time figuring out which way to go. It was easy to flip to the happy side. I got rid of everyone in my life who was a parasite. It don't matter if someone is rich or poor, black or white.......if you can be a good guy, your in like Flint, baby! :D Like I said, "guy". Never have been able to figure out the other sex. Besides, they don't like Winchesters or Colts! (Except that gal in Wyoming, Ms. Boots.....now there's a member of the fairer sex who could con me out of anything, except my W & C) Boy, that Brad is one lucky guy!------6

Oh, On your way back from south of LA, how about making a wide sweep around and stop by for some been. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one Sixgun :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, Six actually supposed to be at a reunion in Wilkes Barre next weekend but not happening this year. They are sending me some hard apple cider though. :) Supposed to be at another one in Las Vegas. Probably not there either or the one in Bordentown, NJ.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Borregos wrote:Nice one Sixgun :D :D
Thanks bud!

Ad OS, you sure get around!

On another note I got tired of asking the wife if I could use the computer so I bought me one of those Apple I-pads. New learning experience for a tart like me.

Well, gotta go...sighting in the new Marlin for the match next week.-----6
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

NICE!! RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I love color-case hardened firarms!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: